How to Improve Sound Quality of Factory Stereo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

After listening to my wife's stock Infiniti G35 Stereo (non-Bose) the other day I realized that the sound quality in the LC really sucks.

I have a 2003 LC with Factory Nav and was hoping some of you guys have found ways to improve the sound. I already replaced the front door speakers but that did not seem to help. I think the key is in the Amp.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Replace the rear door speakers with something of high quality and at least 93dB sensitivity rating. Same for the fronts if you put in OEM for replacements.

Next, replace (or have someone replace) the amp under the driver seat to an aftermarket one with at least 40W per channel.

Might want to go ahead and get at least a 10" sub with amp and kill the weak OEM subs - they're worthless.

Replace the rear door speakers with something of high quality and at least 93dB sensitivity rating. Same for the fronts if you put in OEM for replacements.

Next, replace (or have someone replace) the amp under the driver seat to an aftermarket one with at least 40W per channel.

Might want to go ahead and get at least a 10" sub with amp and kill the weak OEM subs - they're worthless.

Thanks for the info. Do you know the dimensions of the stock AMP on the 2003? Also, do you know if it is 2, 4 or 5 channel?

I know I can check it out myself but I'd like to avoid removing the seat until its time to do the install.

Funny timing. I JUST had a 4 channel aftermarket amplifier installed in my 2002 LC because I felt the exact same way. Even with the factory JBL system and factory navigation, I felt the sound quality was awful and the whole system was underpowered.

I went with a 4 channel MTX amp to power the 4 door speakers. Then I had the factory JBL amp bridged to power the stock subwoofer. Now the sound quality and volume are much better, but because the JBL amp wasn't intended as a mono amp, there's a light hiss that is detectable at low volume. If it bothers me enough, I'll just replace it with another aftermarket amp.

I was very surprised that a $55k+ car with upgraded JBL sound system sounded as crappy as it did. What's up with that?? Meh, took care of that.

I changed to a Alpine Amp and a RockFord Fosgate P2 (12" Subwoofer) and it made a 100% difference. I have the sub turned down becuase I'm really not into the door mirror rattling music.... ookk sometimes... but it was a step to clearing up the weak sounding bass

I was about to make this same post. I hate the stereo in the Land Cruiser. Its terrible compare to my Lexus GS430. If you do something with a local shop, let me know. I might follow your lead.

I've got JL Audio XR door speakers powered by an Alpine amp(forget the model number) and a JL 10" W6v2 subwoofer in a sealed box powered by a JL Audio 500/1 amp. One of the best setup's ive heard in a vehicle, although the Bose setup in the 911's is pretty good.

Loud,
Are you running the JL tweeters also? If so bolt in or make your own mounting bracket?

yeah, i am. I dont remember how they're mounted it been a few years. I THINK they bolted in, but cant recall. I'll check when I'm stuck in traffic next.

I have:

(4) Polk DB675 in the doors on an Alpine 50Wx4 Amp with internal crossover.
(1) VIPER 12" DVC Sub on a 120Wx1 Mono Amp.

Weak tunes are gone forever... :D

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/98412-how-diy-door-speaker-swap-uzj100.html

Do you think this Amp would work (Alpine 4x50W, Hi / Low Pass Filter):

Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

I already have infinity speakers in the front doors so I will probably get a set for the rear door as well.

I pulled the amp that was originally installed in the pics from the other thread I linked a year or so ago. It was a 6CH and I had the sub channel bridged, but it lacked the power.

I replaced it with an older version of that amp you are looking at. It's an excellent choice and at $169, it's a STEAL. Sound quality is very good, crossover is pretty good, and the flexibility of the options it has is nice.

Just make sure to get some rear door speakers. That amp will throw the OEM speaker guts in a hurry.

I did the same thing in my 2007 LC but ended up having an annoying "HISSING" sound from my aftermarket speakers. I am just wondering if any of you guys had any problem with hissing sound from your speakers after your upgrade.

I had someone installed the aftermarket system. Focals on both fronts and rears and Audison 5.1 for the amp. Were you guys able to set up your system without the factory amp? Because my installer tried taking out the factory amp and unfortunately the head unit wont work without the factory amp. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

I did the same thing in my 2007 LC but ended up having an annoying "HISSING" sound from my aftermarket speakers. I am just wondering if any of you guys had any problem with hissing sound from your speakers after your upgrade.

I had someone installed the aftermarket system. Focals on both fronts and rears and Audison 5.1 for the amp. Were you guys able to set up your system without the factory amp? Because my installer tried taking out the factory amp and unfortunately the head unit wont work without the factory amp. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

is it a hissing sound coming from yur speakers when you accelerate?

That's a new problem: The head unit (Navigation) does not work without the factory amp? Can anyone confirm this?

The hissing sound is always there as soon as I start the truck....check all the ground wires, changed speaker wires to bigger ones, etc. I am going back to my installer tomorrow and we're gonna do more testing. The supplier doesn't agree that it's a defective amp. So I am keeping my fingers cross.

Yeah. The head unit (navigation, stereo, etc.) of an '07 LC won't work after unplugging the factory amp. The screen says "Plug the factory amplifier". It's a pain coz we have to add more wires for the connection of factory amp to aftermarket amp plus the fact that the space under the passenger seat is so limited.

Last edited:
I bought 2way infinitys for the front and am thinking of returning the same rear speakers and get 3way for the rear.....I am replacing them myself...

i am going to get a someone else to replace my amp and subwoofer..

I picked up 4 Polk 6.5" speakers for the doors. The rear sub is muddy and rattles at times Any idea what I need to put in the enclosure to kick it up a notch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom