Let's see your 80 on skinnies! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info. That makes things harder now ;)

I love the look of the skinnies... I will mount the 255 I just bought and see what I think of it in person. If I don't like it... I guess I will try the 285 Duratracs.

I know cost is always a concern, but bar non the best tire in the 255 is the Toyo M-55. Most forest service trucks in north west run them and a ton of mining trucks in northern Nevada. I have run several on tow rigs and off road rigs without ever having a single issue.

The Load-E Duratracs have a 3-ply sidewall. The 285/75-16 and 235/85-16 are both Load-E. Actually, most of the Duratracs are E-load rated.

I just called my local Goodyear owned tire shop. He said that the duratrac load range E is a still a 2 ply sidewall. :bang:

I need to verify with a couple other shops I guess.

Last edited:
What are you worried about? You will not have any problems with the load range E Duratrac sidewalls, especially in Ohio. I have wheeled the heck out of multiple sets of Duratracs here in Colorado with no issues. I felt the KM2's I had had a lighter/flimsier sidewall, this was especially noticed when I mounted them with the tire machine. The 285 E Duratrac is an excellent tire, you should not worry if that is what you have decided to go with.

Anyone have any info on this rig posted below? I really like the overall stance and tire size/rim. Looks like the tire is an interco SSR, I'm assuming that's a 16" steelie and not a 17" fjc?

Some more I found:

attachment.php

Last edited:
I just ordered ONE Cooper ST 255/85/16. I plan on bolting that up to see how I like the look on my truck. Plan on using it for a spare at least... should tuck up just a little closer than a 285.
I really do love the look of the ST.

Can anyone comment on the wet handling of the ST?
I have always had BFG AT KO's.

I have had them on my 80 for a year and half now. Living in Washington I drive a lot in the rain. One night I drove two hours to Portland a serious rain storm and never once worried these tires are great. I drove up to mount rainer in the snow and ice and once again never worried. The only down side I see is there kinda loud and ride pretty rough but hey they are serious at tire.

Great info and pictures.

I read through the entire thread. I am impressed and sold on skinnies. I have always like the skinnies, but now I know how beneficial they are to what I want to do. That Expo west link was great.
Thank you,

I have had them on my 80 for a year and half now. Living in Washington I drive a lot in the rain. One night I drove two hours to Portland a serious rain storm and never once worried these tires are great. I drove up to mount rainer in the snow and ice and once again never worried. The only down side I see is there kinda loud and ride pretty rough but hey they are serious at tire.

I really really wanted to like the skinny look in person on my own truck. I mounted up the one 255/85/16 Cooper ST that I bought last night.
I think that skinny tire is the way to go without flares. But I have the flares on now, and I like the look of the flares. I didn't care too much for the look of the skinny on my truck with flares.

So I guess I will go with 285's. Now to research Cooper ST Maxx or everyone's favorite the Duratrac.

The only down side I see is there kinda loud and ride pretty rough but hey they are serious at tire.

Can you describe the noise? I borrowed a buddy's M-55's in 255/85 and they whined like a semi trailer or school bus. Think air-raid siren :mad: Are your Coopers more of a lower pitched whooshing noise like some MTs? I can't stand the M-55 noise.

I really really wanted to like the skinny look in person on my own truck. I mounted up the one 255/85/16 Cooper ST that I bought last night.
I think that skinny tire is the way to go without flares. But I have the flares on now, and I like the look of the flares. I didn't care too much for the look of the skinny on my truck with flares.

So I guess I will go with 285's. Now to research Cooper ST Maxx or everyone's favorite the Duratrac.

I agree with you. I like the flares and still have mine on with my tires. The tires look to tucked so I have plans to buy some wheel spacers to move them out more.

Can you describe the noise? I borrowed a buddy's M-55's in 255/85 and they whined like a semi trailer or school bus. Think air-raid siren :mad: Are your Coopers more of a lower pitched whooshing noise like some MTs? I can't stand the M-55 noise.

Not a semi trailer sound mine just have a low whooshing kind sound. I had a set Goodyear Mtrs before this and they were at the end of there life's and on the highway my wife and I have to scream to talk to each other. With sts I can hear them much at highway speeds but at 40 miles or so I really have a rumble.

Here is my 95 with stock suspension and 265/75s. Kinda in between as they are not as skinny as some but skinnier than the stock michelins that came off.

Tires 003.jpg

Tires 001.jpg

Not to hijack but this relevant to the post. What pressure you guys running on the road in your tires? I think I'm at 35ish and mine a rated to 50

I was wondering would a 35x10.5r16 work on a 94 fzj80 with a 2" lift? It should be skinny enough to clear while steering? I don't know I am not to familiar with tire sizes.
This is a great thread!
Thank you!

I run about 45 psi around town in my 255/85 KM2s. I bump that up to 50 when loaded down for a long trip. Air down for the trail, but maybe run 40 on the back roads. But that's just the usual stuff. The 255/85 KM2 is really an adjustable tool. Change the air pressure and it becomes almost a different tire, which is one reason I particularly like 'em.

I agree with above. I run them at 45lbs regularly. When I recently had em rotated, Discount Tire automatically put them at 45lbs each, before asking me if that was OK. I run them at about 15-18 on the trails.

I know cost is always a concern, but bar non the best tire in the 255 is the Toyo M-55. Most forest service trucks in north west run them and a ton of mining trucks in northern Nevada. I have run several on tow rigs and off road rigs without ever having a single issue.

I have these and they are awesome so far. Definitely not cheap though.

255/85/16 Cooper ST

Pic taken today. 255/85/16 Cooper ST with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Recently took off the OME 2.5" lift I was running and am now stock except for 1" MAF spacers while I plan my next move...

winnie.jpg

winnie2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom