New here and need help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all I am new to mud and new to owning my 80 series. I recently picked up a 1993 cruiser with 172000 miles on it and I love it, I cleaned it up a little put a lift wheels and tires on it and I daily drive it no issues whatsoever its a great rig.... until this morning. I was driving to work around 60mph and the engine(1fz-fe) just died. I still had auxiliary power my music never shut off nothing odd happened other than the engine just dying, I than pulled over with no power stopped for a second to check I still had all my fluids and got back in it started right back up no issues since than at all I drove it the rest of the way to work and back home with no issues. never gives me any trouble starting or anything so I'm really at a loss as my previous vehicle was a 97 3rd gen 4 runner with a 2.7. does anyone have any idea why this could have happened? my first thought was a fuel issue but I really don't know what to look for. (no check engine light) Thank you all in advance!

A good friend of mine has a '94 that has had intermittent issues for years. He's been back and forth through all systems with varied, short term success but no complete fixes for the occasional issues. To cut to the chase, his ignition switch was having trouble.

I'd definitely replace the fusible links and put a spare in the 80, just because. From there I'd keep an eye on the ignition switch along with all of the other rabbit trails you may consider.

Check battery terminal clamps and grounds too. I’ve seen a NEG terminal clamp crack and not allow enough clamping force for acceptable contact before. I’ve also seen them wiggle lose wheeling and stop a truck in its tracks.

Check for cracks in the air intake pipe...give pressure to it pushing and pulling it ...my LX would cut off in traffic any time I accelerated hard or reversed - still had aux power...ended up being a crack in the intake...only presented itself when engine had a slight tilt from torque ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom