Builds Locked79's Build Thread. Vdj79 + Fzj105 = ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(VDJ79+105)/2= VDJ92 :D I like your taste for cruiser and will be looking forward on your build :cheers:

79 -
I have no doubt! Looking at your town via Wikipedia/web, the rigs, the shop, etc. that looks like a bit of heaven and 84 degrees F yesterday! Some of us may need to come visit :)
Ward, Always welcome mate. Its a very landcruiser heavy town

isn't that turbo VNT .. electronically controlled by the ECU ..? putting a gated one would keep the ECU happy .?
Tapage, yes it is vnt. There are a few gated ones running around already so they must have figured something out to keep the ecu happy. I'm not sure on the specifics, but if I go that route I'll have to do some more research on the subject.

Love the thread so far mate glad you started one.
Sweet

New L/H engine mount in position. 5mm plate
Laundcruiser Coil Swap 069.JPG

The R/H engine stay had to be remade because it fouled the steering shaft. 10mm plate should suffice.

Laundcruiser Coil Swap 071.JPG

I'm starting to get the hang of this welding buisness. Not the prettiest but should hold nicely.
20151028_123755.jpg

Drive shafts are in. The whole engine/gearbox assembly is pushed 25mm to the right. The driveline offset is about 1 degree more than standard which should be OK. The engine also sits about 30mm higher than it was, due to the narrower chassis.
20151028_142646.jpg

Mockup for body placement. The original chassis mounts aren't even close, so they're coming off tomorrow.
20151028_145843.jpg

Ok guys, ive got a question.

Since I had to move the engine/tranny over 25mm to fit in the chassis, now the gear stick positioning is too close to my knee when shifting into 5th gear. It actually touches when shifting.

What do you think the best remedy would be.
1. Offset the cab to suit. This will also solve the intercooler/hood misalignment. Or
2. Just bend the gear stick to a comfortable location.

Hmmm. What to do
20151030_121221.jpg

Depends on if offsetting the body still keeps it lined up on the frame.
If it still lines up I would do it kill two birds with one stone

The only thing then will be the body will be offset to the diffs.
I would be bending the gear lever as it may look like the truck is crabbing when your driving down the road if it's sitting a inch to one side.

I'm guessing that gear lever is a rubber insulated one like the one on my fj75, be careful how you bend it I broke the end off one of mine trying to manipulate it a bit :doh:

New cab mounts. All out of 5mm plate.
20151105_154945.jpg

Cab in position. All square so I'll have to deal with the gear stick positioning later.
20151105_160034.jpg
20151105_160116.jpg

Guards on for test fit. Everythings looking good. I ended up with around 35mm of body lift to suit the engine positioning.
20151106_153636.jpg

Radiator's a tight squeeze though.
20151106_153645.jpg

Looking good mate.
I wish I had a shed where I could do aweasome builds like this.
Keep the progress happening

Looking good mate.
I wish I had a shed where I could do aweasome builds like this.
Keep the progress happening
Cheers Chappo. Lookin to get the shed fully set up in a couple of years or so. Lathe, milling machine, tig, plasma, spray booth, sand blaster, dyno. Oh Well..... at least i can dream. Haha

Very nice locked your not stuffing around with this mate full steam ahead. :)
Thanks Oz. Got some free time atm so im trying to make the most of it. This has been planned for about 1.5 years and I'm only just getting round to it. Hopefully it should be on the road by March next year.

Have a good one.

Ok. So I've got the power steering box mounted. I decided to go with the 79 series box and mount it further down the chassis for 2 reasons, first, it will allow me to use the original steering shaft and lines using a 25mm spacer and second, the 79 series box only has 50k kms vs 400k on the 105 series box. The steering assembly is mixed and matched parts from both vehicles to make it work.

You can see where the box originally mounted about 12" up the chassis.

20151113_114640.jpg

Steering shaft with a 25mm spacer fitted. It actually gives closer to 45mm of length. This one came from Snake Racing and is actually for a Nissan Patrol.

20151118_133110.jpg

This is the spacer just for reference. Spline OD is 17.3mm and has a spline count of 36.

20151118_130726.jpg

I also got the bullbar mocked up on the vehicle. This is a 79 series v8 ARB bullbar and is not a direct fit to the chassis. There's about a 55mm difference in rail widths and I was originally going to cut the mounts out of the bar and fabricate new ones but I decided to make adaptors instead. This will make changing the bullbar out down the track a lot easier.

Bullbar mock up

20151118_124417.jpg

20151118_124432.jpg

These are the adaptors in going to use. Not quite finished yet but you get the idea.

20151118_190641.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom