Builds Isuzu 4HE1TC into FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A Little Detour

I’m waiting to get my driveshaft back. It should be ready in time to install this weekend. Meanwhile, I thought that I would get the exhaust back on and get the TV cable connected.

Since I have the exhaust off, I decided this would be a good time to add some egt probes. I also wanted to get some idea of the back pressures in the exhaust system. I used stainless T’s to hold the egt thermocouple probes and provide a pressure port as well. I drilled out the side of the T that threads into the turbo all the way to the side port otherwise the probes would have obstructed the pressure port.

Pic 1 shows my egt monitor. As a side note, the two-sensor meter plus two K-type thermocouples new cost less than one stainless T. Go figure!

Since I had the turbo off, I decided to install both pre and post turbo sensors. There has been an ongoing discussion about the validity of using post-turbo egt sensors. Hopefully, with this setup, I’ll be able to see if there is any reasonable relationship between pre and post turbo readings.

Pic 2 of probes in turbo (pre-turbo)

Pic 3 of turbo reinstalled w/probes and pressure plumbing.
EGT-gauge.jpg
Pre-Turbo-Probe.jpg
Turbo-&-probes.jpg

To monitor everything, I used whatever gauges that I had handy. 1st pic is of my rather crude but functional instrument panel.

Pic 2 is of the bracket and linkage that I cobbled together to attach the transmission throttle valve cable to the cable that comes from the truck’s accelerator pedal. May not be perfect but close enough for a test. I tried to set up so the pull would be the same at the idle position and at full throttle as on the FJ.

Pic 3 is my “Big Rig” exhaust. This was the easiest way to put the exhaust system back on and still keep it out of my way. All I need now is to get the muffler and pipes chromed! :grinpimp:
Panel.jpg
TV-Cable.jpg
Big-Rig-Exhaust.jpg

Nice, it'll be good to see your results.
I did exactly the same T setup the first time I was measuring backpressure, but couldn't find steel fittings so was using brass.

One thing I did find, your guages have to be all together. Otherwise you find yourself trying to shift veiw from one to the other and trying to work out if they're in-time or one is lagging.

...One thing I did find, your guages have to be all together. Otherwise you find yourself trying to shift veiw from one to the other and trying to work out if they're in-time or one is lagging.
Good point. I may rearrange them. I wanted to put together a data acquisition system to be able to record all of the data simultaneously but that was an over kill. I may just borrow my wife's camcorder and mount it so it will record the gauges. My test track is only about 1/2 mile long and, due to the spring thaw and resulting pot holes, only a short portion will be driveable so my test runs will be short. Maybe I'll get brave and venture out on the public road :D

Ooooh, I see a Youtube video coming....

Please do us all a favor. When you youtube this, be running a straight pipe exhaust.

astr,

Can you provide more info on that EGT meter? I can't see from the picture if it has a "max temp" feature. Is there another function hidden under those TC leads?

Are the TC leads connected to the front of the meter, as in hard wired???

Rick

astr,

Can you provide more info on that EGT meter? I can't see from the picture if it has a "max temp" feature. Is there another function hidden under those TC leads?

Rick

That's a hand-held K-type thermocouple reader. I have a similar one.
The thermocouple leads finish in those yellow mini-K-type plugs which slot into the reader where you can just see one under the cable.

I use those mini-k-type connectors on my EGT probe leads as they don't throw your thermocouple out of calibration (cold temperature junctions).

astr,

Rick

Dougal pretty much summed it up. This is a general purpose meter, not specific to EGT. It has two receptacles on the front for two K-type thermocouples. Most EGT probes are K-type thermocouples. There is a button that will allow you to hold a reading but it will not automatically capture the max temp. Other buttons allow you to select *F or *C, Thermocoupe A or Thermocouple B or read the difference in temp between the two thermocouples. Here is a link to where I bought mine 2 K-Type Digital Thermometer w/ Thermocouple Sensors b - eBay (item 230329067094 end time Mar-10-09 20:10:05 PDT)

It was a lousy weekend to do the test runs. Had to get them in between rain storms. The pavement was wet so always got wheel spin on launch. With the accelerator floored, transmission wouldn’t shift – the engine would reach its rev limit and sit there. If I eased off the accelerator, it would shift to the next gear and the shift was quite hard. Because of the short length of the “track”, I only managed to get to third gear, although I did hit 50 mph. To correct this problem, I’ll try to adjusting the TV cable.

The last two runs were with the T-case in low range so were slow but was able to get through all four gears. To get a better feel for what is happening, I really need to install a tach.

Bottom line: It worked! :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

Unfortunately, I’m going to be out of town for the next month so any further testing will have to wait. I’ll play with this configuration a bit more to hopefully get some of the bugs out but I really want to move on to the next hybrid configuration – the one based on the AW450 core.

funny watching you fishtail! Nice job dude.

subscribing. Nice job. I was wondering when someone was going to do this.

So how are the shifting patterns with this hybrid setup?

funny watching you fishtail! Nice job dude.

Actually, during that run, I was trying to shift manually and accidently put it in Park and locked up the raer wheels. :eek:

It sounds really good for what looks like an open pipe. What did you get the gauges to read?

It sounds really good for what looks like an open pipe. What did you get the gauges to read?

I was too busy trying to sort out the transmission shifting stuff to pay much attention to the gauges. I did notice a boost of about 12 psi with a pre-turbo backpressure of around 20+ psi. The exhaust was basically a straight open pipe of maybe 3' long past the turbo. Surprisingly, it wasn't that loud. I don't remember what the egt was reading, other than I thought it was low.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom