Help me getting my truck through CA smog please!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get my little truck through smog in CA for the registration. It is a 81 pickup with a 22R engine, 4WD model, single cab.

The pre test showed that it fails with high hydrocarbons at idle. The cutoff is 200 something, and it read 600 something. At 2500 rpm everything passed fine.

I ordered new plugs (NKG G power), wires (NKG), O2 sensor (NKG), rotor (OEM), coil (OEM, the old one looks like s*** and has partially broken wires), dizzy cap.

When I brought the truck in it sat for an hour till they ran the test, so I suspect it was not hot.

The guy there claimed that the heat riser was slightly cracked, but I can't see a problem there.

What else can I do? Run it on on E85 for the test?

thanks, cheers,
jan

what shape is your smog pump in? If things are richer at idle than running, it seems to indicate the SP may not be blowing well at idle; could just be tired, or a loose belt or the pulley may not be the right size.

Could also be gunked up inside, but it seems inconsistent for non-idle richness, but some seafoam into the manifold could clear that up.

A gallon or two of ethanol will offset the overall richness of the fuel.

How good is your carb?

What's the status of your EGR?

All your vacuum lines good?

Smog pump was mentioned.

I used to own a 1982. Funny thing about the CA issued trucks is they had an OX sensor even though they were carb'd engines. I found this out after I failed smog one year and replacing it did the trick. Another time I also failed smog because of the smog pump. Start there.

that's right! I forgot about the O2 Sensor, mine was dead when Jason at Yodaman took The Mule out for smog pre-sale, a new one put it all within acceptable bounds.

It's kind of a funny carb, because it's alot like a late 2F carb with a small smog computer tied into the exhaust, throttle and coolant and it plays with the EGR, Smog Pump and choke to regulate things. (the key difference being there's no sensor on the transmission to cross check your RPMs and gears to estimate fuel consumption)
It's the carb that bridges the gap between TBI and carburetion.

It's not really anything near a computer as we see these days, just a series of relays and solenoids that open and close when each sensor registers the right resistance. Ironically, it's almost too simple to fail.

what shape is your smog pump in? If things are richer at idle than running, it seems to indicate the SP may not be blowing well at idle; could just be tired, or a loose belt or the pulley may not be the right size.

Could also be gunked up inside, but it seems inconsistent for non-idle richness, but some seafoam into the manifold could clear that up.

A gallon or two of ethanol will offset the overall richness of the fuel.

How good is your carb?

What's the status of your EGR?

All your vacuum lines good?

The vac lines are good.
The carb looks fine from looking into it through the air filter housing, but that does not tell much. I'll sprays some carb cleaner in.

Where do I add the sea foam in and how much please?

No idea how good the EGR system and the smog pump are. The belts are new.

Thanks!

j

I just did the Seafoam trick the other day. Disconnect the large vacuum line that runs from under the carb, along the firewall and into the Brake Booster. Turn on the truck, slowly, a little at a time, pour a small amount into the Vacuum line. I used a small funnel and taped the funnel to the line as I poured in the seafoam. As you pour a little into the line, the truck will run rough and white smoke will pour out of the backend. Do that until you use the entire bottle. Not sure that you need the entire bottle, but I did. After your done, hook the vacuum line back up and go try smog again. I will take mine next week to see if I pass smog here in Central California.

I just did the Seafoam trick the other day. Disconnect the large vacuum line that runs from under the carb, along the firewall and into the Brake Booster. Turn on the truck, slowly, a little at a time, pour a small amount into the Vacuum line. I used a small funnel and taped the funnel to the line as I poured in the seafoam. As you pour a little into the line, the truck will run rough and white smoke will pour out of the backend. Do that until you use the entire bottle. Not sure that you need the entire bottle, but I did. After your done, hook the vacuum line back up and go try smog again. I will take mine next week to see if I pass smog here in Central California.

Cool, thanks, I'll do that. Also got a reman smog pump, oxygen sensor, new coil, plugs, cap and rotor and ignition wires. I'll beat the stupid smog laws!

cheers,
Jan

good luck man! Show our meddlesome state that they can't keep a good 'Yota down!

run some e85 in there. heard of quite a few other guys passing with better than normal stats. what can ya lose besides 5-10$ in e85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom