M416 Simple Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I picked up 3 M416's this past summer. I sold off two of them and kept the "worst" of the bunch for a simple camp trailer build.

IMG_5630.JPG

I scraped at the old paint and added tires and a 2" ball with a 10" extension to the tongue
IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6008.JPG

I added a couple of 5L water jugs and a tool box to the tongue and mounted the spare under the rear tub with a winch off my 100 series

IMG_6862.JPG

Finally, I added my Mombasa RTT to some Yakima bars that I had and some factory style mounts that used to be on my 80 series factory rack. They grab the bars on the side of the trailer perfectly.

IMG_7579.JPG

So I loaded it up and took it out on my first trip this weekend. About a 700 mile round trip to Central Arkansas. 99% road and a bit of rough trail.

I had the bed loaded for bear with all of my cooking equipment and dry bags full of chairs and clothes.

I ran into a dead-end once and had to back it out about 100 yards. I was thanking my lucky stars that I had that extra tongue length.

My last trailer was a CDN101 with pintle. I truly hated it off road. It was tippy and banged around like crazy behind me on that pintle. I felt it all the way through the truck.

The bulldog hitch eliminated all of that and it had more than enough articulation. Any more and this narrow trailer likely dumps over.

IMG_1138-L.jpg

IMG_1139-L.jpg

IMG_1145-L.jpg

I think I could have gotten all this stuff in the Cruiser and the tent on top like I used to, but this way I was able to keep one 3rd seat in and my 2 kids each had a row to spread out and all that was inside was food and the ARB fridge.

IMG_1156-L.jpg

IMG_1186-L.jpg

I just messed with it over the summer in my shop so I don't really know.

I paid a guy to extend my tongue and add the Bulldog hitch....he did it in a day.

I scraped paint for a few days.......painted for a couple days.

Spent a day repacking the bearings and general maintenance.

I paid a guy to rewire it and my blackout lights with LEDs. I love the housings so I wanted to keep them. The lenses are super thick so you can't see the lights in the day. At night they are fine.

IMG_8726-X3.jpg

can you post some pictures of your lights? I'm intrigued. are those the ones that came on the m416? I'm only familiar with the Canadian m101

image.jpg
I started my tailgate today.

I suck at welding so I used bolts.

I used Land Cruiser tailgate hinges

I'll add latches and a cable to hold it 90 degrees later.

image.jpg

I used a sawzall and it's mostly straight. I'm going to get some rubber body trim for the trailer edge to fill in the gap

image.jpg

Sand disc cleaned up the edges.

image.jpg

C channel on the sides give it support. I'm planning on putting cutting board material in the center of the tailgate

image.jpg

I really wanted to keep the outside of the trailer clean without a bunch if metal on it. I'm happy with the latch I just wish I was a more patient fabricator.

I want instant gratification so I'm a sloppy at times.

Fantastic work Nolen!

Did you use springs inside the top tube to keep tension on the latch in the closed position?

Parker from Tunica built his M416 with this same "bolt action" latch and it's how I want to build mine.
What size is the stock used for the "bolts". What size bolts are the handles? Do you have a tap?

Keep up the great work.

Mine has a bit of built in tension on the tailgate pushing out that keeps the bolts tight in the tube when closed.

If not a internal spring would be easy. Not necessary in mine.

I used 5/16 bolts and basically self tapped them into 1/4" holes with my 3/8" impact with locktite. I don't see them backing out. A tack weld would assure

Forgot size of tube. I had it already.

Other than a 2" receiver in the back for a bike rack I think this one is done.

I have not mounted anything permanent to the bed or used a raising lid like I did on my last one so it is still usable as a straight cargo trailer with about 5 minutes of work to take the RTT off.

It's been a fun project. Can't wait to use it more and see what all I need to do.

So this is a bummer about my trailer setup.

I love the fact that everything sits level loaded but I can't open the swingout

View attachment 1153919

So after all the crazy s*** I dreamed up to fix it I just realized a 6" hitch extension will be the fix.

I'll get it installed and let y'all know if it tows right.

More length the better on these things just hope there is no sway

Fast forward a week.

Got the extension in place. Tested and it is nice.

No noise or movement more than just a regular hitch.

Swingout works with trailer on. Mission accomplished.

Now I have to figure out how to get the safety chains moved up. That or weld some hoops on the extension. The latter is likely the best since I want to use trailer without extension on the 60.

Cool thing is that it backs better with the extension.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Love this simple build. I am totally going to steal this tailgate design. I love the latch, too. What did yo use for the hinges? They look like they came from a 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom