need local help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Youve checked the o2 s but have you checked all the associated wiring as well?

And the harness had no suspect wires?

If you feel its ecu then you may try car-part

I haven't checked the other 02 wiring, I'll look at that when its light out. The wiring harness by the EGR looked good. I checked it wire by wire. I think I have a line on a 94 ECU. Waiting to hear back on it.

Have you checked your compression
No, not yet. I have a compression gauge but don't have a good way to do it by myself. I'll get my neighbor over soon to help.

Could misadjusted valves cause it to idle rough? It hasn't idled well since I've had it.

Last edited:
yes, or low compression. a vacuum leak will also cause a rough idle. you can place a vacuum gauge on one of you manifold ports and see if you get a steady reading. you should be able to go to the auto part store and borrow a compression gauge form their loan a tool program.

you can do the compression test by your self. remove the EFI fuse, then remove all the plugs ( keep them in order 1-6), then attach the gauge to cylinder 1 and turn the motor over 3 or 4 time (with the key/starter combo) and record the reading, then move on to #2 rinse and repeat. compare the numbers at the end. check the color and the gap on your plugs (re-gap if needed) while they are out, put a little smear of anti-seize on the threads of the plugs, re-install the plugs, wires and plug the EFI fuse back in.

Compression pressure: 1,176 kPa (171 psi) or more.
Minimum pressure: 883 kPa (128 psi)
Difference between each cylinder: 98 kPa (14 psi) or less

Last edited:
Could misadjusted valves cause it to idle rough? It hasn't idled well since I've had it.

Your description of symptoms continue to include intermittent or non-consistent running conditions ... Sometimes the idle, sometimes a lot of pedal with no response, and sometimes it cleans out and pulls fine. Based on those items, no, not the valves (which are hardly adjustable anyway), and not compression. If it has ever smoothed out and provided a solid pull those items are fine.

Edit ... Has anyone else had the opportunity to drive and provide feedback?

Thanks for the info! The compression gauge I have isn't the screw in type, it just had the tapered rubber end on it. I'll get one that screws in and check the numbers.

i wonder if the sock in the fuel tank is picking up some trash and causing interment issues.

Your description of symptoms continue to include intermittent or non-consistent running conditions ... Sometimes the idle, sometimes a lot of pedal with no response, and sometimes it cleans out and pulls fine. Based on those items, no, not the valves (which are hardly adjustable anyway), and not compression. If it has ever smoothed out and provided a solid pull those items are fine.

Edit ... Has anyone else had the opportunity to drive and provide feedback?
What else should I look at? No one else that knows cruisers has driven it.

i wonder if the sock in the fuel tank is picking up some trash and causing interment issues.

@jfz80 had some fueling issues on his 80 and found a way to rig a fuel pressure guage he could monitor while driving. That would be some valuable information to have.

The idle is never great, and changes rpm from stoplight to stoplight.

What do y'all think about the timing issue? Why would it only be somewhat drive able when the timing is advanced way past factory spec?

The idle is never great, and changes rpm from stoplight to stoplight.

Has there ever been a time you could put your foot in it and the engine really pulled like it should, at any RPM?

Has there ever been a time you could put your foot in it and the engine really pulled like it should, at any RPM?
When I first got it, it had a flat spot in it through half throttle. It never really had as much power as I thought it should down low. It has always pulled pretty decent on the top end. I've never driven another 80 so I don't have much to compare it to.

getting the compression and checking the gap on the plugs wont cost anything but a little time.

while your at it check the resistance on your coil, plugs and plug wires just to make sure there are no issues.

ign.JPG

your welcome to drive mine. i live in fuquay varina.

your welcome to drive mine. i live in fuquay varina.
You aren't terribly far from me then. Would you be willing to give mine a once over if I brought it to you? I'd be happy to bring beer!

I think I just need another set of eyes and ears on it. I'm all over the place and getting nowhere with it.

When I first got it, it had a flat spot in it through half throttle. It never really had as much power as I thought it should down low. It has always pulled pretty decent on the top end. I've never driven another 80 so I don't have much to compare it to.

This helps. To say it can pull okay at some RPM tells us the mechanicals are likely okay. This brings us back to the most likely issue, stoichiometry. The wrong O2/fuel mix. So, AFM, O2 sensor, or something in the fuel delivery system is f'ing up the works.

Sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom