Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well after getting diddly squat done on the build the last few months due to being swamped at work, I decided to leave my job so i can finally focus on the build. Friday was my last day, what a great feeling.

Got to wrenching again today, nothing installed as I was just dismantling all the previous engine bay wiring. i really need to add two more holes in the firewall for all the cables, consolidate everything wired previously and make some space... need to fit the larger alternator, refit AC and intercooler, and then squeeze in the new items: catch can, double diaphragm brake booster, two bussman waterproof fuse boxes, LED antiflicker modules, by-pass filter, and the goliath 120amp DC-DC charger. its going to be a tight squeeze with some creative bracketry I imagine.

need to remove the alternator bracket bolts on the water pump and posted a question here if anyone can help.... Casing gasket advice

Hello Damien,

Nice to hear you're able to leave your occupation to devote some time to what drives you. Do it right, pal (not that there's any necessity to tell you that), so hats off. I'm somewhat in the same boat, i want my Cruiser perfect for the abuse i will provide it (which i have been giving it already, even as i don't consider it ready), and i am just yet unable to make it perfect, but all in good time. Get it right, pal, to hell with what anybody else says. And when you're in the middle of nowhere and the, uh, bodily waste matter hits the ventilating device, the damn car keeps working for you. That'll be a lasting reward on your initial efforts.
I've just put mine in the lake next door (okay, only up to the door bottoms), blablabla, and it keeps providing decent transportation. What wonderful cars they are. Don't give up, and we want to hear about it.

I decided to leave my job so i can finally focus on the build. Friday was my last day, what a great feeling.

Ha.. you can take the boy out of Queensland but you can't take Queensland out of the boy....surfs up, what job?
Man I would just love to drive off on a Friday, middle finger in the air as I drive away never to go back......problem is my employees have my phone number.

Ha.. you can take the boy out of Queensland but you can't take Queensland out of the boy....surfs up, what job?
Man I would just love to drive off on a Friday, middle finger in the air as I drive away never to go back......problem is my employees have my phone number.
You hit the nail right on the head mate! :)

Today decided tot attack the brake booster, so i removed all the clutter in the vicinity.
2016-08-16 12.10.37.jpg

I just thought I should snap a photo for posterity, the guys at Mako really took my petition seriously to make this manipulated second hand part look like a new one (to pass customs). Really appreciative of what they did to get it to me at no extra cost.
2016-08-16 12.16.19.jpg

should add a little more brake boost
2016-08-16 13.57.17.jpg

started cleaning up a few minor surface rust patches around the booster mount and decided to take to the whole side and cure the surface rust under the battery from battery spillage by the PO
2016-08-16 16.40.27.jpg

waiting for paint to dry, so will install tomorrow. dead easy to remove, just have to loosen off the brake lines as far as you can so you have the movement to take out the booster.
2016-08-16 16.40.40.jpg

I miss something here .. that's a Ford brake booster which it's a bolt on replacement for ours ? ( 70 series booster ? )

I miss something here .. that's a Ford brake booster which it's a bolt on replacement for ours ? ( 70 series booster ? )
the ford sticker was just a trick to get it past customs, its illegal to import used or refurbished car parts in Peru, so i had them paint it and put some makeup on it to pass as a new part

I'm not actually sure what type of booster it was originally. Usually mako take your existing single diaphragm booster and do surgery on it to turn it into a double diaphragm, or possibly just adapt the mounting bolts on an existing double diaphagm that will fit the master cylinder, such that it then bolts straight on again. Me being in Peru and them in Australia made delivering my booster difficult, so i told them what i had and they made me one up, presumably from a used part.

What i discovered today is that the 4 rear bolts didn't line up correctly, and i had to drill out the M8 holes to 12mm to accomodate the slightly different bolt pattern... wasn't happy about that, but its now snug at least.
IMG_20160817_1922188.jpg

Hard to know if this is a Toyota booster converted to double diaphragm with part of a PBR booster, or if this unit is just a PBR double diaphragm booster from some other model and they put an adapter plate on the back to roughly match my mounting point, very roughly it seems or they misjudged what i had. I thought I was getting the former, but give the mounts had to be modified I'm not sure, but will find out soon.

Either way PBR is an australia performance brake company, so it should be alright... was going to fit it today, but waiting for paint to dry again after drilling the bigger holes
IMG_20160817_1746170.jpg

I downed tools after my last wrenching session to spend almost a week running around lima sourcing parts and tools, which is a major effort in itself with Lima being one of the most chaotic cities in the americas, but I have some minor health issues and I'm having to rest up at the moment, so little informative progress worth posting.

So as a bit of an update, I decided to undo everything I had wired to date and have removed most of the non OEM wiring... i started electrical additions six years ago, and progressively added more and more, so apart from having a reasonably neat birds nest, my accessories have also changed, I've found a compact waterproof solution for my multiple relay/fuse box situation, I'm now relocating most appliances due to a revised 'floor plan' for the payload area, and i made what i now consider some mistakes: like using the same coloured wires (i bought big rolls, one colour per gauge), used some low quality fuse components years ago before i found a shipper willing to send me anything from the entire Blue Sea range... so the easiest and best route is now going to be starting from scratch, and not fitting it until after all my furniture and components are physically fitted to make sure it is all accessible.

My dilemna is what software i should use to record it, as i want to end up with something similar to the factory EWDs for reference when I'm diagnosing/repairing years from now and have forgotten or am under the influence. I currently use excel for circuit planning, but that doesn't help me physically locate anything once it's installed. So far I have downloaded PC|Schematic and EDraw Max, the former looks awesome and might be able to manage the free licence with limitations, but it is a proper electrical engineers tool so I'm not sure whether I have time or the resolve to learn it essentially for a single job, although after a play with both, seems like learning it will be quicker in the long run. Some will say I am crazy, but it will become a mobile home and I literally have hundreds of additional fuses in the system.

I have the install side partly covered, i now have rolls of 15 wire colours in 14AWG and six colours in 10 & 12AWG, and bought a ton of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 pin deutsch plugs. Labeling relays and fuse boxes will be easy, but not sure if i will bother labelling the wires if I'm using individually coloured wires, deutsch plugs on everything and diagram software to record it all.

I might start wiring my fancy relay/fuse boxes from bed if i can't get wrenching soon :)

Hello,

AutoCAD is a good choice. So is Microsoft Visio. The latter is pretty much drag-and-drop, no steep learning curve; with some tweaking you can end up with an FSM-like drawing.

If you stick with Microsoft, OneNote is good for keeping track of repair/upgrade/maintenance tasks.

Hope this helps.

Juan

AutoCAD is a good choice.

Thanks Juan, i have and use visio for org charts, yeah a bit too basic and time-consuming for my complex system, but I'll look into AutoCad, as that's something I've always been exposed to but never used, always just got by viewing withva dwg viewer, and i was thinking about exploring it a bit for my drone mapping work.

But can you tell me if it does more than just 'draw' electrical symbols and lines? For example, in the first one i mentioned, if you insert a relay, the symbol has a properties box where you identify the power source, device etc, from a list of those you have already inserted, so the lines are created and adjusted automatically... That's the sort of assistance I'm looking for, as it honestly daunts me when I look at just how many circuits i have, I mean my auxiliary loom will be larger the factory loom, and the factory loom is already ten A3 diagram pages in the EWD, so i think if i had to manually draw i wouldn't do it and would just label the cables and hope my memory outlasts the vehicle!

Hello,

Yes, Visio is rather simple when compared to AutoCAD. Yet you can drag and drop a symbol and then double click on it. A small text box opens. You can then enter details.

This example uses a relay.

After you drag and drop you get this:

upload_2016-9-5_20-43-18.png

Then you double click on the shape and a textbox opens. The zoom is a bit exaggerated to see it.

upload_2016-9-5_20-42-23.png

Then you type, for instance, Voltage and Type.

upload_2016-9-5_20-47-36.png

The font size is some 6 points by default. You must select the text and change it to 12 points or more to make it readable.

Right click the shape and you can change more details.

Hope this helps.

Juan

So after 12 pages of some of the most complex wiring I've ever seen, you're starting over??

So after 12 pages of some of the most complex wiring I've ever seen, you're starting over??
Yeah, sounds crazy i know, and probably is crazy for a bystander, but in part, being such a complex system is the issue, the other part being the changes in technology over the last six years which has influenced everything, this is what happens when your build takes too long i guess!

like just the lithium batteries for example, in 2010 they were just a pipe dream, now I'm changing everything with a huge alternator to accomodate them, not even going to use a battery isolator this time, just run to permanently independent systems directly from the alternator.

Anyway, I've done a lot of different types of work in my life and i have experienced that starting again is usually quicker than accomodating and reusing. The electrics is probably what i enjoy most about the build anyway, so no issues whatsoever for me starting over.

Like before I'll do the consoles and components on the bench first, still have a lot to do welding and body wise before painting, and the looms won't be installed until she's painted as i want to take her in there completely stripped.

Gringo o Peruano...??

Siempre existe el trato diferencial o como dicen en Colombia "Según el Marrano"

Yo Ingenieros Peruanos de estos tiempos no conozco en estos dias pero tengo varios amigos que preparan y corren carros de rally en el Dakar (Y en todo terreno desde hace 4 décadas) que conocen algunos peruanos que tienen en gran respeto (gente estudiada en Ingeniería mecánica, no chambones de taller de tercera (En Colombia estos señores estarian volando cohetes a la luna, son brillantes pero si cortan una que otra esquina..

Si quiere les preguntó..

Last edited:
not as much progress as i'd hoped despite quitting work, they really needed me to finish some stuff off for them as a freelance and i couldn't say no to old friends...

anyway since last post i made a total change in strategy: when i started pulling her apart in august i had envisaged stripping her and being off the road for many months, but I've decided to to it another way and maintain her in a running state as i go, mostly so i can test things as i go instead of having to test a whole swag of stuff all at once and 6 months after installing.

so i put the new double diaphragm brake booster in.... OH MY GOD. I think you may have heard this comment form others that have done this to 70's, but all i can say is the same... what an incredible difference. she stops on a dime, and i can lock up the big wheels. probably now the best mod I've done. you gotta wonder why they didn't put those 80 boosters in the 70s when they could have.

IMG_20161017_1646177.jpg

she sticks out quite a bit further, both from the extra booster size and the large spacer mine came with at the back of the unit against the firewall, but still have clearance on all the brake lines without needing any modification whatsoever, and will be nicer for running cables back there, previously i had to run cables over the top as there wasn't room behind for extra looms.

IMG_20161017_1646348.jpg

while i was finishing up the last of my distractions (work) i had been testing the solar panels. i had previously planned fixed panels, but for parking in the shade, less installation hassles and attracting less attention on the road, i decided to go for two folding panels, 240W in total. They seem to do a really good job in tandem, my paper calculations say it should work how i want in clear weather, but I really won't know if i need a third panel until she's built and tested in the wild.

these come with a really basic solar controller incorporated, not sure how good they are, you just connect directly to the 12V battery to be charged, but the question now is whether I leave them like that or remove the controllers and use the high quality dual-battery solar controller and monitor i already bought years ago for the fixed panel installation previously planned, the latter will give me much more control of charge profiles and flexibility over charging between batteries, as well as a good readout of actual charge voltage. i will be hard-wiring them to anderson plugs near the front and rear bumpers regardless of which controller i use. I'm leaning toward the latter while i determine if there's any advantage to keeping them as is.

IMG_20161016_1743258.jpg

You say you're crazy, you may be right; but it's a good crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom