Is it reasonable to build a "Rubicon ready" trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
I did Rubithon for the first time this year with my 2 daughters and dog. We had a great time on the trails and meeting all the others enjoying the ultra-well organized event. While we were relatively comfortable, piling everything on top of my rig in order to fit everyone inside doesn't make for the the best handling rig.

So, in order to fit my wife on the '09 event, I'm considering building up an "expedition" trailer. I've already found an M416 trailer in fair shape. I'll be getting it sandblasted and prep'd for paint/fabrication. Obviously, things will evolve through the process. Basic plans include a RTT, water, propane, storage for cooking equipment, etc. My plan is to have the same tire/wheel as on my rig (35 X 10.5 X 16) for overall simplicity.

The main concern for me is the suspension. I've read through various threads on different forums related to this and I can't seem to come to a sense of direction in my mind. Some feel that one only needs suspension to keep it stable and the items "safe" from breakage. While others design relatively sophisticated independent systems with airbags for adjustable ride height.

I'm leaning toward softening up the stock leaves or even finding a way to put the stock coilovers I took off my FJC since they are laying around collecting dust. I've read that some put old Jeep leaf springs, others take leaves off the the stock units, all to soften them some.

Thanks in advance for any links, suggestions and/or guidance...

My SPEN (pre-bantom) trailer has been through the Rubicon with no problems.

It has also been to most of the trails in the Sierra National Forest at one time or another in the last few years.

It is stock, sua on skinny 33'sand gets loaded.

I think most of the suspension additions are added for hwy driving.

Semlin built a trailer and posted it. It is an M101. He then towed it from the Vancouver area to MOAB and back. If I did something like that, I would be looking at better suspension options.

Search Threads Started by Semlin in the Trailer Tech Section. There are about 11 or 12 really good threads covering what you are about to do with almost every question answered.

My SPEN (pre-bantom) trailer has been through the Rubicon with no problems.

It has also been to most of the trails in the Sierra National Forest at one time or another in the last few years.

It is stock, sua on skinny 33'sand gets loaded.

I think most of the suspension additions are added for hwy driving.

Semlin built a trailer and posted it. It is an M101. He then towed it from the Vancouver area to MOAB and back. If I did something like that, I would be looking at better suspension options.

Search Threads Started by Semlin in the Trailer Tech Section. There are about 11 or 12 really good threads covering what you are about to do with almost every question answered.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience. At this year's Rubithon, I don't recall seeing any trailers but I was with the FJC's. I appreciate knowing its a reasonable goal and someone other than the "Disaster Trailer" has ventured up the trail.

I have found and gone through most of the build up threads, all very informative and loading me with plenty of ideas. I have seen few references to Rubicon trail worthy rigs, not that its some "standard", just that many seem to prefer more "fire road" type trails with their trailers.

I'll did see posts by Semlin and his "green" trailer. Very basic and highly functional. I would be towing from NC to CA so having a "road worthy" suspension package is important to me...

The M416 is already "Rubicon ready." You will need to do a spring over swap to run 35s on it. The suspension will do just fine on the road. I take mine on the road and it works well with the spring over. The only thing that I will eventually change, is ad a lower shock mount to the axle. Right now, I am using the original spring plate on top of the spring pack with its shock mount. It works well, but I would like to move it down to put the shock closer to the original angle and running length. Check out my M416 build in my signature.

There were a few trailers on the 1994 TLCA Rubithon. I tried to find some photos, but haven't yet. I will post them when I find them.

Good luck with your build.

Semlin actuall started his build threads.

Search "Threads" started by Semlin in the trailer section.

I don't know if this will work or not. (I bring the big basket of suckage when it come to links.)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=4088682

No, the link worked perfect, thanks...

The M416 is already "Rubicon ready." You will need to do a spring over swap to run 35s on it. The suspension will do just fine on the road. I take mine on the road and it works well with the spring over. The only thing that I will eventually change, is ad a lower shock mount to the axle. Right now, I am using the original spring plate on top of the spring pack with its shock mount. It works well, but I would like to move it down to put the shock closer to the original angle and running length. Check out my M416 build in my signature.

There were a few trailers on the 1994 TLCA Rubithon. I tried to find some photos, but haven't yet. I will post them when I find them.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the feedback and reading your build up thread is very informative and inspirational. Nicely done...

You don't want/need a flexy suspension on an offroad trailer, especially on the M416 since it pivots on the lunette hitch. Too soft a suspension could make the trailer tough to control when towed on dirt roads, or too spongy when unloaded.

You want height (as recommended above) for clearance, you'll want to extend the tongue on the trailer so you can back it up/re-position it on the Rubicon, and you'll probably want/need some armor on it, it's easy to tip a trailer over on the 'Con. Make sure you protect the tent as part of your design. I also suggest fuel/water tank locations as low as possible to keep the trailer's COG low.

You don't want/need a flexy suspension on an offroad trailer, especially on the M416 since it pivots on the lunette hitch. Too soft a suspension could make the trailer tough to control when towed on dirt roads, or too spongy when unloaded.

You want height (as recommended above) for clearance, you'll want to extend the tongue on the trailer so you can back it up/re-position it on the Rubicon, and you'll probably want/need some armor on it, it's easy to tip a trailer over on the 'Con. Make sure you protect the tent as part of your design. I also suggest fuel/water tank locations as low as possible to keep the trailer's COG low.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been reading through a whole bunch of threads and your trailer and contributions keep coming up quite a bit. I've learned a great deal from all the build up threads, its just a matter of putting everyone's feedback and experiences together with what my vision is for using this thing.

I just keep bookmarking various threads for future reference once I get the thing torn apart, sandblasted and primed. Until then, its about reading and educating myself on what it will take to make it fully trail worthy...

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been reading through a whole bunch of threads and your trailer and contributions keep coming up quite a bit. I've learned a great deal from all the build up threads, its just a matter of putting everyone's feedback and experiences together with what my vision is for using this thing.

I just keep bookmarking various threads for future reference once I get the thing torn apart, sandblasted and primed. Until then, its about reading and educating myself on what it will take to make it fully trail worthy...

My pleasure, I'm glad to help and expedition trailers is a topic close to my heart, there weren't many out there when I first started mine so I had to go through a lot of trial-and-error.

I was at Rubithon '07 and that I kept thinking of the mods needed to get a trailer through. Key thing would be to not make it too tall, and to extend the tongue, there are a lot of tight spots on the trail where a stock M416 will jacknife as soon as you start backing up, and those FJC tail lights are vulnerable to the corners of the trailer's tub.

I've seen several build-ups where the drawbar was changed to a telescoping unit; allowing for a very short bar where necessary and long for the highway.
Brakes are a nice addition; there are times when I'm descending a hill with my Conqueror and I can feel it nudging me forward.
I like your idea of recycling the coilovers; I think that would work well. I've got long leaves and stout Gabriels right now and they do the trick.

This is another great forum for trailer advice; Martyn Davies will pop in and offer some of the best free advice you'll ever find:
Expedition Trailers: Sponsored by AT - Expedition Portal Forums

Here's a very quick video of my trailer on a tame forest service road:
YouTube - Conqueror on FS road

I've seen several build-ups where the drawbar was changed to a telescoping unit; allowing for a very short bar where necessary and long for the highway.
Brakes are a nice addition; there are times when I'm descending a hill with my Conqueror and I can feel it nudging me forward.
I like your idea of recycling the coilovers; I think that would work well. I've got long leaves and stout Gabriels right now and they do the trick.

This is another great forum for trailer advice; Martyn Davies will pop in and offer some of the best free advice you'll ever find:
Expedition Trailers: Sponsored by AT - Expedition Portal Forums

Here's a very quick video of my trailer on a tame forest service road:
YouTube - Conqueror on FS road

That is what I was thinking also and have seen a couple people do. I like the flexibility in being able to adjust it on the fly or during a trip.

And, yes, I've spent many hours over on the Expedition Portal board as well. I've read through some of Mr. Davies posts and am compiling quite a large number of bookmarked threads for reference.

thanks...

Hi,
If you take a trailer on Rubicon look in the rear view from time to time. It really sucks for a group of built rigs to get stuck behind a couple of trailers that need to do a lot of maneuvering to get through tight spots. Not that you shouldn't be there with your trailer, just be aware and pull over to let traffic by once in a while.

That said, if it gets the wife and kids out with you, do it. And remember there are a ton of less traveled trails you can use it on. I think you will find the experience is even more enjoyable when you aren't sharing a trail with a crowd.

Hi,
If you take a trailer on Rubicon look in the rear view from time to time. It really sucks for a group of built rigs to get stuck behind a couple of trailers that need to do a lot of maneuvering to get through tight spots. Not that you shouldn't be there with your trailer, just be aware and pull over to let traffic by once in a while.

That said, if it gets the wife and kids out with you, do it. And remember there are a ton of less traveled trails you can use it on. I think you will find the experience is even more enjoyable when you aren't sharing a trail with a crowd.

Yup, good point. I took my daughters this past Rubithon and the wife met up with us for a bunch of time in Moab and CO. I'm just using the Rubicon as a relative reference point, not the "gold standard" and, once complete, it will be used in a variety of trails for sure...

I thought the pics at the end of the thread were from a trip using the trailer. Sorry, I guess I assumed too much...

yes you are correctt

While not towed behind a Toyota, I took mine on the Rubicon with just a spring over, new shocks, stock military tires and wheels and standard length tongue. My tent is nice because it is so big, but it also hangs over the sides almost even with the fenders and I only touched once and a quick adjustment with a different line worked well. I also would say keep the handles on the side as they would be a big help if you got into a sticky spot as you can lift the entire unit up with 4 big guys.

The Rubicon is really not as tough as other trails out there and most of the harder obstacles have by passes that you can take if you want.

With that said, the Rubicon does have some tight spots and there is a ton of traffic on it and having the trailer behind you does take a bit more time and attention by the driver. So much so that I am not sure that it is worth the extra hassle to sleep off the ground for one night. I found that I had more fun on my Rubicon trips without the trailer. I love using the trailer as a base camp for hard wheeling or for taking the trailer on longer trails around Grand Canyon, Moab, or even in the woods in Colorado where the wheelin is a bit more tame and you don't have to worry about the trailer at all.

While not towed behind a Toyota, I took mine on the Rubicon with just a spring over, new shocks, stock military tires and wheels and standard length tongue. My tent is nice because it is so big, but it also hangs over the sides almost even with the fenders and I only touched once and a quick adjustment with a different line worked well. I also would say keep the handles on the side as they would be a big help if you got into a sticky spot as you can lift the entire unit up with 4 big guys.

The Rubicon is really not as tough as other trails out there and most of the harder obstacles have by passes that you can take if you want.

With that said, the Rubicon does have some tight spots and there is a ton of traffic on it and having the trailer behind you does take a bit more time and attention by the driver. So much so that I am not sure that it is worth the extra hassle to sleep off the ground for one night. I found that I had more fun on my Rubicon trips without the trailer. I love using the trailer as a base camp for hard wheeling or for taking the trailer on longer trails around Grand Canyon, Moab, or even in the woods in Colorado where the wheelin is a bit more tame and you don't have to worry about the trailer at all.

Thanks for the feedback and I completely agree. I'm just using the Rubicon as a relative reference point.

I'd also agree that using it for extended trips like you mention is the primary reason for me building this. And, I'd also like to make it capable enough for a bit more technical terrain as the Rubicon can put at your wheels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom