LED tent lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to hang some sort of LED lighting in my 10x14 Kodiak tent. The issue is, it would be suspended using 550 para cord and hanging a lantern across a 14' string is not going to be good.
So, just a few minutes ago, a light went off in my head(no pun intended). How about mini lanterns??!!! Can anyone show me one that will be light enough to prevent the 550 to droop down and a light that will be bright? There are mini's that I've seen in my recent search, mainly rayovac and Coleman, but may be missing something.

I have both of the small ones by Black Diamond, and they both put out a lot of light and are pretty darn light. I don't see why you would have any problem with them being suspended across a 14' gap.

I got some from Cabelas. They really light up the areas nicely and easy on batteries. We use them in the tents, on the boats and like a flashlight if needed. Lightweight, small and strap just about to anything. Loops, poles or whatever you have handy to strap it to. The strap is a loop that attaches with velcro. Similar material to that used in headlamps.

I think I got them on sale and at the time more than one to a package. Not sure now. These are like the ones I got.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...rd1229699&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd1229699;cat104332680

Last edited:
I made some lighting from strings of LEDs. Added a couple of those small spring clamps to hang it with and it goes just about anywhere.

I also have one of those Coleman combination fan/LED lamps that I modified to run off of my 12 volt camp power cord system instead of batrteries. That works good if you have a center loop to hang it from, plus is nice to have when it's hot.
LEDon5.jpg

I made some lighting from strings of LEDs. Added a couple of those small spring clamps to hang it with and it goes just about anywhere.

I also have one of those Coleman combination fan/LED lamps that I modified to run off of my 12 volt camp power cord system instead of batrteries. That works good if you have a center loop to hang it from, plus is nice to have when it's hot.

That's interesting.

The LED strings I got off ebay. They're made for undercarriage lighting for lowriders, etc, so are good enuf for camping. I just wired 'em with plugs and sockets. Plenty bright enuf to read by. They were reasonably cheap, too, IIRC.

The Coleman fan/light is available everywhere. I don't recall exactly what I did, maybe build in a Radio Shack power convertor or something? Nothing too fancy circuitwise on it.

X2 on the Black Diamond lights .....dimmable, compact...lots of light for its size.

coleman makes a set of string lights with a battery pack (3 AA batteries) that you can pick up anywhere. you might be surprised how much light string lights put out. maybe not enough to read by, but certainly enough to do anything else. easily strung anywhere in the tent, light weight and easy to pack. here is a link to the Target website: COLEMAN STRING LIGHTS

coleman makes a set of string lights with a battery pack (3 AA batteries) that you can pick up anywhere. you might be surprised how much light string lights put out. maybe not enough to read by, but certainly enough to do anything else. easily strung anywhere in the tent, light weight and easy to pack. here is a link to the Target website: COLEMAN STRING LIGHTS

Those are pretty cool. I may give those a try. Thanks everyone.

X2 on the Black Diamond lights .....dimmable, compact...lots of light for its size.

X3, I have 2 of them and they work great. More then enough light for the tent, I have the Titan (hangs in the center of the tent) and the Orbit on a night stand incase I need to get up in the middle of the night

Kodiak canvas tent.

Black Diamond LED Lantern

We have used the Black Diamond backpacking style lanterns and they are extremely small with enormous amounts of light. 2 of those in the tent will show pinholes in the canvas for years to come. The benefit is also low draw on amperage (none) and they can be dimmed. There are a few different lumens available at any backpacking/outdoors store.

Comet.

Own a 10x10 Springbar. Hooked two of the $3.50 led lights from Harbor Freight one on each side of the tent - plenty of light.

I bought the Coleman Lantern lights mentioned above at Wal-MArt for $21.95 for our recent trip to Moab. We used them in the tent (6Wx8Lx5H) and you could easily read by them. The wife did so every night for four nights for a couple of hours each night. ( I was out looking at the stars while she was doing that.)

The batteries are still going strong. I used clothes pins to clip them around the top part of the tent leaving the battery pack hanging down right about the wife so she could tun it off. Money well spent and it's one more Coleman product I own... Sorry no pics of the tent lit up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom