I Force V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40 said:
The japanese don't copy.
They take a good design and improve on it.

Toyota, to my knowledge, had never made a pushrod V-type engine, at least based on the SBC

The VZ and UZ engine series has always been an overhead cam type engine.

If the Chevy V8 is such a good design, why had Toyota never put a SBC clone/upgrade into their vehicles?

Did you not read my post.? I said F/2F are copies of the Chevy inline 6 engine. Never mentioned anything about Toyota copying a SBC.

If Toyota were to put a SBC clone into their vehicles, I think there would be some litigation following.

Toyota makes some good engines, but they're not all great. Look at the crap they produced in the early 90 with all of the v6 blowing head gaskets?????

GM make some good engines too, but many are crap too. SBC just happens to be one they got just right and has been around for over 50 years.

You say Japanese don't copy. They take a good design and improve on it. I guess that would be true since Aisians are known for reverse engineering. Too bad they don't spend more time innovating.

It's been said many times but what about a 1HDT? You could always intercool it if you wanted more power. Assuming it doesn't have to be gas....

Martin White said:
It's been said many times but what about a 1HDT? You could always intercool it if you wanted more power. Assuming it doesn't have to be gas....

Here in the US, they are hard to find, and VERY expensive.
There is usually a wait for parts.

As a side note, I have a 3VZ-E in my 4Runner, and I was trying to find a 2LT turbo diesel to put into it. The 2L was brought in in 84 and 85 in the minitrucks. But those are RARE trucks. And parts are VERY hard to find.

The only one I could find was a '92 2LT with 220,000 miles for $4000.

IT would have been a drop in replacement, but the starter, flywheel, clutch set, was differentthan the 3VZ and the parts were special order.

IMHO, at least in the US, the Toyota diesels aren't an option due to parts availability.

FJ40 charles said it best, that he doesn't want to be in BFE with a broken motor part, and have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts.

Then again, with the toyota engine, you're less likely to be broken down in BFE...

Tigerstripe40 said:
FJ40 charles said it best, that he doesn't want to be in BFE with a broken motor part, and have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts.

Then again, with the toyota engine, you're less likely to be broken down in BFE...

Tiger Stripe,

So are you saying Toyota alternators, water pumps, thermostats, hoses, vacuum lines, distributor, starter, fuel injection parts, computer, motor mounts, head gaskets, AC compressors, fuel pumps, are better on a Toy engine than a SBC?

Most of these parts are wear items and will fail at the worst possible time no matter what brand of engine you have.

Very few engine failures on the trail are internal (broken rod/crank, dropped valve). You could experience these issue with hydrolock.

I've never had any engine failures of any kind with my SBC engine.

fj40charles said:
Tiger Stripe,

So are you saying Toyota alternators, water pumps, thermostats, hoses, vacuum lines, distributor, starter, fuel injection parts, computer, motor mounts, head gaskets, AC compressors, fuel pumps, are better on a Toy engine than a SBC?

They do seem to be made to higher tolerances than the GMC equivalents. Hoses are a moot point, as they are standardized.

But, 2 Rigs I have intimate knowledge of:
My 76 FJ40 with a stock 2F, and a few, select, chevy parts.
And my friend Kates 1971 FJ40 with an 1991 TBI SBC, otherwise, it's almost identical to mine.

My FJ40 has a boatload more miles on it than Kates does.

I pulled the original 1976 distributor out a few years ago because I desmogged the motor, and put in a vacuum advance distributor, this old distributor is sitting in my gararge, and has virtually no shaft wobble.

Kates distributor went bad a few months ago. The the shaft wobbled, and shorted out the signal generator coil.

When we were pulling the cam gear off of the distributor, I was comparing the 2 distributors. There was virtually no wobble on the now 30 year old distributor, verses a trashed 15 year old distributor.

That said, a new distributor for my 2F is $300.
Hers was $40
They are inexpensive, and widely available.

calamaridog said:
I have to say, you are my hero and your Pig is my new favorite Cruiser. Bad ass.

X2 congrats dude !

Yeah good point about the 1HDT. For your use then, what about the Cummins 4 cyl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom