Need a new timing chain. Mechanics in Montana? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I took the cruiser (93 fzj80) to Rising Sun in Bozeman on Friday. They're saying its the timing chain and the labor alone will be 17 hours and 3800 dollars for just labor and will be more for parts and more if the heads need to be machined. This to me sounds absolutely insane. Im in big sky and don't have anywhere to work on this bad boy except outside on the gravel at the ranch I'm staying at. I have mechanical ability but zero experience working on these.I'd be happy to pay someone within 200 miles of Bozeman to do the job but that rate seems ridiculous.

Anyone have any input on a mechanic or where I can source the parts and possibly do it myself and would this be a job I could tackle?

Rising sun is legit, if they said that's the cost then that's the cost. There's also overland cruisers, but not going to be any cheaper. Lots of active members in the 406 cruisers clubhouse forum. They may have leads on another mechanic or a spot to work. I've lent my garage to traveling cruiser heads but this seems like a big job.

So I took the cruiser (93 fzj80) to Rising Sun in Bozeman on Friday. They're saying its the timing chain and the labor alone will be 17 hours and 3800 dollars for just labor and will be more for parts and more if the heads need to be machined. This to me sounds absolutely insane. Im in big sky and don't have anywhere to work on this bad boy except outside on the gravel at the ranch I'm staying at. I have mechanical ability but zero experience working on these.I'd be happy to pay someone within 200 miles of Bozeman to do the job but that rate seems ridiculous.

Anyone have any input on a mechanic or where I can source the parts and possibly do it myself and would this be a job I could tackle?
Unrelated to my comments below, while I live in Sacramento, I have a place on the north side of Bozeman.

It seems odd to me that the timing chain is the only thing worn-out. It has a easy life riding in a bath of oil. Now the guide/tensioner I can understand that they would be trash. My gut tells me that if the chain is really bad then the engine should be rebuilt. On the bright side, a fresh engine is super reliable. Doing it yourself is really the way to go, but...
I hope I'm completely wrong about the above.
No matter what, best of luck.
BTW, I completely rebuilt mine. Not too difficult, but not cheap or quick.

I have never seen a chain wear out in the 10+ rebuild I have done lots of broken dampener pieces but not a chain. What’s your symptoms. You can get all your parts from partsouq or your local dealer. You will need a HG full rebuild kit, slipper, dampener, chain, tensioner and 2 tubes of FIPG. That’s only about $400 in parts. Obviously you can get into the weeds and replace all kinds of stuff. They will need to pull your head and your upper oil pan which the labor hours sound about right for that much work. If I was doing that job I would pull the drivetrain, send the head out for a full rebuild about $800 in my area. Clean up the block check your bearings and if they are torn up rebuild the short block about $1500 in parts and machine work. Then you have a brand new engine. Or if the bearings are good reassemble. You can pull the head in the truck and the upper pan it’s just tough doing it by yourself that head is long and cumbersome.

Did you or someone else pull the valve cover to inspect the timing chain and upper sprocket or is this diagnosis an assumption?

Labor rates are through the roof these days and I think you’d be better off in the end if you A. bought an entire used engine. B. Use that $3800 to put toward a different set of wheels for the time being until you are in a better place to do this not so complicated job yourself. C. for roughly twice that $3800 shop estimate, which will wind you up with the same old engine plus a new timing chain, you could purchase a 1fz rebuilt by @Fj80oregon here on the Mud channel using all OEM parts and a small machine shop that now has a lot of experience with these engines.

And if money is tight there are those remanufactured engines out there which are cheaper, but kind of risky. I just don’t like to dump my wallet on labor because in the end you are left holding nothing in your hands for the money spent. Think long term here if you’ve planned to keep your 80. In a few years from now how will the money you spend on this today be serving you best?

My cruiser came out of big sky when I worked up there.
heard nothing but good about these guys.

406 cruiser club is pretty active as well. May be able to find someone local that can help ya

Timing chain is a lifetime part as i recall. What are your symptoms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom