MT cage bent by shippers. How to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the damage was NOT noted at the time of delivery before the driver left the carrier is off the hook. They will tell you to pound sand.

I sure think I'd notice if I dropped or hit this. Loading? Unloading?

Even if someone noticed it they would still have to report it. Unless it was dropped off at the main depot and picked up at another main depot it's hard to know how many times it was handled. Last place I worked before retiring I was responsible for receiving all deliveries for the owner of the property since it was occupied by someone else. Owner maintained the property which is why I was there. Almost every delivery items had to be removed from the trailer to get at what he was delivering. Some of which had just been picked up. Most driver's didn't bother to secure the load between stops. Possible something fell over causing the damage.

But what I am wondering is; was the cardboard trashed as well?

I disagree with alaska. It would be cheaper for them to pay for the work to fix your cage than to replace it.. We're short enough of cruiser parts vendors to drive another out of business out of spite. Talk with them and work out a solution that works for you both. Technically the responsibility lies with the trucking company but a lawsuit would be more costly than the cage. I've been through this many times. I don't know about MetalTech but the bigger companies like Man-a-Fre and Specter always stated all prices were F.O.B, freight out bound, which legally means once it leaves their facility the responsibility is yours. This is why they ask how you want it shipped. We always pick the most economical route. If you ask they will ship a two dollar item by royal coach for 100.00. Trucking large items has become so expensive anymore I'm sure they'll work a solution out that benefits you both.
LOL.....
Spend money on a cage and fix it before you even get a chance to install it.?

As a consumer I strongly dont think its fair....JMO

My last engine arrived over packed in a wooden crate. The driver made me completely uncrate and inspect everything before he would leave or allow me to sign for it. Great guy.

But what I am wondering is; was the cardboard trashed as well?
@myquestoyota here's what it looked like when I got home
image.jpg

My guess now is something stacked fell on it ... Or... When the forklift guy was fitting it in he bumped that rt corner that's bent... Alot of forklift guys are yahoos ... We had a guy bend a 90deg angle on one of the clamps of a forklift ... They drive Way too fast ... (saying was ... if you see a red spot ... It's not a danger zone ... thats where somebody didnt get out if the way) It would have been lifted from the front of the cage inside the pallet... The pallet doesn't look like it sustained any damage from forks however...

Could very well be a stacked thing that fell on it ...

Does the front rib of the pallet have any damage... It doesn't look like it... Correct?

The steel bands are very strong... The nylon would have snapped... Are they nylon or steel?

However forklift guys can switch pallet and also reband snapped bands... If they are dishonest... But... Most likely would have not cared enough since it was going out bound product not in...

Hope you don't mind my observations lol

So If I see it right its just the flat bar that mounts to the fender
That is too easy. But if the angled tube is bent thats a hole differnt story.

LOL.....
Spend money on a cage and fix it before you even get a chance to install it.?

As a consumer I strongly dont think its fair....JMO

I'm not saying what's fair or not but shipping companies do not, as a rule, show favoritism to the degree they lose money, to small shippers. All Land Cruiser parts builders are small shippers. This week in the US we lose Maxtrax, Kaymar, Longrange Fuel Tank, Lightforce and all the other products that Outback Proven imported from Australia. The hard facts of this business is that the US market is very soft for Land Cruiser product and if we want to have a a variety of product available to choose from it will be a team effort. The cage is perfectly repairable. The deflection of the bent plate is not enough to permanently distort SRA tubing. Cutting it loose, the tube will spring back and allow a new plate to be welded in place. Forcing Metal Tech to eat the entire cost of the cage and shipping is unnecessary. Work with them. This is not their fault. If the trucking company takes responsibility that would be great but probably time consuming

Yes ... We all agree that it should have been delivered without damage :) ... He should persue a financial compensation from the shipping company... BUT the realization is that he will probably NOT get compensated in any way :(

Sounds like the collective agree the damage does not look bad and is very reparable ... He should not be hellbent ... Loose sleep ... Have a coronary or anything like it... Nobody wants to be the angry pissed person who got damaged goods :)

$&@$ happens :)

If he can get compensated that will be great :) I pray that he does... We may be supprised :)

Since working in a wearhouse I am supprised ANYTHING :) gets to a customer without some sort of damage....

BTW I put lots if smilie faces because it was sounding like an angry old guy... Not angry at all... Just realistic :)

I understand :) but the fact is this is an issue between MT and the shipping agent, this guy is being put out for something that is outside of his control.
I shop with U.S. vendors because their service truly is second to none, MT chose the shipping agent, packaged it the way it was and ergo, should rectify the problem.
:) (smiley added for non-confrontational effect)

Since people are looking to place blame, I blame the OP for not inspecting and then rejecting the cage upon delivery. No offense to the OP, but that is how the process works. I have been guilty of doing the exact same thing, but a shipping company is rarely going to tell you "oh by the way, we damaged your product, do you still want it?" Most will drop and run. Who knows maybe MT has insurance for situations just like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom