Future trip. Looking for local input. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey MT guys! I’m slowly planning my fall trip to head out to big sky country.

I will be out the week of September 11th. Plan is to arrive in Kalispel the 10th and pick up the lady from the airport, stay the night there and adventure on. Planning 5 nights in Montana. Ideally 2 inside glacier park, then the next 3 working our way back east across the state and then zoom back Home to southern Missouri over a couple days.

We will be in the 200, more than likely towing my m416 trailer, unless I can convince her into not bringing the kitchen sink.

We aren’t wanting to run any wild trails, forest roads are fine, dirt road is fine.

I just want to slow down and enjoy as much of it as I can.

Any suggestions?

Rough route I have mapped so far, glacier to fort peck area via the Missouri is what I’m thinking as far as direction on the way home.

043BC395-6595-4061-9182-7906D1135516.jpeg

That portion between F and G isn't my favorite. I'm guessing that F is Great Falls? If so, personally, I'd go south from there. Explore northern Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway as you head east. You can connect to Interstate 90 at Laurel.

That portion between F and G isn't my favorite. I'm guessing that F is Great Falls? If so, personally, I'd go south from there. Explore northern Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway as you head east. You can connect to Interstate 90 at Laurel.

Ill do some research!

your starting in glacier? then getting close to Yellowstone but missing it on this route?

agree with @pigmony F-G is gonna be pretty boring. F to the end really SD is a whole lotta nothing

D-C defiantly needs to so farther east and cut through Yellowstone, big sky and I hear that Bozeman is pretty popular these daze. look at the Cooke city area. goose lake, sheep shank, or sheep's head peak I forget exactly what its called. its right in that area. We got a Stock LX470 with a hitch carrier up there with some rock stacking. even just driving though Yellowstone and Gardiner

your starting in glacier? then getting close to Yellowstone but missing it on this route?

agree with @pigmony F-G is gonna be pretty boring. F to the end really SD is a whole lotta nothing

D-C defiantly needs to so farther east and cut through Yellowstone, big sky and I hear that Bozeman is pretty popular these daze. look at the Cooke city area. goose lake, sheep shank, or sheep's head peak I forget exactly what its called. its right in that area. We got a Stock LX470 with a hitch carrier up there with some rock stacking. even just driving though Yellowstone and Gardiner

Correct glacier is “day 1”

I will be solo until I get to kalispel (driving blue dot to - d solo) I plan to run hard until I get to kalispel Sunday Pm. Then Slow down and take it easy.

We did Yellowstone last summer and enjoyed it, I’d go back in a hart beat but due to timeline I think I want to skip it on the way out to her. Also meeting up with a local friend at “b”

I looked up beartooth highway and that will definitely add to our list if we drop back south after glacier.

We plan to camp every night if at all possible.

^^^^100% Agree that although Eastern Montana has its own beauty, it's more interesting to the South, especially if you're camping on public lands.
From North Entrance of Yellowstone National Park at Mammoth Springs, Wy
Drive to Cooke City,
then to Cody, Wyoming over Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy.
then to Lovell, Wyoming,
over Hwy 14 to Dayton, Wyoming.
Dirt Road to Sheridan, Wyoming where you can pick up the Interstate and Buzz over to
Devils Tower National Park in Hulett, Wyoming,
Take Hwy East to Belle Fourche, SD,
South to Spearfish, SD where you pick up the Interstate again.
Side trip to Deadwood from Spearfish is cool too. And of course Mt Rushmore is right there.

Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy is pretty nice. The museum in Cody is pretty good too.

^^^^100% Agree that although Eastern Montana has its own beauty, it's more interesting to the South, especially if you're camping on public lands.
Drive to Cooke City,
then to Lovell, Wyoming,
Dirt Road to Sheridan, Wyoming where you can pick up the Interstate and Buzz over to
Side trip to Deadwood from Spearfish is cool too. And of course Mt Rushmore is right there.

Thank you! I had completely forgot about Cody Wyoming.
We also hit devils tower and Rushmore last summer.

I’ll look further into these!

Drive to Cooke City,
then to Lovell, Wyoming,

Looking at this today. Thank you foe the suggestions! I believe I’m going to change route to include this.

One question on beartooth, looks like on the map Chief Joseph Hwy jumps off beartooth about 1/3 of the way in.

Would it be worth it to drive the extra hour to Red Lodge and then back track back down beartooth to Chief Joseph?

Looking at this today. Thank you foe the suggestions! I believe I’m going to change route to include this.

One question on beartooth, looks like on the map Chief Joseph Hwy jumps off beartooth about 1/3 of the way in.

Would it be worth it to drive the extra hour to Red Lodge and then back track back down beartooth to Chief Joseph?
To me it definetly would be worth the time, might be a little more than an hour detour though. I haven't been to the park yet this year but from gardner to cooke is the best part of it. Your timing should just about nail it for the wildlife as the elk should be in rut and bugling and bears should be out and about. just don't try to pet a buffalo. If you see a green 40 with a matching 416 behind it wave, that's about when i'm thinking about spending some time in that area. tourist numbers should be down also

To me it definetly would be worth the time, might be a little more than an hour detour though. I haven't been to the park yet this year but from gardner to cooke is the best part of it. Your timing should just about nail it for the wildlife as the elk should be in rut and bugling and bears should be out and about. just don't try to pet a buffalo. If you see a green 40 with a matching 416 behind it wave, that's about when i'm thinking about spending some time in that area. tourist numbers should be down also
Yeah I’m smart enough to not pet a Buffalo LOL.

Same to you! If you see us flag us down. My 416 matches my 200 as well.

This setup minus I don’t plan on having the roof tent this year.

6D1D088F-68D9-424E-9BF0-1EB571002444.jpeg

Yeah I’m smart enough to not pet a Buffalo LOL.

Same to you! If you see us flag us down. My 416 matches my 200 as well.

This setup minus I don’t plan on having the roof tent this year.

View attachment 3361720
nice, hopefully you didn't have any close encounters while at the tower. i've got my rtt mounted on the lid of the trailer, i had to replace my suspension after ripping the original leaf system out of the trailer while on another excursion in the pintlar mtns lol. that was another story, went with the timbren system and so far has held up.

This is the only picture that I could find that kinda shows what to watch for. well that didn't work, anyway a green 40 with a green 416 behind it

@elkun1
I have a nice picture of your set up with little puppy Boone sitting in front of it. Everyone should be envious of this set up because I know I am. This was like three years ago
IMG_3285.jpeg

Drive to Cooke City,
then to Lovell, Wyoming,
This.

Sounds like an epic trip! Is “B” around pinedale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom