Ls gear oil in transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Might be a dumb question or a tired one at that but, the fluid specification for the AWD transfer case calls for 80w90. Can mobile one 75w-90 “Ls” be used in place of standard gear oil without causing engagement or dragging with the transfer case viscous clutch?

Thanks!

From the website:
"Mobil 1 Syn gear Lube LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended"

Personally, I use Amsoil products, but any old synthetic or analog gear oil will be fine. I use 75W90 for all 3.

Might be a dumb question or a tired one at that but, the fluid specification for the AWD transfer case calls for 80w90. Can mobile one 75w-90 “Ls” be used in place of standard gear oil without causing engagement or dragging with the transfer case viscous clutch?

Thanks!
Long answer is in post 2 above.
Short answer: your center differential will love ❤️ you.
Mechanical things have feelings too.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make sure the friction modifier in the fluid wouldn’t cause an issue.

The viscous coupler is a sealed unit and the gear oil in the transfer case doesn't interfere with the insides of the viscous coupler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom