Help. Broken bolt - 80-series running boards (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
plus.google.com
I am looking for a way to extract a bolt that has broken on my 80-sereis.

The running boards on the 80-series are held by 4 brackets which bolt into the body. Each bracket is bolted in with 2 bolts (top and bottom). It is the rear most bracket and then the bolt at top which has snapped - It is badly corroded and is rusted stuck in the thread in the body.

The challenge is that this bolt is located right next the the chassis-to-body mounts, and due to the shape of the body vs. the body mount, there is almost no space between the broken bolt and the body mount to get any kind of tool/drill/extractor in. There is about 3-3.5cm ( 1.5 inch) of space between the broken bolt and the body mount.
I have tried to illustrate it in the photo ... The yellow ruler points to the broken bolt (covered in black underbody anti-rust at the moment).

Any ideas on how to solve this? The problem exists on both sides of the Cruiser. Microscopic drill?
It is not possible to weld a bolt to the broken bolt as it is snapped inside the thread.

All input is appreciated, thanks.

IMG_0662.JPG

I don't have any helpful suggestions for you, that looks like a very difficult problem. Even if you were able to drill a small hole in the broken end and got a screw/bolt extractor in there, it's probably so corroded you'd just break the tool off.

I have to assume you're wanting to put the running board back on, otherwise the broken bolt wouldn't be an issue. Personally, I'd start looking for another way to attach the running board(s).

You are right, I would like to mount the running boards again after I have been driving without them for a while.
Turns out my sills and bottom half of doors cannot live without them. There are literally hundreds of chips to the bare metal due to stone debris being thrown up the the MT's.
3. party side steps would be nice in the future, but for now I will have to do with the stock running boards.

Although there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of other ways to mount them if they are to be attached to the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom