Need Help. Shop tells me I need a new hub... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I had my 80 in the shop getting ARBs and 5.29s installed. When I got the cruiser back they told me that I need a new hub on the driver side front. I thought it kind of weird as although I dont know a whole lot, it doesnt seem like these rigs go through hubs a whole lot correct? I had to take the vehicle back into them to fix a few things and they told me again that it was already loose again and that I needed a new hub. So tonight I jacked up the front end and there was a good amount of play in both sides. I took the driver side apart and couldnt see anything really wrong with the hub? I reset the preload and there was no slop in the tire when I put it back on. I will need to drive it some to see if it loosens up again I guess. I will redo the preload on the passenger side in the morning. Does any of this sound like I need a new hub? Could it be that they just didnt set the preload tight enough? Again I am fairly new to all of this.

It might be they are not properly torquing the 2ed nut tight enough (42ft/lbs IIRC) and just snugging it against the primary and then staking it.

Have them follow the factory service manual method for setting hub preload, including the fish scale. THEN they can determine whether a new hub is needed.

Unless there is something mechanically wrong with a hub the only reason for it to have play at the wheel is if the bearing races were not properly seated when they were installed. When the bearings are preloaded as per the service manual this should fix the problem but maybe not. Driving the vehicle will eventually get the bearing races to fully seat if they are able to move and the bearings will loose their preload. Resetting the preload correctly and driving the vehicle will soon tell you if their is an underlying problem.
Don't worry to much because the wheel / hub can't fall off because it is trapped by the brake caliber.
Check it after running it for a while and if their is no free. Play in the wheel at the 12 & 6 position all should be good.

I forgot to fold the lock tab after resetting the preload on my left front wheel bearing and did nearly 1000km before tearing into it and resetting the preload and correctly folding the lock tab. No problems at all.

The wheel bearing preload will loosen up if the spindle has become worn where the outer bearing rides. So if you need any new parts it might be spindles, not hubs. A quick fix would be to "stake" the spindles (not referring to bending star washer tabs). Staking the spindle entails striking the worn or low section of the spindle (between 3 and 9 O'clock across the underside of the spindle tube) with a hardened punch to raise up a bit of metal; do that 2-3 dozen times and you can increase the OD of the spindle tube where the outer bearing rides; then when you set the preload it will stay tight. Best would be to get a new set of spindles if you find yours are worn, but then again I staked my spindles 50,000 miles ago and the front wheel bearings are still snug. The fish scale method had been discussed many times on the forum as giving erratic results.

Consider the TG chromoly spindle nut to help holding preload...it's one of the few TG parts that's worth the money.
DSC_2497_zpsnn7lhugz.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. I reset the preload on both fronts. Went camping with it this weekend. Drove a total of about 90 miles. Just checked each side and there is still 0 play. Hoping that they just didnt set the preload correctly and that is all it was. Spindles both looked fine. Couldnt physically see anything wrong with the hubs. But both sides definitely had way to much play in them before resetting the preload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom