Hummer EV and the 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure, you can have ALL that and maybe more (like playing PONG while car self-drives).........yet still be constrained to traveling around big cities and always limit yourself to within range of a supercharger.

For example, my brother Model Y cannot go on a trip with us to Big Bend National Park because no supercharger around Big Bend. There is one destination charger there outside BBNP but it is in RV park...good luck finding a place there! And the super chargers are too scattered along the way...so, it would take HOURS longer just to get near there!

I see the current crop of EVs as like a big bad bull dog that is tough as hell but is on a leash and is tied down to only his yard to act tough. Sure, us piglets cannot compete in that yard.......but us piglets can roam the neighborhood and even enjoy the stroll down to the sandy beach. (And we know that if a rock hits our bottom, then we won’t have to pay $16,000+ to repair.)

Sure, we're on the cusp of a change so no surprise some things need to catch up. The next gen of EVs, with 400-600 mile range, mature charging infrastructure, it's all coming and in many parts already here. Which is why IMO, Tesla is more viable as a vacation EV than many due to its network.

While you like to focus the negative, I'll tell you what the positives are. Part of the Tesla draw is in its superlative driver conveniences. Long range travel is easy and I've done 600 miles in one day. More refreshed than I've ever been in any other car. The mental load to operate and drive a Tesla is less, significantly less, than anything else on the road. From the moment entering the car, it's already on and ready. The most aggravating drives in traffic, let the car do it. Actually, let the car do it all while you enjoy the entertainment. See a gap in traffic, you are the king of the streets so take it at will. Downhill, why would I need brakes and engine braking?

If your brother is interested in additional charging opportunities, RV parks themselves have big ol electrical stands EVs can charge from. Not just from the Supercharger installed there.

Imagine feeling bad about pollution from your tiny little LC when there are places in the world that literally look like this 24/7

0FCA9C83-4C34-4B00-87C2-FE04DCAFC676.png

all these new regulations coming to USA are ridiculous - as though we are the problem. Name one location in our country that looks like that.

being in my early 20s the “2040 EV pledge” BS drives me crazy because that means by the time I’m 40 - prime time ‘kids are grown, time for a Porsche - I won’t be able to purchase/drive what I want to? I understand that these are only pledges and mostly feverishly planned goals, but the fact that our leaders are willing to even consider this is concerning.

I don’t want a glorified RC car. I don’t care how fast your Tesla goes 0-60 because it’s a piece of disposable crap that you’re not even allowed to work on in your driveway.

no I don’t want an electric hummer. Since when does that make hummers cool? It’s still GM garbage. I want a big turbo diesel v8 200 on 35s.

I’ll even pledge to plant some trees if that helps you feel better.

Imagine feeling bad about pollution from your tiny little LC when there are places in the world that literally look like this 24/7

Just because things are worse somewhere else does not mean things are sunshine and butterflies here.

We (as in, "the west") are trying to do better specifically so that we don't end up like those places.

Just because things are worse somewhere else does not mean things are sunshine and butterflies here.

We (as in, "the west") are trying to do better specifically so that we don't end up like those places.
So we are trying to do better-better than those places? I feel like we’re doing a pretty good job already ... air pollution is the great compromise of the industrial “gimme gimme gimme” era we live in.

————
my main concern with all this is the control that our international governments seem to be flexing on their citizens. I would like to choose if I want an EV/combustion vehicle.
I respect those who want a Tesla or 1000hp jeep, should we not also respect those who want a straight piped air cooled 911?

This debate on electric vs gas isn’t really valid. It’s like comparing a Porsche GT2RS and a 5.7 LC. One is RWD an turbo charged and one is 4wd and naturally aspirated. There are tremendous advantages to both.

I really want a Tesla but I drive long distances in remote areas for work and for a weekend car I’d prefer something more involving.

I don’t buy the environmental aspect as much as I do that an electric car is a better alternative for most of the driving people do - locally. No vibrations, less maintenance, charge at home, loads of tech that actually works, etc.

Whether it was about gas or pollution or not, the future would be electric because that’s what people want.

For people worried about range, don't they have roadside battery charging systems? Wouldn't this allow for someone to go into remote areas without worrying about getting stuck?

Should we include the other stuff in a Tesla too?

The point is that a Tesla getting hit below is disastrous.

Gotta pay to play. Don't let fear and FUD keep you out of the game.

For people worried about range, don't they have roadside battery charging systems? Wouldn't this allow for someone to go into remote areas without worrying about getting stuck?

They do, and that infrastructure is lightyears beyond where it was 10 years ago, but it's still lightyears behind the gas station availability.

You can find a gas station in just about any 500-person-strong hick town in the US. You can also fill a few jerry cans and get at least 50% tank capacity in minutes, when and where you need it. No such benefits with EVs at this point.

Some ~12 years ago I was spending a week in Mexico, and rented a motorcycle (2001 F650GS) for four days. I went exploring off the beaten track, and after spending a day on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, found myself running out of gas in a village of 12-15 houses. After playing charades with my inexistent Spanish, I was filled up by a pair of children who ran out of an adjacent house with jerry cans. I don't see those kids running out of the house with battery packs any time soon.

IMO for an EV to be a viable roadtrip vehicle it needs the ability to recharge from zero to full in under 10 minutes.

And for it to be a viable off-road roadtrip vehicle, it needs the ability to swap batteries and get at least 50% charge... in minutes, and in the same form factor/size/weight/expense as the current jerry cans.

Alternatively, if the jerry-can idea is not possible, it needs to have a ridiculous range off-road. If the Cybertruck can go 500 miles on the highway and (I'm making this number up) 400 miles in slow-going, off-road tracks, that would work just fine for me.

Gotta pay to play. Don't let fear and FUD keep you out of the game.

I get that. But the limitations are quite glaring as of today for a vehicle that you plan on getting to distant places.

TeCKis300, I am actually pro Tesla. But for what you wrote above, it is too rosy. And too optimistic as if tech is good now. It is not for what most of us want here on this forum as an off-roader or long distance cruiser.

And yes, like most things, I have done my share of research on Tesla. So, please don’t think that I am ignorant on that topic.

I would love to get Tesla in my family and probably will when my wife agrees to upgrade.

Has anyone actually sat in the back of a model S for more then a 10mi. trip? I have and it’s horrid. My knees are riding high and seats are absolute trash. It’s hard to sit still and lack any kind of support. For some reason the Model X is much better but nothing like Cadillac, Mercedes and Range Rover higher end offerings. What I admire about Tesla is that they are made right here in the U.S.A. That’s a big win in my book and I hope they stop pandering to stock value and work on quality control and value because they are sitting right above Land Rover in reliability. Tesla needs to continue innovating to fire up competition across all the brands.

The chargers got me to thinking when I visit family in NYC I won't be able to easily charge it there as all of the garages I frequent have monthly Tesla/Taycan patrons taking up the chargers. Though I won't need to, but it's not nice not having the option to.

Food for thought: For people not interested in cars but drive like madmen they never really had that much power to carry out their baser instincts. A 170 hp Subaru can't cause too much trouble for most people. But put them in 400 HP EVs? They'll be cutting everyone off. Jumping into people's braking zones approaching red traffic lights. Will be like driving in a third world country. Hopefully they turn the self driving on.

Back on topic: I will be buying the Hummer EV and it will be interesting to see how it will be to live with.

View attachment 2571976

all these new regulations coming to USA are ridiculous - as though we are the problem. Name one location in our country that looks like that.

being in my early 20s the “2040 EV pledge” BS drives me crazy because that means by the time I’m 40 - prime time ‘kids are grown, time for a Porsche - I won’t be able to purchase/drive what I want to? I understand that these are only pledges and mostly feverishly planned goals, but the fact that our leaders are willing to even consider this is concerning.

I don’t want a glorified RC car. I don’t care how fast your Tesla goes 0-60 because it’s a piece of disposable crap that you’re not even allowed to work on in your driveway.

no I don’t want an electric hummer. Since when does that make hummers cool? It’s still GM garbage. I want a big turbo diesel v8 200 on 35s.

I’ll even pledge to plant some trees if that helps you feel better.
As bad as those images are vehicle emissions are a very small part of that problem. China depends heavily on coal and their industrial areas are rampant with pollution productivity. A major contributor that overshadows vehicles is shipping. The boat that carried my LC from Japan likely produced more emissions in that one trip than all of the vehicles it carried for the lifetime of those vehicles. The numbers on container ships is just staggeringly high but we as car owners are painted as the bad guys.

:popcorn:

They're coming

26k for a replacement motor , I did not really even think what cost of a new factory motor owning a new LC you never think about that .

You can find used ones for $2000, I bought a 4.7L iForce motor for $800 off ebay when I blew a rod from super charger.

Have you owned one for any length of time?

Brother has Model Y. And i get report from him all the time with his ownership experience. No doubt that they are amazing...within their limits. As a daily driver or even sports car role, they are great! Yeah, for city driving, pig owners cannot match an EV that has been charging overnight.

But, to be honest, anytime that i know that i have something important to do tomorrow, then i just fill up the pig the day before (the same way that you remember to charge your EV the night before).

But did you know that their claimed 0-60 times etc are only when battery is full? If battery drops below 30-40% i think, there is throttling and your performance becomes more pigglet.

My brother went from Austin to Crystal Beach (near Galveston) for our holiday get-to-gether in a beach house. Guess what? Crystal beach has no charging station at all. So, he had to stop in Galveston to charge. He needed to charge 3-4 times...and each time, we had to wait at least 30 min to get any reasonable range. On one of them, we had to wait 50 min because it was one of those destination chargers. Mind you, all of us had to wait for him or run around grabbing food while he waits in his Y...granted he had Youtube in car to entertain him.

And he wanted to drive on the beach for mild off-roading...but was afraid since he was far away from Galveston charging station, he abandoned off-roading with us...and headed back to beach house while the rest of us continued on the beach. That sucks!

Oh, and if you carry more folks and run AC on a hot day...your range drop like a rock...at times, my brother could barely break 200 miles!

Sure, at least on my mostly stock LC, i could only get 320 miles...which is not great but hey, i can fill up instantly under 5 minutes ANYWHERE and be back on the road.

As for leaving pigs in the dust...sure...when battery is full....
We’ve had a Tesla for almost 7 years in Alaska. 4 with an S and 2,5 with a 3. My closest supercharger is farther away from me then Atlanta to San Diego, we now have a whopping 7 public chargers in an area almost as big as the lower 48. I’ve had no issues making 250-300 mile round trips, never come close to running out of battery, no issues even in the -30’s F.

there are almost no places in the Lower 48 you would not be completely fine with a Tesla as you only vehicle. Even here in AK, I love my 200 but there is no way I will buy another gas vehicle, EVs are better in almost every way. All the talk about taking longer time to charge, garbage. Every time I get gas, probably 5 min, ok so 20-30 min a month, that’s 6 hours a year, I’ve spent 0 min charging my Tesla, only time we stop to charge on the road is to stop and eat, other then that charges while I sleep.

EVs are insanely efficient at slow speeds, probably will get close to rated range off roading. Do you drive >500 miles over a week in Moab?

As for speed In our LR AWD (not performance) I’ve smoked challengers, mustangs, corvettes, RS audis, heavily modded STIs, AMGs,... even at 40-50% SOC. Here is a video of my wife and her first run ever on a 1/4 mile, super late off the line and still beat a modded challenger RT on slicks, at <60% SOC on all season tires.

I cant wait for the new hummers. They should give us more entertainment.

Joking aside until there is a better charging solution I can't see going full electric. We take drives with some regularity that are 16+ hours. Until there is a way to not add days to the trip I don't see owning electric but that is specific to my situation. I like the idea and some of the specs except the range issue.

Also I have heard how much the range goes away in the winter when you actually have to use the heat as well. Some of the folks I work with really have struggled with that in our Maine winters.

John

The range hit in winter is more short trips around town. Use energy to get it warm, stop and repeat. On the highway even at 0F I only see at most a 20% hit, somewhere around -10F and below I see a dramatic drop in range more like 30-35%. 20F on clear roads more like 5-10%, around freezing I get rated range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom