LC100 4.7 v8 Servicing / Oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Planning to take my 2004 LC100 4.7 v8 (UZJ100W, JDM spec) for a service tomorrow.

History: First owner had car serviced at main dealers in Japan from new until 91,000km. Looks like they followed correct servicing schedules but I can't read the details. Second owner imported the car to Kenya at 98,000km and I don't have record of what kind of servicing he did. I bought it at 114,000km. Since then it's been mostly fine, at 116,000km I replaced the fuel and air filters. It's now at 121,000km.

I am planning to have my independent mechanic do the following:

1. Clean throttle body (this was noted during a Toyota main dealer inspection/diagnostic)
2. Clean MAF sensor (as above)
3. Check brakes.
4. Check suspension.
5. Check air filter.
6. Drain & change engine oil, oil filter.
7. Check spark plugs and maybe/probably change.

I know the timing belt is overdue at 100,000km and that is on my to-do list but not at this service right now due to difficulty finding the kit.

I considered changing the ATF fluid (A750F transmission, ATF-WS fluid I believe) but not convinced I really need to at this mileage, added to that I am not confident anyone here except main dealer (who charges $$$$ for anything) would do it right and I fear introducing problems. It's possible it got done in Japan at the advised 80,000km, but can't be sure. Similar story with changing LSD oil. Thoughts?

Regarding engine oil, my choices here are limited and were between Shell Ultra fully-synthetic 5W40, Shell HX5 regular 15W40, Shell "Super" regular. I got a comparatively good deal on the Shell Ultra 5W-40 so was planning to use that. Any reason why that would be a bad choice?

Does this all sound reasonable? Anything else I should do? Am I missing something important? I want to keep the car serviced well but have a limited budget.

Thanks in advance...

Toyota specs 5w-30 for the USA.
Does your manual specifically state 5w-40?

My paper manual is in Japanese. I think there's some sticker under hood that may say 5W30. I was under the impression that 5W40 would be compatible, just with an increased upper temperature range (40 vs 30). Which would be better given that it can get fairly hot here. Is that not correct? Don't see much 5W30 here anyway.

It's get's hot here in TX and I stick with the Toyota recommendation for 5w-30 weight oil.
Some people say they only specified the 5w-30 for fuel stds appeasing the US Govt. I believe the 30 weight is best suited for bearings and other tolerances where a 40 weight could be too heavy and not flow as well. I tried to find out what they spec'd in other countries at one time wondering if the spec a 40w oil in OZ for the high heat... I don't remember getting a clear answer.

Hmm.. Now you've got me worried, just bought 2 x 5L of the stuff ready for the service. I don't have much choice here. I could probably find a 5W30 if I looked hard but it would be a much inferior brand, I figured the 40 wouldnt be that far off and better to have a better quality oil, but maybe I was wrong. From searches on the net I saw people using many different types and I believe the manual said 10W40 could be used as an alternative so figured 5W40 would be OK.

I've used M1 0W-40 in my 2000 LC - no problems. Of course, I only used it once!

If 10W40 could be used, absolutely no problem w/ 5W-40, just better cold flow properties.

I know the timing belt is overdue at 100,000km and that is on my to-do list but not at this service right now due to difficulty finding the kit.

Isn't the timing belt scheduled for every 90000 Miles? If you are talking kilometers, yours should be replaced at 145000 km.

That is confusing. :hmm:
Looking at timing belt failures in general I would postpone the timing belt change and do it around 150k, especially if money is tight. I can't imagine your JDM spec has a different quality belt. And it is not like it is a high revving engine. I wouldn't have it dictated based on a sticker under the hood.

Same goes for the oil. The sticker says 5W30, but 5W40 won't ruin the engine. These engines are built to perform in variety of factors like outside temperatures and climates.
As long as you stick to a decent brand (like Shell) you're good. And even that is debatable. I own a lot of Yamaha stuff and use the recommended Yamalube oil. But I know for a fact that it comes out of a big 'universal' storage unit and is then labeled Yamalube. It is the same oil as many other brands, It's just marketing.
There are lot more oil brands then oil suppliers.

only thing I will add is I use 5w30 even in our hot climates....

i would NOT do a tranny flush as most dealership will want to do...they like to do it with system under pressure. I would buy some extra tranny fluid...disconnect hose from tranny cooler and let it run with oil fluid going into your catch reservoir while you also pour clean fluid in top. that way normal operation of vehicle is flushing fluid until it is clean not pressure or anything else.

I personally feel but cannot prove....that the pressure fluid changes forces very small particles into the tiny fluid passages in the transmission and clogs them...eventually leading to transmission failure. That is why i would ONLY replace the fluid as I mentioned if you want to replace it....as far as truck is concerned it is normal operation and no or very little risk incurred.

Just to report... I did all the things mentioned, no ATF flush, and used the 5W40 oil. The spark plugs weren't too bad but some were showing some wear and evidence of sparking through the insulator and not via the electrode tip so replaced them all. The cruiser is running really nice now, and have noticed some MPG improvement too. Thanks for all the advice.

only thing I will add is I use 5w30 even in our hot climates....

i would NOT do a tranny flush as most dealership will want to do...they like to do it with system under pressure. I would buy some extra tranny fluid...disconnect hose from tranny cooler and let it run with oil fluid going into your catch reservoir while you also pour clean fluid in top. that way normal operation of vehicle is flushing fluid until it is clean not pressure or anything else.

I personally feel but cannot prove....that the pressure fluid changes forces very small particles into the tiny fluid passages in the transmission and clogs them...eventually leading to transmission failure. That is why i would ONLY replace the fluid as I mentioned if you want to replace it....as far as truck is concerned it is normal operation and no or very little risk incurred.

FYI the dealer has to heat the WS fluid to do a drain and fill and get the level correct. Your do it yourself recommendation could leave him with a transmission short on WS fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom