Harbor Freight Winches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just bought my HF 12K winch a couple of months ago. There were 2 different part numbers, one had 85 feet of cable, and the one I got that had 100 feet.

Got mine installed this week, Spent sometime at my buddy shop Savage off Road making a custom winch mount for my 40. Also installed my new Custom fairlead. Swapped out the wire for synthetic. ready to wheel.

1551490_10201881280847676_316921486_n.jpg

landcrusher909 said:
Got mine installed this week, Spent sometime at my buddy shop Savage off Road making a custom winch mount for my 40. Also installed my new Custom fairlead. Swapped out the wire for synthetic. ready to wheel.

What synthetic line did you go with? Dd you get a good deal?

What synthetic line did you go with? Dd you get a good deal?

Smittybuilt line I got it from a fellow mudder a few years ago so Yes I got a good deal.

On sale thru tomorrow(the 65' cable one).

Coupon came last week and there is also a parking lot sale at the Woodstock ga location. So I picked one up after reading through this thread with my coupon.

I didn't see where people were clocking the clutch at. It is impossible to clock it 90deg. It makes more sense to me to rotate the lever on the forward side to hopefully prevent water from being driven into the seal around the lever. Looking at the ARB on my 80 I'm concerned it's going to run into interference with the gusset on the bumper. Anybody give me a first hand comment on and hopefully a picture with it clocked forward?

CO thanks for the reply.
Maybe a picture would help explain on ARB bumpers there is a gusset that is potentially going to be in the way with it clocked forward.

I'd prefer it forward my thinking being it would be less likely that rain water being driven under the seal if it's clocked back.

image.jpg

There's a parking lot sale going on at harbour freight right now (online too) and the winch is listed for $299. But I just picked up a winch for $240 shipped. Use the code 43119088 to get 25% off of the $299 price and it brings the total to $224.99 + $6.99 shipping + $9 tax= $240.98

Thanks to ERG80 for posting the coupons in his hf coupon thread he just saved me a ton of money.

Last edited:
There's a parking lot sale going on at harbour freight right now (online too) and the winch is listed for $299. But I just picked up a winch for $240 shipped. Use the code 43119088 to get 25% off of the $299 price and it brings the total to $224.99 + $6.99 shipping + $9 tax= $240.98

Thanks to ERG80 for posting the coupons in his hf coupon thread he just saved me a ton of money.

You lucked out.
Apparently coupon codes don't apply to the parking lot sale items today.Yesterday the parking lot sale wasn't in effect. Today it is.

Just FYI for 80 owners with ARB.
When clocking you will have to clock towards grill

I redrilled the solenoid brackets to move the pack down to clear the front of the truck. I sealed the unused holes and ran a bead of RTV on the top edge of the control box to try to prevent water intrusion that seems to be the Achilles heel to these winches. I only sealed the top so if water did get in it could get out.
Hopefully the pictures will load correctly. Mount the control pack to the winch before mounting the winch.

Edit: fix pictures

winch1.jpg

winch4.jpg

winch3.jpg

winch2.jpg

Last edited:
Am update of sorts. My 12k hf winch has more than paid for itself in the short time I have had it. It is slow but it pulls hard. The only thing I dont like about it is as soon as I switch it to freespool the cable unwinds itself on the drum.

Am update of sorts. My 12k hf winch has more than paid for itself in the short time I have had it. It is slow but it pulls hard. The only thing I dont like about it is as soon as I switch it to freespool the cable unwinds itself on the drum.

An easy to free spool drum is typically good (as long as nothing is wrong with the drum). It likely could be the cable that causes the drum to unspool itself.

The test for ME is how it works after a winter in WI...but thus far, I've been impressed with it...especially for the price.

To update my 2011 comments...

The 12k Harbor Freight is still installed on the front of my 80. Three winters now. And if you watch the news, you know WI went through record cold and record snowfall totals this year. I'm in TX now and VERY happy to not be at home dealing with more snow...

Wheeled the 80 again today. Hard. TOO hard, I should know better...but I don't...ended up with the rear axle suspended in the air behind a 24"+ rock...drivers frame, fuel tank, and driveshaft suspending it. Winching forward was the only option...ran the line out to Jebber's FJ40 and drug him nicely to my wedged 80. Plan B, his truck behind a rock AND some rock stacking at the passenger rear to attempt to lift the axle rather than simply drag rocks...that worked, but barely.

The HF 12k again performed without issue. My controller sticks...but so far, that's the only dissatisfaction I have with the winch.

I've yet to kill it, and I've proven time and again that I can break most things. YMMV :cheers:

Anybody have a pic of the new spring thingy they've added to the drum to help the spooling? Maybe something we could fab up for the older ones.

Anybody have a pic of the new spring thingy they've added to the drum to help the spooling? Maybe something we could fab up for the older ones.

I just snapped that of the ad....don't know if it helps or not...

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

image-4270953389.jpg

Thanks, but the pic is a bit fuzzy. What does it do, keep tension on the rope while spooling?

I had mine since nov and had only 3 good pulls so far and I like it, especially for the price.

On the side note, has anyone had this HF 12k winch installed on a '62 series with an ARB bumper? A friend is thinking of getting one but not sure of the fitment....

Thanks...

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom