just bought a 96 80.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here are the Rims. comments?
20220422_115117.jpg
20220422_115110.jpg
20220422_115113.jpg

took all of the interior plastic out and the carpet. carpet was filthy, like everything else in the interior, roaches were having a ball under the passenger seat. pulled it all out and soaked it with simple green. then washed it all out with the water hose. smells better, looks better. I will pick up some SEM tomorrow and try my luck at painting the plastic. going to order a carpet kit tomorrow, too. also, still plugging away at a hose here and there. got to get a pulley holder before I tackle oil leaks and the front of the engine maintenance. I will post some of the clean version tomorrow.
20220425_082024.jpg
20220425_082026.jpg
20220425_082024.jpg
20220425_082026.jpg
20220425_082027.jpg
20220425_082028.jpg
20220425_082031.jpg

took all of the interior plastic out and the carpet. carpet was filthy, like everything else in the interior, roaches were having a ball under the passenger seat. pulled it all out and soaked it with simple green. then washed it all out with the water hose. smells better, looks better.....
Mine had a funk in it that kept coming back. Especially in the heat. Used an ozone generator in it- and never again had a funk...maybe something to explore if yours has an odor

What cassette is in the player?!!

took all of the interior plastic out and the carpet. carpet was filthy, like everything else in the interior, roaches were having a ball under the passenger seat. pulled it all out and soaked it with simple green. then washed it all out with the water hose. smells better, looks better. I will pick up some SEM tomorrow and try my luck at painting the plastic. going to order a carpet kit tomorrow, too. also, still plugging away at a hose here and there. got to get a pulley holder before I tackle oil leaks and the front of the engine maintenance. I will post some of the clean version tomorrow. View attachment 2992250View attachment 2992251View attachment 2992250View attachment 2992251View attachment 2992252View attachment 2992253View attachment 2992254
I'll bet you can power wash and scrub that carpet so clean it will be unrecognizable.

I like the idea of an ozone generator.

the carpet is in the trash pile. but the plastic will clean up like new.

I found a little rust along passenger side of rear trunk along the seal. I guess I will be replacing rear hatch seal.... I will check the cassette.

Seconding the idea of pressure washing the carpet. I've been amazed at how well it works on auto carpet. I swear the previous owner of my rig just dumped spaghetti sauce between the front seats. Filthy animals.

the carpet is rotten, literally falling apart.

today, I changed the PHH in 1 hpur flat.....then had to pull it all back put because I had the clamps pointing to the top and couldn't get to them....but 2 hours and it was done. it fell apart in my hands when I pulled on it.

what is the long smaller hose forward the PHH that loops to the intake on the opposite side? do I need to worry about that one too?
20220427_124912-jpg.2993856

I finished changing out the brakes lines today too. soon as I get a crankshaft holder tool, I will be diving into the front of the motor. I think for good measure I will Change the valve cover gasket too.
20220427_124930.jpg
something else I found this morning was a burglar alarm. i didnt know it had one, but the switch was buried in a plastic panel and I thought when removing...hmmmmm wonder what thats for. this moening it wouldnt start until I reinstalled it and plugged it back up. it disables the starter. you get nothing. so, i guess I am proud to have that.
20220427_124928.jpg

20220427_124912.jpg

I'll bet you can power wash and scrub that carpet so clean it will be unrecognizable.

I like the idea of an ozone generator.
Ozone will destroy plastics and rubber quickly. I’d be careful. I deal with it at work. I know first hand.

Ozone will destroy plastics and rubber quickly. I’d be careful. I deal with it at work. I know first hand.
Yep I was warned of that before with my 72 bmw...didn't hurt it and didn't hurt my 97 LX...

I guess call me lucky?!

today, had a little time to piddle. removed radiator and flushed. it was a mess. hoses are in decent shape, but I am replacing with oem anyway. put on new water pump and gasket, removed and replaced steering gearbox with reman unit. removed power steering reservoir and hoses, they were all rotten and ripped by hand, prob original to car, 27 years old. Replaced high pressure hose, and then noticed........ I need more hoses.....Trans lines going to cooler, all original, and more power steering hoses. Toyota single handedly keeps the rubber hose industry alive and profitable. I did not dive in this deep to not address all hoses.

no one commented on the hose next to PHH that wraps behind valve cover and goes to intake. what does it do? prob need to replace it also. I bet I will have $1000 in hoses alone before I am done.....

20220428_151056.jpg
20220428_151058.jpg
20220428_153001.jpg
20220428_153439.jpg

AND, got to get two new idler pulleys and new belts........ may as well throw on a new valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals.....while I am at it.

today, had a little time to piddle. removed radiator and flushed. it was a mess. hoses are in decent shape, but I am replacing with oem anyway. put on new water pump and gasket, removed and replaced steering gearbox with reman unit. removed power steering reservoir and hoses, they were all rotten and ripped by hand, prob original to car, 27 years old. Replaced high pressure hose, and then noticed........ I need more hoses.....Trans lines going to cooler, all original, and more power steering hoses. Toyota single handedly keeps the rubber hose industry alive and profitable. I did not dive in this deep to not address all hoses.

no one commented on the hose next to PHH that wraps behind valve cover and goes to intake. what does it do? prob need to replace it also. I bet I will have $1000 in hoses alone before I am done.....

View attachment 2994852View attachment 2994854View attachment 2994855View attachment 2994856
It might be one of the hoses in this kit, not sure though

The hose is likely the one that goes to the throttle body. The exit (entrance?) to the throttle body goes down to near the water pump.
You have to almost remove the throttle body to get to the hose clamps. If you're pulling the intake, go for it.

Edit to add a question:
Is this cooling loop on the throttle body to prevent icing?
Are there any negative aspects with a hot throttle body?
Is it necessary in all climates?

Last edited:
The hose is likely the one that goes to the throttle body. The exit (entrance?) to the throttle body goes to that small hose at the top of the radiator (don't break it! you will).
You have to almost remove the throttle body to get to the hose clamps. If you're pulling the intake, go for it. Get them both.

Edit to add a question:
Is this cooling loop on the throttle body to prevent icing?
Are there any negative aspects with a hot throttle body?
Is it necessary in all climates?
I am not an expert, but I don't think you can have icing on fuel injected engines. I am referring to the absence of "carb" heat on fuel injected aircraft engines. maybe you are thinking backwards on the issue.....maybe the coolant line is evacuating heat from something that is otherwise getting too hot??? I don't know..

Nice, I have 33s on stock lift. Might get around to replacing the old shocks with OEM height one of these days: supposed to give you an inch or two lift over the 25+ year old components.

Taking off those running boards will give you a lot more clearance too on the break over.
would you get the heavy load springs? I would like 1 to 2" of lift, but don't want it to sag if I put 200 lbs in it or pull a small trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom