Builds Isuzu 4HE1TC into FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hybrid A

And finally, we have Hybrid A (a little fanfare here – horns a blowing, crowds cheering, etc.) WELL THAT WAS EASY! But will it work? Stay tuned for the next episode “The Great Isuzu-Toyota Merger” or ‘Andy Eats Crow”

The pic is of an A440F transmission with the bell housing and torque converter from the AW450 attached to the front. This combination will bolt directly to the Isuzu 4HE1-TC, no adapters required.
Composite-2.jpg

Ahh yes, I jumped the gun a bit. Much clearer now. :). I'm sure it will be "The Great Isuzu-Toyota Merger," aka "Andy the Landcruiser God." (Maybe you should change your thread title now.) :). Nice pics and write up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe this weekend I'll get it in the NPR.

Last edited:
Hey, you can have my confidence. I'm not the one doing this. :). I'm too much of a wuss bag to take such a jump... and I'm still in school and don't have a plethora of cash... that might have something to do with it. :).

The Switch

Out with the AW450 and in with the hybrid. In the 1st pic, you see the advantages of using the NPR as a test platform – almost everything can be done from above. This is especially good for some of us older folks. Also helps to have a fork lift available.

2nd pic is of the back end of the 4HE1. On the left side, around 10:00 o’clock, is the pocket that the starter fits into.

3rd pic - in with the new transmission: Working from above, it me less than an hour to pull the old and bolt up the new transmission, including time spent counting flywheel teeth. And that was working by myself.
Out-with-the-old.jpg
Fywheel.jpg
IMIn-with-the-new.jpg

Next pic is of the hybrid tranny bolted in. I had to remove the exhaust as it would have interfered with the T-case. Surprisingly, everything hooked up without any real fab work: oil cooler lines, shift cable, speedometer sensor. With a little tweaking, I was even able to reuse the FJ62 transmission fill tube.. I did have to fab a temporary rear mount to hang the transmission from crossmember.

I did notice that the two transmissions are set up with a different shift patterns. The A440F has P-R-N-D-3-2-L positions on the shifter whereas the AW450 has P-R-N-D-2-1. The AW450 has a button on the side of the shift lever for OD disable. The end result is the same.

Prior to taking it for the test drive, I still need to make up a drive shaft, for which I have all the pieces, reroute and reinstall the exhaust, and cobble up a linkage for the throttle valve cable.

Its getting close!!!!
Its-in.jpg

....I did notice that the two transmissions are set up with a different shift patterns. The A440F has P-R-N-D-3-2-L positions on the shifter whereas the AW450 has P-R-N-D-2-1. The AW450 has a button on the side of the shift lever for OD disable. The end result is the same.....
OK, so the AW450 is more equivalent to the ecu controlled A442F and you will need the ECU connected for proper/full operation if you end up using the AW450. I hope your A440 proves durable, but I suspect its life will be significantly shortened since it runs fewer clutch plates and the 4HE1 should generate 'useful' :D torque.

I appreciate the effort of the writeup.

OK, so the AW450 is more equivalent to the ecu controlled A442F and you will need the ECU connected for proper/full operation if you end up using the AW450. I hope your A440 proves durable, but I suspect its life will be significantly shortened since it runs fewer clutch plates and the 4HE1 should generate 'useful' :D torque.

I appreciate the effort of the writeup.
Thanks for your comments. I'm very interested to get others input and suggestions, especially from people who have experience and knowledge of the Aisin transmissions.

I'm unfamiliar with the A442F but did a little searching and I believe you are correct. The AW450 may be closer related to the A442F than the A440F. It kind of make sense from the evolutionary prespective. A440F-> A442F (hydraulic) -> A442F (electronic) -> Aw450 (electronic).

I agree regarding the wisdom of using the A440F behind the 4HE1. Not only is there a question of durability, but I doubt that the shift points of the A440F wouild work well with the characteristics of the 4HE1. If "Hybrid A" (based upon an A440F core) works, and at this point I think it will, i want to try building up "Hybrid B" based on an AW450 core. This arrangement will use the AW450 electronics and I hope will be a better match, both durability and performance-wise, to the 4HE1.

Just out of being curious, do you plan on running the A440 cored hybrid to death, or near death? It would be interesting to see what kind of life expectancy you can see out of the A440.

HDJeighty- Just to add, many of the questions on Rodneys Wholesale Automatics forums are concerning higher horsepower/torque applications than the 4HE1 and he says that these can handle more than people imagine; even without the valve body upgrades. He mentions many times that the key is keeping it cooled. I can't remember if the FJ62 came stock with a transmission cooler in front of the radiator like the 80's. Perhaps something else to consider Andy while you work on the AW450 core hybrid? :) Good work. I check this thing several times a day for new developements. :).

Just out of being curious, do you plan on running the A440 cored hybrid to death, or near death? It would be interesting to see what kind of life expectancy you can see out of the A440. ..

No, I'm not. I just want to see if it works reasonably well. In the long run, I'm really more interested in the AW450 core hybrid.

Besides, the A440F does not have an opening for the pto on the side of the transmission whereas the AW450 does. I may not be able to fit the pto in due to its size, but I'd like to try.

Cool deal. Will you run it in your FJ62 while you're working on the AW450 hybrid? And, do you mind if I post a link to this in the 80's section? I know alot of guys have been interested in diesel swaps lately.

Cool deal. Will you run it in your FJ62 while you're working on the AW450 hybrid?
No as I will need to pull the A440F apart to get the output shaft to build the AW450 hybrid. Besides, I still have to address the starter location issue, which I suspect won't be trivial.
And, do you mind if I post a link to this in the 80's section? I know alot of guys have been interested in diesel swaps lately.
No problem. Might get some useful feedback from the 80 crowd.

Cool deal. I'm sure it will be an enthusiastic reaction. :).

on the starter.... would it be possible to go with the toyota bellhousing... swap out the starter gear rings and then use either a B or H series diesel starter?

on the starter.... would it be possible to go with the toyota bellhousing... swap out the starter gear rings and then use either a B or H series diesel starter?
I think that the reason that the Isuzu starter is located alongside the transmission rather than the conventional "alongside the engine" position is because the 4HE1 engine has the gear train that drives the IP, cam, oil pump, etc., at the back of the engine. Therefore, all of these accessories are located at the back of the engine also. Even if you could get a starter to mount from the front of the bell housing, it probably would conflict physically with these accessories.

Subscribing...

Also, you need to rework the 440 so it can build full line pressure at a lower RPM. I think you need to rework the governor.

Last edited:
I thought about that, but honestly, the 3FE and A440 are already at low rpm. I cruise at about 63 mph at 2000 rpm. Same as many diesels, right around their prime torque band.

Subscribing...

Also, you need to rework the 440 so it can build full line pressure at a lower RPM. I think you need to rework the governor.

You may be right but unfortunately I don't know enough about the internal workings of an automatic transmission. I'm approaching this from the level of "mix and match parts". First step is to see if it even drives with the configuration that I'm putting together. From my perspective, this is one big experiment and I'll be pleased if I can get the thing to go forward and backward.

subscribing. A very interesting project indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom