need local help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to try to find a distributor first, then a ecu. I'm going to clean the afm again today. The 02 sensors are both new Denso units.

Not much about the VAF that can be cleaned. If you pull out the screws it will be destroyed.

Anyone got test procedure for the AFM on my 93? I have a 96 FSM but the terminals are different.

96 uses a MAF sensor. You want to download the FSM for a 93 or a 94.

Wanted: VAF and IAC for a 93. Both are way out per FSM test.

Make sure you post that up in the wanted section of the main forum. Also check out the parting out section. There are normally some 80's in there.

I have a 95 iac you could test with.
I do not know if it the same as 93 but imagine so.

Likely could part with it if it helped.

45min n of i40 madison nc

Update on the 80. Tried another IAC, no difference. Installed a spare coil I had, no difference. I'm pretty much at the end of my diagnosing abilities. The only thing I haven't tried is another AFM. I don't have the coin for one, and inexplicably no one makes a reman or new one other than Toyota. Parts for these things are just ridiculous, I should have stuck with pickups.

And now it surges at idle, so that's a fun new thing it's doing these days.

Meh. Pickups are too light and capable with plentiful parts. ;)

Have you unplugged the battery for a few min after some of these swaps and given the ecu a chance to reset and relearn?

Not sure if it will help or not but it wont hurt. Just thinkimg out loud. If you did it will idle funny till it re learns.

It started surging before the latest ecu reset. I did pull the fuse earlier this evening and it was still doing the same thing when I started it up. If it doesn't clear up in a day or two ill send that IAC back to ya!

The reasons you listed are exactly why I love the pickups haha

Update on the 80. Tried another IAC, no difference. Installed a spare coil I had, no difference. I'm pretty much at the end of my diagnosing abilities. The only thing I haven't tried is another AFM. I don't have the coin for one, and inexplicably no one makes a reman or new one other than Toyota. Parts for these things are just ridiculous, I should have stuck with pickups.

The AFM is discontinued from Toyota.

Did you swap out the ECU as recommended?

Still guessing it's the O2 sensors.

I feel your pain. You are dealing with early, mass produced fuel injection. Try pulling out an old Commodore 64 and working with it and you will have similar frustration.

I believe I have a 92 and 94 that still have AFM on them. Not sure if they will fit but you are welcome to try.

I don't have an ECU to swap out. If anyone has a spare I could try that would be awesome. I have tested both my 02's, which are new, and they are good.

I feel your pain. You are dealing with early, mass produced fuel injection. Try pulling out an old Commodore 64 and working with it and you will have similar frustration.

I believe I have a 92 and 94 that still have AFM on them. Not sure if they will fit but you are welcome to try.

The 92 won't work, but I'll give the 94 AFM a try if you don't mind!

Let me take a look under the hood some time today and make sure it is still there.

The AFM didn't make any difference. The only way I can get it half way drive able is to put the distributor back where it was originally, which is pretty much advanced all the way in the adjustment slot. I'm not sure why it was like that to begin with. I installed it and got the rotor pointing at plug #1 per FSM instructions. I'm getting a mild "popping back" under acceleration at lower speeds but it seems to pull pretty decent under hard acceleration. The motor still shakes at idle which can be felt inside the truck.

Youve checked the o2 s but have you checked all the associated wiring as well?

And the harness had no suspect wires?

If you feel its ecu then you may try car-part

Have you checked your compression

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom