Jack stand placement and lifting/raising cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'd be fine jacking from any point on the housing. However unless you have a TALL jack you might not get enough lift to fit stands underneath.

Thanks for the confirmation!:cheers:

Dave 2000 said:
Sorry I do not agree about working on the vehicle whilst is is facing up or down ANY slope, level ground only.

+1 on jacking only on hard, level ground when working on the truck. Nothing beats a cement pad in a warm garage.

On the trail to stack rocks is another matter...

I don't think you can be too careful about working under your truck. Safety questions should be welcome on MUD. We read all the time about injuries or worse. A Newark guy died in April when one of the two jacks he had set failed. MUD advice about two tires plus two jacks could have saved his life. But it will save one of our lives because someone wrote about it here.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ark-man-dies-when-jack-under-truck-fails.html

I don't think you can be too careful about working under your truck. Safety questions should be welcome on MUD. We read all the time about injuries or worse. A Newark guy died in April when one of the two jacks he had set failed. MUD advice about two tires plus two jacks could have saved his life. But it will save one of our lives because someone wrote about it here.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ark-man-dies-when-jack-under-truck-fails.html

Bravo.

Is this a real question, seriously?

Put them under the axle.

My question is this if you do not know how to properly jack up and support the truck do you really think you should be working on it?

If only fully qualified people worked on every project, there would be no Meth labs, no Congress and no on-line help forums!

I drove by a guy in my neighborhood this week fully underneath his ford truck with both F wheels off, with the truck solely being held up by a hydraulic flood jack. I really wanted to help out, but I did not have nards to work through the issues to stop and explain enough to get him to use jack stands, even borrowed ones. I saw him several hours later on my way home...he was still alive.

Wrench safe my friends.

Better to ask and confirm than to plow forward unknowingly. I had a friend that was killed under a car that the jack collapsed. He wrenched on cars for MANY years and it finally got him. I am always safety concerned when working on these, or any other car, truck, tractor, or ?.

I came home last week to see my attorney neighbor under his Spyder changing the oil with only a floor jack under one rear corner. Only his legs were sticking out. I got in my driveway, grabbed a jackstand from my garage, and walked over and stuck it under his car so if it did fall, it wouldn't squish him. (Yes, I would have saved an attorney...)

It's not the splat of the fall that kills you. It's the compression and pressure on your chest that makes it so you can't breathe. That's a horrible way to die. (As if there is a good way....)

I just checked this thread to make sure supporting my 80 isn't too different from my 55, but as long as we're telling dangerous jack stories...

a few weeks ago I saw a guy had a large sedan jacked up, one curb side wheel off, no stands as far as I could tell. He had his head and chest under the car, waist and legs up ON THE SIDEWALK. I guess cut in half would be a quick death.

Used to work with a guy who was completely under a Ford Granada MK1, it was only held up by a scissor jack, the inevitable happened, the jack collapsed or the car moved and fell off and he was crushed to death.

I am under cars more or less on a daily basis and even with years of experience I occasionally still have to stop and check that I have added additional supports before diving under, it is so easy to forget, not when you are about to undertake some repairs that are going to take a few hours, but when you are just going to pop in a set of brake pads for example, the 'it will only take a minute' attitude. Then you find one of the pads are jammed and there you are with your grips tugging to and fro and the car rocking without extra support, bin there dun that.....and still (rarely) still do it.

regards

Dave

Safety first, that little man in the background is the reason I go to so much trouble.

IMG_1707.jpg

Some of my thoughts:
Get a decent Jack and Stands....amortized over your life it's pennies...plus it's much safer
Use the wheel as a jack stand when available.
If lug nuts are removed and tire wont come off; kick it like a mule with your back to the vehicle, don't bust your toe trying to kick tire off.
Carry a lug wrench with a long handle for good leverage.

This thread is still getting some likes - ha! ive been working on my cruisers for 13 years now. We now own 4 land cruisers and a 3rd gen 4runner. I've had the privilege of teaching my kids to work on our trucks, on how to be self-sufficient when broken in the woods, of adventuring in the world, of not being afraid to ask questions, no matter how simple and beginner may they seem. 3 of my 4 kids are into wheeling and wrenching to some degree. Here's to another 13 years, and more, of memories, learning, and adventures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom