Need Help with putting engine back together. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friend got a 94 Toyota Pickup 4x4 in a trade and I am putting it back together for him. The engine had a new head put on, then left all of the parts in boxes and that is how i received it. I am looking for a picture of the EFI intake removed, and what is underneath the EFI unit. I have to figure out if all the parts are there or not. So far I have had to find a new Alternator bracket, because it was not in the parts that were given to me. I bought all new gaskets, had to come up with several bolts, and new grill clips directly from Toyota. Please let me now if anyone has some old pictures of what is underneath the EFI unit.
100_2121.jpg
100_2100.jpg
100_2115.jpg

1st off, make sure there is a bolt in the back of the timing cover on the D side... It's pretty hidden. It's right where the water outlet is for the waterpump before it goes into the U shaped hose. It pulls the timing cover back onto the block. If it's not on there it will leak oil bad.

2nd, the two pipes you need next are under the radiator... (do the alt, motormouts, PS bracket and PS pump and two hoses and you're done on that side)

3rd... Spin that AC compressor around and put it in the battery tray... Then bungee cord it there. Get it out of your way.

Torque the lower intake on and fish the wiring harness through... Cold start, 1,2,3,4 cyliders and there's 2 that point at the firewall...

That's all I got for now...

Don't forget the prime the oil pump... There are one or two small holes under the big hole in the center where the oil filter goes. I highly advise you to put some oil in there. A turkey baster or syringe will work nicely.

It will be running down to the pump, and if it doesn't seep around it by BTT you put the engine together, you can just rotate the engine backwards a little and prime the oil pump gears...

progress so far. I am looking to know where the air injection tubes go, in a picture please.
100_2181.jpg
100_2176.jpg

how's it coming?

man I was hoping you wouldn't say that...

as far as my memory, and my RTE,,, the pipe dosnt look right... And on my RTE, there's nothing there...

AND middle of the intake is one of the hardest (IMO) to put on pipes there is... It uses very small bolts that could be hard to start...

sorry I don't have an RE to double check on... But that pipe does not look right to me...

so, anyone else with a PICTURE of the engine with the EFI intake removed? Please!

i have no pics but that is your egr pipe goes to the back of the air chamber, on the very top in the back buy the fire wall.

PicS019.jpg

PicS020.jpg

PicS017.jpg

PicS018.jpg

Last edited:
what in the .... is that, well i have learned my something new today!
you can thank uncle sam for that mess.
i do not see any electrical connections on that mess, i would look into shedding it and some weight.

I don't put the engine in, then finish everything around it for just this reason...

You are gonna have a time with that coolant pipe that runs to the middle of the intake.

I'm wondering if you can't just remove the motor mounts, then drop the engine down with a hoist, then snake one pipe out, and both back in and be better off...

PicS011.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot express enough, how easy every bolt you're gonna be dealing with can either cross thread or pull the threads out with it as it comes...

May the force be with you...

As long as you don't have my luck, you'll be fine:D

Well, I REALLY hate to tell ya this, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to pull the upper intake back off to get that one line installed that goes to the bottom of the lower intake. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the fuel filter to get it to bolt up to the side of the block in the right place. ...and you might even have to drop the engine down some (remove a mount) to get it installed around the back of the head since there's no room to get it down in there without bending it.

When I'm building a motor that particular tube goes on before it ever leaves the engine stand. I just saw this thread and can take some pics if you need any more!
Later,
Chad

Slight Hijack:

Hilux, does the wiring harness usually run through the middle of the lower plenum (between the two sets of runners). Mine's an automatic, and it's impossible to pull the lower intake out without pulling the tranny solenoids, O2 sensor, etc wires and pulling the harness back up. Kinda a PITA.

Installing that PAIR valve tube and the other tube is tricky. My 22RTE doesn't have one, but my 22RE does. I didn't drop the engine, but I have lots of cuts on my hands from the installation. Fuel filter bracket definitely has to come out to get the middle manifold tube installed. I've been there before. :eek:

These pictures Help me out! Outstanding, Thank you very much. Yes I will have to remove the Intake again, and that's fine. The Fuel filter has not been installed yet, so that is to my advantage right now. I will get back to it monday on my day off. Thank you Mud community! Also I found this large diamiter shinny tube that is bent in almost a 90 degree turn, where does that sucker go?

Slight Hijack:

Hilux, does the wiring harness usually run through the middle of the lower plenum (between the two sets of runners). Mine's an automatic, and it's impossible to pull the lower intake out without pulling the tranny solenoids, O2 sensor, etc wires and pulling the harness back up. Kinda a PITA.

Yepporino! I've asked a hundred times but got all different kinds of feedback...

But one could possibly cut a slit in the center of the lower intake, between the two runners, to make disassembly a little better...

On an AT... Isn't there 3 weather connectors, close to the starter, that you can d/c and separate from the harness? :confused:

My 22RTE doesn't have one, but my 22RE does.

yep... no EGR on a Turbo, right?

I wondered why mine didn't have anything... BY LUCK I found that intake in with a pile of about 20 others...

My lazyness paid off! :D

Last edited:
Oh, it has a 3 inch body lift on it, so it makes it easier to get at things in the engine bay. getting behind the engine is easy with the body lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom