Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Danny,

Here a before and after picture from the dash of the 44 out of this thread;

How and with what have you cleaned the letters up ?

DSCF0269.jpg

image.jpg

:cheers:

I used, primarily, @DomSmith 's METHOD - I say 'primarily' because my knobs were pretty clean already.

I didn't go to the trouble of removing the knobs - I just wiped them with a rag, with some cleaner, and painted them with a white Sharpie pen. Then I wiped the excess off, with another rag, with cleaner. I may have used Simply Green cleaner, I can't recall.

But, if you follow Dom's method, you will be more than pleased!!

I think the Sharpie may be easier to wipe off... but, I was wrong before.

Bon chance!!

Je bent nooit te oud om te leren.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info

I'm gonna have to do that. All these guys that live in Vegas and I haven't met anyone here yet. You a member of the local club here? I have been thinking about getting involved in it.

Naw... I quit joining when I retired from the Air Force in '88 - I like to spend my time, away from everything, with my best buddy(s) (Golden Retrievers, all: Sgt Gunner right now, I lost Mr Parker in July - but, we're picking up Sir Chester in Texas later this month - he's about 5 weeks old right now).

I've met Riley (@jetranger) and Allan (@allan man) - they allowed me to help them rebuild my knuckles around April of last year - both great guys!!

I was supposed to meet Blake (@Denverblake) a number of times, but I can't find him...

I read recently that you live on Nellis... I would love to stop by and meet you sometime, when it's convenient... maybe I could bring 44 to you?

EDIT: Of course, I would need to pull my sleeping platform and put the passenger seat back back in, so Dianna can shop on base...

Yea we should definitely meet up. My number is 370-1784, anytime you are around this neck of the winds feel free to give me a call. I am a helicopter FE so my schedule is always changing but anytime your in the general vicinity give me a shout. Ill give you a view of my rebuild and see if you have any tips or pointers for me.

Yea we should definitely meet up. My number is 370-1784, anytime you are around this neck of the winds feel free to give me a call. I am a helicopter FE so my schedule is always changing but anytime your in the general vicinity give me a shout. Ill give you a view of my rebuild and see if you have any tips or pointers for me.

Great!! I'll keep your number and do as you suggest.

Realize, they didn't have helicopters when I was in the Air Force :rolleyes: ... is an FE a 'flight engineer'?

That it is. I started out as a C-130 Hydraulic Mechanic and then became a Flight Engineer about 6 years ago. You were still in when we got the ones that we have now. Most of these were built in 85!

Oh! Now I recall what a helicopter is!! :doh:

I saw a post from Riley (@jetranger), a while back, asking to see your build... He flies helicopters and trains other pilots. Y'all could 'talk shop'!!

He's the one who could definitely give you pointers... if you haven't seen his build thread, you really should!!

I turned 66 yesterday and Gunner and I drove back out to the Desert National Wildlife Refuge (we like to go there when we don't have any other plans, because it's so convenient; only 20 miles, or so, from home).

Gunner wanted to try 44 out, with the power steering leak resolved and the brakes adjusted and bled. Brakes were great, as was the power steering!!

We arrived out there, with no real destination in mind. When we arrived at the mileage board, Gunner said, "Why don't we go spend some time at Peek-a-Boo Canyon and see if we can see some animals?

DNWR_Mileages.JPG

So, we drove east on Morman Well Road and stopped to snap a few pictures on my new camera (Birthday present). I haven't become familiar with it, but will eventually.

This is the first few miles of Morman Well - Gunner had to check the road

IMG_0008.JPG

There are a few sights along the way - mostly geological formations - but, for whatever reason, the sky has a lot of odd cloud formations lately- I read THIS last night - perhaps, Project Aurora, perhaps Red Flag exercises, perhaps UFO Activity, perhaps something even more sinister at Area 51... perhaps, natually occurring. Regardless, I love the way the sky looks in a lot of the pictures I've taken lately:

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

At mile 15, just a couple of miles before Peek-a-Boo Canyon, we came upon the Pine Nut Road turnoff and before I knew what was happening, Gunner turned up Pine Nut Road!! With all the Yucca and Joshua Tree, I wondered why it was called Pine Nut Road...

IMG_0067.JPG

Continued...

Continued from above...

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

I, of course, being ever vigilant and always prepared, never bothered to look at the map, so I didn't realize that Pine Nut Road was about 8 miles long. Since it was 8 miles, the climb was VERY subtle... I didn't realize we were climbing so much until I realized the air was SO much cooler. When we arrived at the end of the road, I finally pulled my map out and was surprised to learn that we were at 7000'!! What a nice surprise to find a fairly close to home, 7000' place that Gunner and I can camp out through the heat of summer!! It was nothing special, but 7000' and there were a few scraggly pines and a bit of snow on this peak!!

IMG_0087.JPG

Continued...

Continued from above

IMG_0102.JPG

I noticed, coming up Pine Nut Road, that 44 was idling much slower than normal... I can normally idle up a really rough road, in 1st gear, at 650 RPM... 44 was idling at 450 RPM... I don't know why the idle dropped. I reset the idle to 650 and proceeded to flood the carb, while restarting 44 at 7000'. I let it sit for a bit and it started right up. Good to know when you are about 22 miles from anywhere and anyone...

Question: Does elevation normally effect idle?
Once we returned to 5000', I had to set the idle back down from 850 to 650.

Gunner decided he wanted me to drive for a while, so he climbed in and got comfortable - @GA Architect and @FJ4043 - notice I removed everything else, but left the plastic lantern hanging especially for the both of you - I know how it drives you both nuts!!

IMG_0061.JPG

Pine Nut Road
was even rougher than Morman Well Road, it took an hour each way. When we came back to Morman Well, we continued on to Peek-a-Boo Canyon - we didn't see any animals, but we had a nice lunch ... and a chew.

IMG_0159.JPG

There were a lot of potential dens in this one rock face

IMG_0166.JPG

continued...

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

We started for home, cuz I had a dinner date - I love to see the snow-capped Spring Mountains, through to various gaps in the closer Sheep and Las Vegas Mountains

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

...and... another pretty sky!!

IMG_0172.JPG

...and, one for the road..

IMG_0088.JPG

All-in-all... a great drive and a great day!!

That photo of Gunner above inside 44 is amazing!!!

Thanks Mike!

Gunner's amazing!!

I'm always surprised how young he looks, for a 9 year old!!

This little guy... Chester... will be a handful for Gunner, when we pick him up in a couple of weeks!! Th breeder woke him up rom a nap and gave him a bath and he was not very happy!!

image3 (1).JPG

Happy Birthday! looks like a great time

Keep thee pics coming:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom