help me decide on a roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm having this built locally. Tabs at the front are for my LED bar, and another tab at the rear for a LED Grote work light. Cost < $500 for the rack only (including materials and fully TIG welded). Gutter mounts I purchased from Gamiviti.

roofrackassembly.jpg

Just came back from a weekend camping trip with the 4 kids. Definitely need to pull the trigger on a roof basket before someone is hurt.

Are there any good systems for organizing the roof? I was thinking of having the tents and sleeping bags in one box, cooking stove and supplies another, etc. Boxes/waterproof bags you like? I will buy/build based on this.

I want to be able to pack up and leave in an hour instead of the 6 it took me Friday. Thanks.

TDavidson:

I have done this routine a few hundred times now (e.g., lots of baja trips). Tom Sheppard's books might help. It does not rain much on my routes; you will need better rain protection than my system if it rains in your area. This system works well for me for 2-5 people, with or without trailer or roof rack. The duffles take up space left open by the hard cases, and they keep the small stuff from exploding in the car.

Some tips:

1) Light stuff on top. Heavy stuff down low inside. Keep the rig's center-of -gravity low, and the roof rack gear frontal area small (for lower wind resistance). I put as little up top as I can get away with each time. I have had ridiculous loads up top that were quite foolish; don't repeat this.
2) I use a combination of big heavy-duty duffle bags and the Rubbermaid action packers. The action packers are not super tough, but they are light, the seal OK (the lids stay on better than most mid-level brands), and the size and price are not bad. If you want to spend more, you have several choices for nice cases that seal well and are quite tough. I mark the various action packers with bright colored duct tape (e.g., orange, green, etc.) and mark the main items inside with a perm pen. I have Pelican cases for the valuable stuff.
3) The big duffle bags organize my chairs, tables, stove, bedding, clothes, tent, etc. Each bag is different color. Very little is loose inside the rig or loose up top. On the other hand, duffles are not loaded so heavy that mere mortals can not carry them. Each person gets one duffle and one day pack total for their personal stuff. They are directed to keep their stuff in their bags except while in use, and a bag does not get loaded unless it is fully zipped. No open (e.g., shopping) bags, and nobody gets to bring 14 bags of crap with them. They pack what they will likely need for the day in their day packs.
4) Cook kit goes in a carpenter's 3-level organized hard case. Holds everything for 5 people. It is the same height as the cooler and action packers. My dog rides on top of the action packers and cooler inside the rig behind the second row on a dog bed.
5) I unload on to a tarp to keep the gear relatively clean.
6) I use high quality straps that fit the rack and hold-downs inside. I pack for off-camber rough trails and accident damage control.
7) I use a cargo barrier behind the second row.
8) Tools go in a canvas mason's bag down in the footwell of the second row.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the hijack reply.

Last edited:
TDavidson:

I have done this routine a few hundred times now (e.g., lots of baja trips). Tom Sheppard's books might help. It does not rain much on my routes; you will need better rain protection than my system if it rains in your area. This system works well for me for 2-5 people, with or without trailer or roof rack. The duffles take up space left open by the hard cases, and they keep the small stuff from exploding in the car.

Some tips:

1) Light stuff on top. Heavy stuff down low inside. Keep the rig's center-of -gravity low, and the roof rack gear frontal area small (for lower wind resistance). I put as little up top as I can get away with each time. I have had ridiculous loads up top that were quite foolish; don't repeat this.
2) I use a combination of big heavy-duty duffle bags and the Rubbermaid action packers. The action packers are not super tough, but they are light, the seal OK (the lids stay on better than most mid-level brands), and the size and price are not bad. If you want to spend more, you have several choices for nice cases that seal well and are quite tough. I mark the various action packers with bright colored duct tape (e.g., orange, green, etc.) and mark the main items inside with a perm pen. I have Pelican cases for the valuable stuff.
3) The big duffle bags organize my chairs, tables, stove, bedding, clothes, tent, etc. Each bag is different color. Very little is loose inside the rig or loose up top. On the other hand, duffles are not loaded so heavy that mere mortals can not carry them. Each person gets one duffle and one day pack total for their personal stuff. They are directed to keep their stuff in their bags except while in use, and a bag does not get loaded unless it is fully zipped. No open (e.g., shopping) bags, and nobody gets to bring 14 bags of crap with them. They pack what they will likely need for the day in their day packs.
4) Cook kit goes in a carpenter's 3-level organized hard case. Holds everything for 5 people. It is the same height as the cooler and action packers. My dog rides on top of the action packers and cooler inside the rig behind the second row on a dog bed.
6) I use high quality straps that fit the rack and hold-downs inside. I pack for off-camber rough trails and accident damage control.

Hope that helps.

Great write up with very practical information. I love posts like this. Maybe when I retire the 2x4 roof rack ill be cool enough to tag along on a baja trip when I move back home to California next April :) my older brother and other travel buddies are slowly leaving Southern California. I need to start making some new friends that aren't afraid of Mexico haha.

TDavidson:

Some tips:

Hope that helps.

Great advise there. I'm partial to #7 :D

Thanks Western!!!. Great write up. This is what make Mud great.

Wish I could do #7 but need all 8 seats. Friend said I need a Suburban but I love my 80.

Thanks all.

TDavidson: with a rig full of people you will be tempted to fill a big roof rack with gear. Not to beat a dead horse, but watch that weight up top, as it can make the rig dangerously tippy. With that many people I would have to leave some gear at home. If my family was that big I would have a M416 style trailer...but I can be a gear hound.

DDcruiser25: I dig the flat rack.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Now I need to research trailers. Good thing ski season starts soon.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. Please continue to post roof rack pictures.

Here's mine. It's from DiamondRax. A local company here in SoCal.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

This is the BajaRack 64 inch "short" rack. It mounted right up and is really well made. The company was great to deal with, we lost one of the lock nuts and they sent another right out by FedEx.

Not the best pictures, sorry.

That rack is what we have as a 1st choice to replace the OE. I called Baja Rack to find out how low that rack can be mounted sans the OE, but have yet to hear back.

Are there adjustments to get that rack real low on a clean roof? If not, then we will be looking at the DiamondRax Low Profile unit.

www.frontrunneroutfitters.com

I put on a full size standard height rack on my 80 this summer and I am very happy with it. Personally, I prefer the flat rack for a lower profile. Everything I load up there will have to be strapped down regardless of having sides or not. This works for me, so ymmv.

Having extruded rails make it really easy to mount things to the rack. It's lightweight and super strong. I'd buy another if I had another rig to put one on.

*crappy cell phone pic inserted*

image-1849648026.jpg

Last edited:
I have a rack I built from two aluminum ramps purchased from PepBoys and fastened together with bolts and rivets. It is supported by four stout gutter brackets and unistrut cross bars. It met my criteria of being inexpensive, strong and durable. There are several threads on Mud with build details.

On another thought, I noticed many racks without wind deflectors. If cabin howl is a issue, it may be good to know how the deflector-less racks rate.

More info on the pep boys rack. is this like the one I read about made from ATV ramps?

would love some detail as I have to work on a limited budget.

www.frontrunneroutfitters.com

I put on a full size standard height rack on my 80 this summer and I am very happy with it. Personally, I prefer the flat rack for a lower profile. Everything I load up there will have to be strapped down regardless of having sides or not. This works for me, so ymmv.

Having extruded rails make it really easy to mount things to the rack. It's lightweight and super strong. I'd buy another if I had another rig to put one on.

*crappy cell phone pic inserted*

nice rack for sure, but expensive compared to other choices and about the same weight even though aluminum....

That rack is what we have as a 1st choice to replace the OE. I called Baja Rack to find out how low that rack can be mounted sans the OE, but have yet to hear back.

Are there adjustments to get that rack real low on a clean roof? If not, then we will be looking at the DiamondRax Low Profile unit.

The BajaRack does not use any part of the OE rack to mount, so mounting it without the OE rack is not a problem, it mounts to the rain gutter..

However, at least as far as the mounts that came with the BajaRack that we have, the rack cannot be mounted lower even if you remove the OE rack. The mounting brackets are not adjustable. But maybe check with BajaRack to see if they sell other brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom