MOBILE ONE OIL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you use Charmin or that sandpaper stuff that's in the National Park Service pit toilets? ::)

Dan,

>> Do you use Charmin or that sandpaper stuff that's in the National Park Service pit toilets? <<

Once you soak TP with snake oil it's all the same.

-B-

Cary

I take your point on the synthetics - the 20,000 mile oil change is for vehicles using synthetics.

Personally I wouldn't go over 10,000 miles without an oil change in a petrol vehicle. My Dad is happy to leave his vehicle to do 28,000 miles without changing the oil since his Audi was new and came with a 3 year / 60,000 mile guarantee. As he intends to change the car after 3 years and any problems that may occur in the meantime are covered - why pay extra for more frequent oil changes?

My Nissan Patrol which is a diesel, has a recommended oil change interval of 9,000 miles and that's not using synthetic. I will probably change every 5,000 miles but only because it's a diesel and because I intend to keep it beyond its 3 year guarantee.

Cheers

hey wulfy mobil 1 isnt snake oil ::) course if you want some snake oil i do have some of the oil i squeezed out of previous rolls :D

Dan i use scott 1000 in the individual package

Instigator,

We may disagree about the benifits of the bypass filter (and by the way, I don't doubt the use of TP as filter media, I just find it humourous), but I definitely agree about extended intervals being good for the enviroment. I am not a tree hugger or anything (that is my step-sister's job) but do believe to the extent that we can easily do things to improve our world we should. If 50% of the people in this country went to synthetic oil and changed every 7500 miles instead of every 3000, there would be tens of millions fewer gallons of oil consumed, wasted and recycled. Remember, it takes energy and time to recycle oil, and it is not simply made into new motor oil.

At the same time, I wish we could get some decent diesel engines here. Look at the new mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen diesels that they get in Europe. The new Volkswagen V10 is quiet and puts out 313 hp, and 553 ft pounds of torque. Imagine an engine like that in the LC that gets 22-25 mpg on the highway.

Cary

P.S. If you think I get excited about oil, you should see me when the discussion turns to personal lubes!!! :D :D :D :D

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=4683;start=msg35966#msg35966 date=1062088992]
it takes energy and time to recycle oil, and it is not simply made into new motor oil.
[/quote]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the used collected oils simply are filtered then burned for industrial heaters/boilers and the like. Don't think they do a whole lot of recycling the oils anymore as I know `they' at one time did.

That bypass filter looks vulnerable, is it protected by a skidplate? I've heard that's a benefit to less accessible filters, less likely to get damaged. Or maybe that's something I made up while cursing our filter location.

Processor
Reprocessing is the most common method of recycling used oil in the U.S. Each year processors treat approximately 750 million gallons of used oil. Seventy-five percent of used oil is being reprocessed and marketed to:

* 43% asphalt plants; 14% industrial boilers (factories);
* 12% utility boilers (electric power plants for schools, homes, etc.);
* 12% steelmills;
* 5% cement/lime kilns;
* 5 % marine boilers (tankers or bunker fuel);
* 4% pulp and paper mills;
* >1% commercial boilers (generating heat for school, offices, etc.);
* 5% other.

Re-refining
Fourteen percent of used oil collected is turned over to re-refiners who return used oil to its original virgin oil state.

Re-refined base oil is the end product of a long process involving used oils. The oils are first cleaned of their contaminants -- such as dirt, water, fuel, and additives -- through vacuum distillation and then hydrotreated to remove any remaining chemicals. Finally, the re-refined base oil is combined with a fresh additive by the blender to make the finished lubricant.

Oil Filter Location- It sucks on the LC, could be worse. Best oil filter is on my wifes BMW, top of engine, canister style filter. One bolt, pull the filter, put a new one in, put the bolt back on. Two minutes, not a drop of oil spilled. The total time to change the oil and filter is about 12 minutes, and that includes getting everything out and putting it away.

Cary

Cary i do agree with you about getting some diesels sent our way. i would love to have an 80 with a diesel in it or even a 4bager diesel in my 4runner.

i too think its funny to have a roll of TP as a filter element, no real credible argument about that.

Scott the filter is shielded by the cross member (not in pic) and may get some road debris. i am working on relocating it onto the frame rail in a horizontal config.

3fj40 why give some company your used oil for them to make profit. the less oil they get from me the better. yes they do recycle, but its on my dime. and right now the only tree i care about saving is my money tree second are the trees in the wild (course the roll of TP has way more wood than the spin on ::))

Cary, Why would Tata in India reccomend an Engine Oil change interval of 4,500km, But in Australia it's 7,500km. - Maybe Australians are poor. :'(

Also, How could a Road Train that is driven 10 hours a day, 7 days a week on mostly dirt roads, Using Mineral Oil that is changed every 40,000km as with the Bypass Filter and not require a rebuild till atleast 1,000,000km. :-[ :p

I don't know why Toyota has a different oil change interval in India. I would expect it may have to do with the quality of available oil. Also, both the intervals you quote are different than the american interval which is 7500 miles. I thought the Austrailian interval was 10,000 or 12,500 KM.

Road Trains- You are now talking about an entirely different beast. First off, you are talking about semi-trucks. Semis regularly run to over 1,000,000 miles, much less 1,000,000 km. Also, you need to remember that an engine is essentially a sealed unit, so it doesn't matter if it is operated on dirt roads or pavement for the oil.

As I had previously explained, oil change intervals are affected by factors including use, capacity and engine output. First, trucks are run constantly, no cold starts to cause wear, contaminants are burned off and the oil stays at operating tempurature, this leads to longer life. Second, the engines in these trucks are not high stressed engines, they are very overbuilt. Third, oil capacity, we are not talking 4-8 quarts, we are talking 10+ gallons. This allows for a lot of additives relative to the engine size and output.

Finally, even in semi's you will see that the oil change interval goes from about 20,000-40,000 miles with mineral oil to up to 100,000 miles with synthetic. Also, most trucking fleets use regular oil analysis to monitor oil condition. This tells them 1) when to change, and 2) alerts to potential engine problems before they become catastrophic. Remember when you are running 100+ trucks it is cheaper to do a $10 oil analysis (hi volume costs) than change out $100 worth of oil early.

Cary

Did someone say diesel swap into an 80? ;)

I would go in on that one if someone wanted to group order some goodies.

One thing to keep in mind is that in this study there has been considerable oil replacement due to draining and analysing every 1000 miles. Check out bobistheoilguy for the discussion. The guy doing this is Threemadponchos on Bobistheoilguy.

I do agree that is provides support that there should be no trouble going out to 7500 miles on synthetic.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom