My "Rattle-can Resto," or How I Spent My Summer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i've been looking forward to the completion of your project - you certainly did a really good job! Doesn't even matter if you are using rattle can.. patience and attention to detail will always pay off

For example, if you're like me you're thinking it would look even better with a 2.5" OME lift on it, right?
-Ed

lookin awesome, man. i'm sure you've heard by now, but the hell creek kit is pretty sweet for alot less money. i've put two sets on 40's (both 4 inch) and they ride great. i'll never fork out the dough for an ome kit as long as hell creek is still making kits. just my .02

Thanks for the compliments guys! Certainly not complete yet but definetely at a milestone. I'll keep this thread updated as I complete work on the doors and hardtop, wiring, etc. :cheers:

-Ed

i've been looking forward to the completion of your project - you certainly did a really good job! Doesn't even matter if you are using rattle can.. patience and attention to detail will always pay off

This rig looks amazing. I'm glad to see it shape up so well. I bet not one soul misses that post-apocalyptic cammo job.

I couldn't resist:
This looks GREAT!
Im planning a rattle can job for mine as well for the reasons stated above regarding trail stripes.
You did an amazing job on the application.
Ive got that POS diamond plate on the rears as well. Took of ONE side so far...Someone actually shoved a PEPSI CAN in the GLOB of bondo to use as backing reinforcement. What do people think!?!?!?!

Chicago

Mud. The PO of my rig smeared Bondo over mud on my rear corners.
I just bought the truck, and was hosing down the undercarriage, and the inevitable crack in the bondo began spewing red-brown mud like a muskrat hole in a winter rainstorm.
I agree: "What do people think!?!?!?!"

Last edited:
Im impressed by the rattle can job.....even in a garage not a booth. Solid.

Big T

That's a great looking '40 and a well written story. It's interesting to see how others achieve the goal of a reliable, good looking cruiser.
That roll bar brought back memories. I had a similar bar in mine and figured that sheet metal cap was for mounting lights or some other '70's hipsterdoofus appliance (lightbar, siren, foghorn, radar... ) until someone on MUD pointed out that they were for roll overs in sand. The greater surface area would support the vehicle in soft conditions. I ended up removing the 'cap', locating the rear bar to the back of the mount and welding the support 90 degrees between the 2 bars. It created more of a cage to protect the rear passengers.

fj40005.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

With SOR family top.

I like what you did with the bar. I was thinking of doing something along those same lines. My goal is to get jump seats back there again and provide passengers a bit of protection. By the way, I never get tired of seeing pics of your rig, Fireflyr, one of the best looking on the forum. :cheers:

-Ed

That's a great looking '40 and a well written story. It's interesting to see how others achieve the goal of a reliable, good looking cruiser.
That roll bar brought back memories. I had a similar bar in mine and figured that sheet metal cap was for mounting lights or some other '70's hipsterdoofus appliance (lightbar, siren, foghorn, radar... ) until someone on MUD pointed out that they were for roll overs in sand. The greater surface area would support the vehicle in soft conditions. I ended up removing the 'cap', locating the rear bar to the back of the mount and welding the support 90 degrees between the 2 bars. It created more of a cage to protect the rear passengers.

fj40005.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

With SOR family top.

Door Rehab

Finally got the doors on after working diligently on them for the last few weeks. I'm quite happy with the results even tho I was skeptical initially that I could pull off the sheet metal repairs. I had fun during the process and took a lot of pics. Please note that my welding skills are terrible and all the repairs were done with a crappy wire feed welder. However, I think the low power of the unit actually helped.

Both doors had some damage from the PO's roll cage. He basically just mashed the doors into the front part of his ill fitting piece of crap cage. Fortnuately they were completely free of rust and otherwise very straight. The following photos show how I repaired them with some pretty basic tools.
P1010344A.jpg
P1010345A.jpg
P1010346A.jpg

Couple pics of the completed pieces welded on. Also, the door limiter pivot on the passenger side was broken off. The door limiters themselves were long gone. PO had bolted a short section of chain to each door to act as the limiter. That s*** had to go.
P1010348A.jpg
P1010350A.jpg
P1010349A.jpg

Stripped, skimmed my repairs lightly with filler and sanded. As before I used wax and grease remover and a tack cloth to get as dust free a finish as possible. Primed them and laid down some rattle-can. They are starting to look really good now.
P1010353A.jpg
P1010361-(2)A.jpg

I ordered all new weather stripping for the doors. Now, don't hate on me all you OEM purists but I did order the kit from CCOT. I think it was less than half the cost of OEM. So far it seems fine. I also ordered CCOT's pewter paint kit as I just couldnt find a rattle can color that I was happy with. I did break from the sray-can mentality for the door accessories by using a Harbor Freight HVLP gun that I had picked up for a cabinet project a year before. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Edit: Gotta give a shout out to my man Splib for hooking me up with the door limiters...Thanks Man!

Here's a few pics of the repaired areas and a door fully reassembled.
P1010319A.jpg
P1010375A.jpg
P1010374A.jpg

Last edited:
Finally a couple of them back on the rig. They need a little adjustment for proper fit but I am happy. I think the rig looks cool with full doors and no top.
The truck looks amazing! I agree, leaving the doors on without the top looks better than doorless or tube doors IMO, like it's ready to tackle anything.
You did a great job on your cruiser.

Looking good, damn good!

(Shout received):beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom