Headlight rock guards yes or no ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
I think I need to put my rock guards back on , I cracked a headlight ,dang not cool.
what ya think ,headlight rock guards or no rock guards. I took my rig for a rip this year and it hadn’t been wheeled hard in a long time. Worked flawlessly cheers all
i think I need the rock guards . What do ya all think. ,,.?

IMG_2556.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_2386.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg

There was a pair of guards on my headlights when bought my FJ40, thing is they only have four thin horizontal bars covering the lens. I think that gives me maybe a 15 or 20% chance that if I happened to be in the woods with another rig that was in front of me that kicks up a small stone that it would be deflected and not break the lens. In spite of that I kind of like the looks and think I will keep them. :>)

Totally period correct for your rig, functional upgrade that looks good.

They were very popular in the 70 & 80 and I had a set on my 1978 F250 4x4 back in the day when Disco was king and Michael Jackson with in the top 10 bill boards

Mine have been on since '95 and I haven't broken a headlight yet. They are useful on road as well and not just for the trail. Rocks and debris get kicked up by semi trucks and other vehicles too. Headlights are probably the most vulnerable part on an FJ40 grill, protect it. 👍

dang cats!! mine like to sit there too!! drives me nuts!!

i had them on until i upgraded my headlights. they don’t fit anymore. i might see if i can adjust the brackets as i drive where there’s lots of wi yet gravel and i don’t want to smash my new lights. i don’t think they look bad either.
IMG_7258.jpeg

IMG_7367.jpeg

I’ve owned my 40 since 85 and have never lost a headlight to a rock, most of those years in the desert southwest so plenty of chances. You could buy the Koito kit from the dealer for $30 and have them laying around in case of the next rock.

I’ve owned my 40 since 85 and have never lost a headlight to a rock, most of those years in the desert southwest so plenty of chances. You could buy the Koito kit from the dealer for $30 and have them laying around in case of the next rock.
I’ve got the koito kit and it’s around $80 Canadian at the dealer. that’s why I will be putting the guards back on I’ve used the guards since my first crusier in 91. I just took them off when going to the koito. cracked one so don’t want to do that again. Cheera.

Aesthetically, I try to refrain from telling someone what to do with their vehicle. I may offer an opinion though. I ran rock guards when I 1st got the 40 back in the early 80's. They didn't last long, I found they were a pita. To clean the headlight I had to remove the guards on the trail or at home when I washed it and had to be careful not to nick my hands on the little retention tabs. Since then I have never broken a headlight, but I have broken a windshield. I now run the Toyota headlight upgrade, which I highly recommend.

I'm told it is a 57 mm anti-tank gun - located in front of a local VFW post.

Got it, at first glance I though you were towing it, would be nice to have my own personal cannon 😉

I’ve got the koito kit and it’s around $80 Canadian at the dealer. that’s why I will be putting the guards back on I’ve used the guards since my first crusier in 91. I just took them off when going to the koito. cracked one so don’t want to do that again. Cheera.
i just installed this kit and it was $35 CAD from my dealer. it might just be worth having a couple extra kits for that price. hope you can find them cheaper that $80!! 🤯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom