HOW TO: relabeling your switches (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank said:
Have to figure we'll need a "York" one soon.
My wife did the "YORK" button for me:
437153736_c0a4fc6480.jpg

NLXTACY said:
Anyway to get that file? I am going to start another thread with these and want to get it all together in one place.
She made it about 1.5 years ago, but I'll see if I can track it down.

A "Button Label" thread, cool idea! :hillbilly:

Joey, can you add a CDL label?
Thanks.

Yeah, or a "4x4" one.

Had one friend get stuck in my 80 when he borrowed it because he didn't know the second hazard button operated the center diff lock. :doh:

I work as a graphic designer and if you guys go to any decal shop they can make any type of label with any icon at any size and any color - perfectly. Your switches did turn out real nice, but what I do is take a pic of the icon I want on a particular switch, vectorize it on the computer and print it out as a label. Most shops of course would have a minimum charge, but I'm sure you could get like 5 diff. switch labels and about 10 of each for like $45 - includ. the design time. I know our shops minimum charge is $45.

I have made posts before saying if anyone needs graphics of any sort for their vehicle I can do it. I actually specialize in vehicle wraps but also factory-reproduction decals, using exact colors and sizes. My BJ-74 had the nasty red and gold decals on the side when I got it, one of the 1st things I did was reproduce the factory deacl kit in a more "appropriate" color... turned out nice. My HDJ-81 came with the super nasty burgundy fender flares and burgundy 2 tone - my wifes only stipulation when I bought the 80 wasI had to get rid of the burgundy - cheaply. So I wrapped it in a 3M metallic charcoal. For easily half the price of paint. The 3M vinyl is warrantied for between 5-9 years... no pain in the ass like painting...

Also if you notice my 70, I camo'd it with a metallic vinyl that was just off from the paint color... its a real amazing alternative to paint that has no limits, for our wraps we can print anything at photo quality ( for those guys that want a wolf howling at the moon at sunset on their hood )...

anyways if anyone has a project or something in mind I may be able to help or give suggestions to with anything of this sort feel free to message me... I know I would be happy to create decals when needed if you send be a good pic of what you want and provide sizes, etc.

Now some pics...
May Long weekend 003.jpg

the BJ-73 before...
Sept 2006 015.jpg

for the factory stripe I used another of Toyotas designs, I liked it more than what mine came with.

here is my HDJ81, just picture everything thats is now charcoal as burgundy... it was ugly. Sorry I dont have a before pic here at work... should I be working?
Cayman Nov 2008 001 (2).jpg

GENIUS!

Thanks for posting how to do this. I probably wouldn't have thought of trying to relabel these things on my own. I just relabeled an old hazard switch to an auxiliary light switch using a modified version of this process.

First, I took my icon and mirrored it in Powerpoint. I printed it on regular white paper (laser printer) at work. Then, I printed a regular version of the icon and a mirrored version on 3M clear laser printer labels. Finally, I put one of the laser printer labels on each side of the paper using a light table to perfectly overlay them all. The reason I used 3 overlayed prints was that the backlight bled through the black when using just one.

Finally, I glued the label to the original piece of plastic using Loctite Go2 glue. I tried superglue originally, but it smeared the toner on the labels. Loctite Go2 glue is clear and doesn't smear the toner.

Here's the results:

Button Re-Label.jpg

Still work great! Just did a hazard into CDL button. Thanks @NLXTACY
But I could not grasp the scotch tape role. I did a dab of superglue.

Still work great! Just did a hazard into CDL button. Thanks @NLXTACY
But I could not grasp the scotch tape role. I did a dab of superglue.
Does it have the same harness connection? I'm wondering why the CDL switch is so expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom