LandCruiser 80 sudden RPM spike (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any input!

Puzzled by behavior of my 1994 Land Cruiser.

Occasionally, while driving steadily, or slowly accelerating the RPMs are really spiking up as if transmission was flipping to neutral. Needle may reach up as high as to the red zone.

Release the gas and push it back and the gear engages and truck keeps going. Don't release the gas - RPM will fluctuate for 1-3 seconds and then goes back into gear.

This did happen last February, though not as often, when I acquired a truck, then stopped and NEVER happened during summer time (temp/humidity related?)

Doesn't happen all the time. May drive whole day without it. Never in the first 15-20 minutes of driving.

Changed the fluid (old was sparkling clean) and added a bit of a Lucas AntiSlip - no difference whatsoever.

My observation is that it can happen in any gear, not just one in particular.

Below please find a video, demonstrating the issue. It's not too obvious, didn't risk driving too fast with the camera, but you can see it on second 8, then 1:10 and 1:18.

Again, thank you for your time, truly appreciate any ideas.

Best regards

My '93 has done this once or twice. I'll be curious to see what you find out.

I know if the rpm's spike as the transmission is up-shifting it is known as "flaring" and can be corrected by adjusting the detent or kickdown cable.

Thank you. :)

I'll keep you posted on any development outside of this forum.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Unfortunately, playing with "kickdown" cable didn't make much of a difference. Tried tightening and loosening it and every position in between. Affects firmness of shifts, but not shifting points, or flaring.

Also tried to adjust and move around the TPS, no visible effect either, so moved it back to original position.

Would love to hear an opinion on possibility of solenoids going bad. And if so, which ones are likely to die? One and Two or all four?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom