1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help Center diff lock not working

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by waldrtw, Jul 21, 2003.

1. waldrtw

waldrtw

When I put my 94 Crusier in 4 low the center diff light and the ABS light does not come on. It worked just a few weeks ago before I drove across country. Any ideas on what is wrong??

Tim

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Check the low 4 position swith and the wiring to it.

3. waldrtw

waldrtw

Where is that located at?? Is that the sensor on top of the transfer case? Called the transfer indicator switch.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

Tim,

"Bad transfer indicator switch on top of transfer case. This is NOT the switch located on the rear portion of the transfer case that is normally unplugged when wanting high range center lockage. This is the switch located on the FRONT output side of the transfer case approximately at 11 o'clock when facing towards the rear of rig from the front."

Check this out: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_centerdiff.htm

-B-

5. subspd

subspd

Instead of starting a new thread thought I would resurrect this one.

I ordered the center diff lock button and a new 84222-12010 (description: "switch, transfer indicator")

I am assuming this is the problem but would like to see if you have any other ideas.

When I first turn the key all my lights come on except the center diff light. When I place the truck in low it engages fine but the center diff lock light doesn't come on and the ABS light doesn't come on. Of course when I try to engage the front or rear diffs they just flash...

Is it just a bad switch could there be anything else I am missing?

6. retrofive

retrofive

Do you hear a click from the relay (driver side kick panel)?

7. subspd

subspd

Yes I do when I go from high to low...

8. retrofive

retrofive

If the relay is working, then most likley in the one of the 2 switches on the tranny. You replaced the indicator, I believe there is another one. One is toward the front pass side, and the other toward the rear (easiest from the driver side). Mine just got stuck, after tearing everythning apart and many cycles of my CDL switch it broke free.

9. subspd

subspd

Ok got under the truck and pulled the center diff indicator since I have still not received a new switch indicator yet. I did what slew says and used a paperclip to see if I could get dash lights to come on. Low and behold they did! So it looks like I ordered the right parts now to see if I can actually get the center diff and the front a rears to lock once I get that sensor/switch replaced...

10. retrofive

retrofive

11. PeeDee80

PeeDee80

Subspd, did you get it to work? I'm having the same issue except I hear no relay click in the kick panel. I replaced the front switch on transfer case but still no luck?

12. subspd

subspd

Yep I got a new sensor and once I replaced that it worked fine. I also got a center diff button to have more control. I have noticed the more I use them the faster they engage. I think my rear sensor is bad now sense it locks up but the dash light keeps flashing.

However with my center diff I could hear the relay working, but it took about 50 on/off between high an low range to get it to start clicking.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD