HJ60 24v electrical issue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI everyone, this is my first post! I've been building my 60 series for a little over a year and haven't needed to post or ask anything as it's all in these forums so first of all a BIG thank you for sharing all of this knowledge. It's helped enormously!

So my question (that I can't find an answer to) is as follows:

Mines a 24v truck with positive linked to negative… when I crank the engine (I have fuel problems but this is a separate issue) I get a small amount of what seems like electrical smoke from the top of the brake booster… which isn’t good. Seems to me like an earthing issue when I crank the starter.

My setup is:
Battery 1 passenger side (UK)
Positive - linked to negative on battery 2
Negative – linked to engine mount passenger side and earthed to body

Battery 2 drivers side (UK)
Positive – linked to starter motor
Negative - linked to positive on battery 1

There is one other earth strap from the bell housing just behind the starter that goes to the chassis. see here New item by Ryan Haigh - https://photos.app.goo.gl/wf8dkuVqdX5Xgr248
See images of earth from passenger side negative here New item by Ryan Haigh - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qiebivAriQsCXjMQA

The engine cranks over lovely, I have 2 new batteries and I've cleaned all earth straps and connections.

What have I done wrong here. It’s all original cabling I think I’ve just connected it wrong.

*NOTE, battery 1 negative goes to body by battery and ALSO to the top of the engine mount as per the second image in my post. (I forgot to mention this)

I have a 24v hj61 and the way you have described the battery setup is the way that mine is. I don't think it would crank if it wasn't configured properly. That's not your problem.

For the brake booster to be smoking you must have a poorly earthed body or engine. You should in the very least have:
  • An earth from a rear transfer case bolt to the floor of the body
  • From the chassis to a bolt on the brake booster
  • From the battery direct to the chassis
  • From the Chassis to engine (fuel filter housing bolt for example
  • From the Chassis to bell housing.
There is no downside to multiple earths for body, chassis and engine, poor earths cause all sorts of unexpected and difficult to diagnose issues, its worth going further than you think is necessary. Use big thick cables with very well crimped lugs and prior to bolting them on to the chassis, engine or cab make an effort to get back to bare metal at the attachment point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom