mig gas - CO2 vs CO2/Argon mix

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by Cube Dweller, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Anyone used both and have feedback from using both? When I was working in a shop we only ran straight CO2, and for home use I had a couple soda cylinders with plain CO2 as well.

I've read the Argon mix lays flatter beads with a better appearance and less splatter, though CO2 has better penetration.

Being a cheapskate, my inclination is to keep using straight CO2, but if I fab stuff to sell, might look more blingy with the mix.

Feedback from experience welders that have used both?
  2. I have used both and will definetely only use mix only now for the most part. CO2 does spatter more and I an not convinced there is any better penetration. What is the welder you are used?
  3. woody

woody the internet is just a fad... Staff Member

used a buddies with straight and my own with mix, both the same day....

welds off my machine were definitely cleaner, he decided to switch to mix on his next tank...
  4. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Welder is a Miller 175. In the shop we had a commercial 100% duty cycle, 3phase, 440 blah blah blah Miller mig from the 60's.
  5. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

x3 for me on mix gas. We'd been using mix in my weld lab and the school switched to straight CO2 for a "cost savings". Had to spend more time cleaning welds after that. You can even hear a difference, Co2 pops like bacon cooking, the mix sounds more even.
  6. mixed, like my 7 and 7...
  7. spressomon

spressomon glutton

Mixed on my MM175 works bueno!
  8. JRFJ4-

JRFJ4-

mix

JR
  9. riverliver

riverliver

Mix here too. Used co2, burns the crap out of ya when welding in upsidedown positions. Got the scars to prove it.(that statement makes me sound like kind of a 'tard)........

ONLY TRUE WISDOM, COMES FROM PAIN! ............. HELL YEA!
  10. Junk

Junk

11. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Mix is the ****e fo sho.[​IMG]

12. Doug_S

Doug_S

Mix is the only way to go...
  13. brian

brian SILVER Star

straight co2 for dual shield wire.
    75/25 for hard wire.
  14. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

? The point of the flux core is for the flux to shield the puddle from the atmosphere so you don't have to use gas. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by dual shield wire??
  15. brian

brian SILVER Star

you're thinking of inner shield wire, also called flux core. it requires no gas....like stick welding from a roll, instead of a rod.

we use outer/dual shield in both black and stainless varieties, but with straight co2. it's known as flux core too.
  16. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

ahhh, thanks for clarifying.
  17. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I like the C25 mix too. Used another mix called stargold....or something like that. Prefer the C25
  18. lowenbrau

lowenbrau SILVER Star

We got talked into trying Blueshield 23 ( CO2, AR, O2) a couple of years ago and got hooked on it. Any advantage is good for amateurs like me.

BLUESHIELD 23
    Allowable Impurities or Components:
    BLUESHIELD 23 is a blend of argon with controlled additions of carbon dioxide and oxygen.

Applications:
    -GMAW (MIG) welding of carbon steels in all transfer modes, short circuit, globular, spray and pulsed spray transfer.
    -Excellent for robotic applications
    -MCAW (metal core) welding of carbon steels.

Benefits:
    -Reduced burn-through on very thin gauge material when welding in the short circuit mode.
    -Smooth stable spray arc with low spatter and excellent bead appearance.

http://www6.us.airliquide.com/cgi-b...egfdfhndfjo.0&catOID=-8054&strProdCategory=CG