Need help - mounting winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, done! It helps when you understand the concept!

New pics -

#1 is the top of the gearbox side after removing it from the main assembly. #2 shows the new position, rotated one position. #3 shows the reassembled unit. #4 shows it clearing in the engaged position! And I hope #5 doesn't introduce a new problem of interfering with the bumper while disengaged! I'll figure that out later. And #6 shows the trimmed plate and all how it should fit together.

I hope it's not premature, but thank you all for the help.
image-1534410458.jpg
image-3308680137.jpg
image-1059165335.jpg
image-3452745102.jpg
image-3969308458.jpg
image-1844930867.jpg

Looks good and glad it worked for you.

Forgot you were doing the hidden winch with factory bumper setup. I'm thinking your gonna have to rotate it quite a bit more to get it down so you can reach up and under the bumper to turn it. Probably somewhere between the 3 o'clock position to 7 o'clock looking from the side. Because you do need to "disengage" it every time you use it to pull the wire rope out. If you try to run the motor to spool out the rope you will burn out the internal braking system. At least that is what my manual says.

I thought about that. I think I can just pull those air vents out and maybe reach in and turn it. If not... I'll be turning it more as you said.

Nice.

They were having a sale on the 9K. It was reduced, and somehow I got to apply the 20% off twice to the order. IIRC, I got the thing for $250, shipped.

I don't plan on using it often... if I lived out west and went crawling with it, I probably would have spent money on a better name brand or something. But I couldn't beat this deal with a stick :)

Makes sense. I just saw it was only $30 more for the 12k and had the same dimensions, so I was wondering. Good deal.

The other issue is the mounting bracket is only "rated" for 10K. I dunno how much that really makes a difference, as the mounting plate claims compatibility with the 12K winch as well. Oh well! But yes, if it was only a $30 difference I probably would have got it.

I think the cheapest you can get the 12k now is $320. $399 - $80 with a 20% off coupon available in some off road magazines.

I think you'll be able to reach the lever through the opening in the bumper. Where do you plan to mount the solenoid box?

Just did more cutting on the bumper and test fitting. Still need to drill the holes for mounting the plate, but I've got a good feel for how it's going to sit now. I havent started looking for a spot for the solenoid box yet....

In the 2nd pic you can see the handle that started this thread :). Very easy to get to with the mini-grill removed.
image-1403264681.jpg
image-4037187706.jpg

Yeah, but it's a damn hack-a-thon when it comes to the 80 :)

That's ok. I'll get an ARB at some point in the future. For now, this channel mount and my bumper are but means to an end...

Old thread but curious how many opportunities you have had to use you Badlands 9000, how has it peformed and does it appear to be holding up well?

Thanks

I've had a few. It's done well!

Now, I say that, and a few months ago I completely soaked my truck trying to go thru 4' of water... I'm going to try and take it apart this weekend and see if there's any damage to it. But my stupidity aside, it's done great - pulled out a number of folks from mud, pulled a 60 back up a ledge, no problems.

Excellent - thanks for the detailed reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom