Inexpensive alternative to OEM switches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
This may or may not be tech, but I was looking for an OEM switch for my OBA system. My plan was to relocate the existing switch to the dash to avoid me leaving the compressor engaged and draining my battery overnight. And, yes, I did that twice, thank you very much.

OEM switches run about $45 or so depending on what you get, but thanks to Jeffery, I found this for about $12. While it doesn't specifically mention fitting an 80 Series, it is an exact fit. It does not have the same gloss finish as the OEM product, but it's close enough that it doesn't offend me. I just need to change the icon.

Switch closure is BLU/YEL with BLU as the load and YEL as +12
RED is dash illumination and BLK is GND.

Amazon product ASIN B094K2LW36

Quick update. I had to slighty round the corners of the switch for a flush fit. Took about 30 seconds with a piece of emery cloth.
20230807_171031.jpg

20230807_170917.jpg

I like it.
Been looking to get rid of my carling switch's. That might be the ticket.
Is it going to be possible to change the symbol?

I like it.
Been looking to get rid of my carling switch's. That might be the ticket.
Is it going to be possible to change the symbol?
Not sure yet. I have 3 switches to do so far, just wanted to get the wiring done first.

I have a 94 with the earlier dashboard which I prefer to the later version however, I see the later switches can have the labeling changed, anyone managed to change the labelling on the earlier versions?

Regards

Dave.

I love the look and feel of the OEM switches. I'm currently using a hazard switch for my CDL and a defrost switch with a label to turn my fridge on/off in the rear. My 4th switch in the picture is an OEM toyota switch but it is clunky and crude and I'm not a fan. It's connected to a relay to turn on my remote controlled rock lights.

1691499803028.png

I couldn't help myself and I ordered the switch from Amazon to replace my remote controlled rock lights switch. I'm really interested in the brightness of the internal light and if it is replaceable.

I wanted a super bright blue light for my fridge switch to remind me it was on. I tried painting several incandescent bulbs with a blue sharpie. While this produced the hue I wanted it also dimmed the light to half brightness or less.

You can get the exact same switch off AliExpress too. A few different options such as Fog, Fan, LED, hazard etc

There are a few options from Australian vendors for compatible switches too. I got a custom one with my own text a year or two back. Available in horizontal or vertical orientation.

You can get the exact same switch off AliExpress too. A few different options such as Fog, Fan, LED, hazard etc
There's a few different options on AliExpress. I also realized I've purchased one of these knockoff switches from ebay thinking it was genuine. The one I got was very used and the action felt really crunchy.

Curious what happens when you turn on your snorkel...
So I was at Cruise Moab in 2011, and a 100 Series was struggling to get up a rock face. The spotter yelled to the driver, "Turn on your snorkel!".
I couldn't stop laughing, so I made a switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom