new BJ71 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
Hi, I just bought a 87 BJ71 of Canadian descent . Since I'm in Arizona and this is only the second 70 series I've actually got close enough to drive, I've got a question. This truck has no factory air conditioning. For those of you that aren't
aquainted with Arizona summers...they're hot!. I'd like to find, at least, the factory underdash evaporator. and perhaps an engine compressor mount. The restof the system is pretty universal. Did Toyota bring in 70s with the AC option to Canada or should I look to the middle east market for parts?

Thanks Dave

My understanding is that AC was not offered on any Canadian 70's.

Moreover, I didn't think there was such a thing as a Canadian 71 - I think the 71's were JDM-only?

Either way, AC wasn't a Canadian thing.

Moreover, I didn't think there was such a thing as a Canadian 71 - I think the 71's were JDM-only?

The VIN's for my Canadian spec trucks includes "BJ71" in the ID, so it appears to me that the Canadian spec trucks were in fact BJ71s which the community has just been calling BJ70s. I don't have any hard data; just the VINs.

My '85 has a BJ70 VIN.
And yes, sadly A/C was not an option for can-spec 70s.

Dave as everyone above has mentioned your only option is overseas-middle east or Europe,you can order in the dash evap form Dave at Japan4x4 but this alone was $1200,this might be the hardest part to find.Most of the underhood parts you should be able to adapt from either a LHD or RHD 70 series truck.
You might pm or email lshobie(Louis)I recall his truck from the mine had some sort of aftermarket unit.
There are some companies down south that sell kits for under dash mount but unfortunatly there is not much room in the 70..

James..

The VIN's for my Canadian spec trucks includes "BJ71" in the ID, so it appears to me that the Canadian spec trucks were in fact BJ71s which the community has just been calling BJ70s. I don't have any hard data; just the VINs.

Iiiinteresting.

The EPC (well, the Toyodiy version, anyway), doesn't list BJ71's if you select the Canadian market, but it does for the Japanese market.

No chance your trucks were originally JDM origin?

What engine is in your BJ71? The EPC claims they were JDM and EUR markets only, and only with a 13BT.

Some Canadian BJ70s have a VIN that starts with JT3BJ71..., they are still a BJ70 model as a BJ71 has a 13BT in it and not a 3B.

I know, it's odd, but that's the way it is. You will need to source parts for a BJ70 when you go looking.

~John

AC can be retro-fitted with the right parts. There's a 'Mud vendor in California that may have the parts.

~John

Hi All:

Dave, he goes by tlcruiserman here on MUD. This is his business website:

West Coast Cruisers

Regards,

Alan

Some Canadian BJ70s have a VIN that starts with JT3BJ71..., they are still a BJ70 model as a BJ71 has a 13BT in it and not a 3B.

I know, it's odd, but that's the way it is. You will need to source parts for a BJ70 when you go looking.

~John

Word. My 87 vin is jt3bj71xxxxxxxxxx. It's a CDM with a 3B. No CDM rigs came equipped with A/C from what I've heard. It's way too cold in Canada for A/C eh!

That being said, the P.O. of mine sourced all the parts from Japan and installed a/c when he moved from Canada to Sacramento, CA. And it works very well, but I think it was a spendy and time consuming endeavor. But having had a 70 with no a/c I would not have bought another without it.

So it can be done, at a cost. I wonder if you can use some FJ61 parts (except for the 24V things) that can prolly be sourced at wrecking yards and cobble something together?

dave-

for the a/c you have to get the engine brackets, a/c evap case for left hand drive (usually only new about $1000), and a few other giblets for diesel only. You are welcome to my extra rhd evap case- but I don't think it will fit.

ALSO, now you have a full time resident get going on the rear bumper with spare tire hinge pivot that does not block the tail light. Look at the hummer 2 swing out for thoughts.....

rick
tucson

Thanks, everyone I'll check out these sources. And Rick, I'll be starting with the front bumper, and ponder the rear. I'll keep Tim informed of that progress. This weekend I'm working on suspension and evaluating that crusty brown stuff underneath....I believe you guys in the wet and cold areas call it rust. Being in AZ
I had to look that up on the internet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom