Kodiak Canvas Tents? opinions??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a 4 season tent that isn't too big, but will hold 4 people plus gear comfortably. Found this tent manufacturing company but can't seem to find much feedback about them online:

http://kodiakcanvas.com/

Thinking about the 10X10 Basic Model 6055. After a recent mountaintop camp out (lots of rain and high winds), I'm trying to find a tent that is:
- easy to set up
- waterproof
- withstand high wind gusts
- made from durable materials (vs. thin poly like most tents)
- able to fit in the FJ40 (can't be too bulky)

Has anyone ever seen or used Kodiak tents? They look well thought out. How do they really compare to Springbar?

Thanks!

I bought one off the 'net. While I've never had (or seen) a Springbar, I can honestly say that I really like the Kodiak. Mine sets up in less than 5 minutes, and seems to be made of high quality materials. I love the fact that I can stand up in it. Armed with my Kodiak, a cot, and good sleeping bag, I think it's pretty awesome. To make it a true 4-season tent, I think I'd cut out an area of the floor suitable for a woodstove and have a stove jack installed.

All in all, I'd have to give it a 10 for quality of materials and a 10 for price. :cheers:

Thanks Bigndn! Here is a link to Springbar:

http://www.springbar.com/

It looks like Kodiak is a higher quality material tent that basically copies the Springbar design but sold at much cheaper price (almost $200 cheaper for the 10x10 tent).

Good idea on the wood burning stove, but if you read Kodiak's website they highly discourage an open flame heat source inside the tent. For use during winter, I've come across a couple of tent heaters which appear to be safer:
1) a ceramic heating element using auto battery power
2) uses a propane bottle, two tubes, and a small fan motor that connects to auto battery power
The latter heater type sits outside the tent. I just want something to take the chill out of the air...not necessarily heat it up. Throwing an extra canvas tarp over the top would also help insulate it further.

So, anyone interested in a group buy on Kodiak Canvas Tents?

If enough are interested, I'll reach out to Kodiak and see how much of a discount I can negotiate. In trading emails with them, I think they have 50 in stock right now...

Last edited:
I would recommend a Springbar, all the way. I used to work for the company, and the attention to detail, and simply the fabric is FAR beyond the Kodiak. We had a guy buy one and bring it in and show us...just not the quality. Two things you shouldn't ever skimp on: Tent and Sleeping Bag.

Here is mine:

springbar.jpg

It has an awning that comes out off of the front, but it is rolled up in the pic.

I just used it last weekend in Moab. Cost is ~400 for this model, it is a 4 man, though they sell it as a 3 man...

Thanks Moody for the feedback. Hear you regarding the higher quality for Springbar, but when you've been using basic Target Greatland and Coleman tents, almost anything else is a huge step up in quality!

Regarding Springbar vs. Kodiak I guess I'd have to see them side-by-side to understand the difference? Of course Kodiak highlights the upgrades they have vs. Springbar (i.e., zippered vents, addt'l door, thicker floor), so maybe it's a wash overall...

Since no one posted interest in a group buy, I went ahead and submitted a "Make Offer" for a Kodiak Model 6055 listed on e-Bay listed at $399. Not thinking they take me up on my offer of $300, but they did! Maybe I should have offered $250?!?! Here's the pic:

modle6055lg.jpg

What I find interesting is that Springbar HQ, Kodiak Canvas HQ, and the Kodiak distributor (Competitive Edge Products) are all located in Salt Lake City??? So what happened? Did a former Springbar employee modify the design and cut out some of the mark-up?

Anyway, my rationale is that at a little more than 1/2 price for the same size SpringBar tent (the 10x10 SpringBar Traveler 5 @ $569), I can go through almost 2 Kodiak's for the price of 1 SpringBar.

I'll follow-up here with some pics after I get the tent as well as after the first camp out.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that Springbar HQ, Kodiak Canvas HQ, and the Kodiak distributor (Competitive Edge Products) are all located in Salt Lake City??? So what happened? Did a former Springbar employee modify the design and cut out some of the mark-up?

I'll follow-up here with some pics after I get the tent as well as after the first camp out.
I think it is someone that said, wow, I could change that Springbar 10% to avoid patent violations, have it made in China, and still make money. The design is killer. They added things that make it different, but in my opinion, you didn't need to begin with, like the vents.

I think you will be happy with it. The fabric is where they cut the corners most in my opinion. Springbars use a sunforger canvas that is dipped twice in the uv/waterproof stuff, and makes the fabric amazingly sun damage resistant and waterproof.

I would recommend you give your Kodiak a good coat of a product called Camp Kote which is specifically for canvas tents. It made a huge difference after 25 years with the family's 6 man springbar.

My parents were given a 6 man family camper Springbar for a wedding present 33 years ago. About a year ago, I gave it to a scout troop. As far as I know, they are still using it. I just got one that was a bit smaller for my 4 person family. I grew up camping in that Springbar, so I am biased towards them.

I bought a Springbar (Family camper seven) this summer and the first trip out was camping on a beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island where it rained sideways for the first two days.
I was with a group of about 25 people and we were the only ones to remain dry for the whole trip.
Everyone else hat to fight with tarps and such while my wife kids and i hung out reading and doing crafts in our tent.
I have camped for many years and this is the first time i can honestly say that we have remained dry for the whole trip.
Springbar all the way for me...Highly recommend:cool:

Kodiak Canvas Tents Rule!

Hey Folks,

I grew up with Springbar tents and am one of their biggest fans. I still have one today. I have recently purchased a Kodiak Canvas tent, and can say put side to side, the new guy it beats Springbar hands down.

I did a ton of reasearch and comparison on these two tents.

Kodiak Canavs has basically taken the Springbar design and improved on it. They have D-Shaped doors (easier to get in and out), double doors, vents, gear loft, an awsome storage bag (makes folding it up as easy as setting it up), and more storage options. You also get real metal stakes with KC (Springbar gives you the cheap plastic stakes).

As far as materials go the zippers are the same YKK (this is the best tent zipper available). The canvas is essentailly the same.

The KC foor is twice the thickness as the SB. It is also welded and sealed (SB is stitched and will allow water to come up).

Bottom line I have had my KC on many outings and have been nothing but impressed. I think Sprinbar is a bit fat and happy and overpriced.

LOVE mine also

Can anyone advise how much space it takes up in the vehicle (FJ40)?

We mostly camp in warmer weather. How are the Kodiak / Springbar tents for ventilation?

I would recommend you give your Kodiak a good coat of a product called Camp Kote which is specifically for canvas tents. It made a huge difference after 25 years with the family's 6 man springbar.

I recently called the Kodiak company with a question about their various models. Their rep. talked about how waterproof they are and mentioned that some people use "Kiwi Camp Dry" coating on them. I asked about Camp Kote and he said it is not recommended - it will plug up the pores and the canvas won't be breathable. He said to stick with a silicone based product like the Kiwi stuff.

Just a FYI, I haven't personally tried any of these.

Can anyone advise how much space it takes up in the vehicle (FJ40)?

I have the family camper seven (Springbar) and it is like packing a beer barrel (Although a soft one:)) for size plus the poles which come in a bag that is say 6 feet long but fairly thin say like Brittany Spears lower leg....:D

I went to Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday to look @ the Kodiak 10x10. A very impressive package, the D shaped doors, thick canvas & the neat storage pockets really make for a good tent. $399 on sale for $349 until 6/30. Waiting for Bush's check.
John

How big are these 10x10 Kodiaks when packed up? I couldn't find any pic's online that showed them in the storage bag.

How big are these 10x10 Kodiaks when packed up? I couldn't find any pic's online that showed them in the storage bag.

The Spring Bar Traveler 5 is almost exactly the same tent. From their web site
Pack Size & Weight
Tent bag size 17" x 24"
Pole bag size 8" x 56"
Minimum weight [2] 59 lbs
Pack weight [3] 62 lbs

Notes:
[1] Measured at the lowest point of the roof
[2] Average weight of tent and poles only
[3] Typical weight with all included items
Over 4.5' for the poles packed!!!!:eek:

Is Kodiak Canvas tent made in USA or overseas? I'm getting tempted to buy one.

Is Kodiak Canvas tent made in USA or overseas? I'm getting tempted to buy one.

Out of curiosity I called the customer service # on their web site to ask. I wonder who Brightpath Enterprises is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom