Help please - Part time kit now no cdl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys,

Like everything else in life, there’s good news and there’s bad news. The good news is I got my lower transfer case gears and spool, bad news is that I have a part time LX450 that won’t go into 4wheel drive.

I have a cdl switch
Everything worked fine before I pulled the transfer case
Looks like three plugs into the transfer case, I unplugged and reseated each one
When I hit the button, I hear the relay and the motor, but no cdl light and more importantly, no front driveshaft engaged, same if I go into 4l

Thoughts? Help

Tried turning the driveshaft by hand after hitting the button?

Hit the switch, driveshaft doesn’t spin, looked under the truck while it was moving. Also, most of the threads I read talked about no motor whirl, but I’m not sure where to go from here since my motor whirls. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Pull the plug on the cdl at the t case , next plug jumper wire into the plug hit the button, if light comes on wiring is good and light works, no light it is in the switch at the case or burnt bulb. You should also check the fuse

Did you put the case in 4low before you pulled it so you dont have to reindex the locker?

Hi,

The case was in 4l when I pulled it, hard to reach the cotter pin any other way. It was NOT in 4l when it came back. I don’t understand what Reindex the locker means.

Also, if the relay pops and the motor makes sound, does that mean the actuator is not moving and therefore the position sensor is not sending a signal and that is what I am testing for?

Long story short, went part time to get ready for cruise Moab, and am now a little stressed as part time is cool, but no 4x4 kinda sucks. All help greatly appreciated,

OK, I was doing some more reading and found this very helpful thread.

CDL Actuator Fun

Since I hear the actuator motor run when I push the CDL button, but the spool does not lock (I can still turn the driveshaft), is it fair to assume that for whatever reason, the actuator is stuck and I need to take it off? That would explain why the light wont come on, because the "L4 position switch isnt tripped". I am a little bummed as it was just apart for the part time kit, so I doubt it is bad grease, maybe put together incorrectly?

What about this reindexing thing, do I need to worry about that as a possible root cause?

Thanks,
Noah

The L4 Position switch and the CDL switch essentially to the same thing, activate the actuator. If you use either method, hear the relay without the whirl of the actuator and the shaft still rotates the actuator is not indexed or working properly. The CDL/ABS lights only come on when the lock completes using a separate sensor. The lock can occur without a light if that CDL lock confirmation sensor is not working.

Last edited:
I just put a spool and lower gears in mine last weekend. I ended up having to take the motor out a couple of times to get it right. You should be able to pull the motor out, put it in 4 low (tcase lever) and pull/push the shaft (shaft that the motor gear rides on) ( mind I did with the back half of the case off) to lock it into 4low spinning the front dshaft. Then with the motor out, hit your switch for it to go into lock. Motor spins to the lock spot, reinstall the motor with the bolts. At least that is what I ended up having to do, even though I locked it in 4 low to start with like the instructions say.

Thank you guys, I will pull the actuator off tomorrow night...tonight I have a dinner date with an awesome 9 year old on her Bday, which takes priority over the truck:)

Well, as a result of this thread and Ih8mud, two things happened. First, I learned how the cdl system works, including the actuator and sensors and secondly, my issue is resolved. I pulled the actuator, used a screw driver to move the gear inside the transfer case, did a test to confirm success, and then reassembled.

Thanks for the support.
Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom