Harbor Freight Winches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just bought a HF 12k winch last week... Is anybody using the 150 amp circuit beaker supplied with the winch? I would think that the draw would as be a lot higher than this under load...

Just bought a HF 12k winch last week... Is anybody using the 150 amp circuit beaker supplied with the winch? I would think that the draw would as be a lot higher than this under load...

I have; IIRC it was rated 200A? The breaker makes for a somewhat awkward install / cable routing on top of the battery; I don't have room to mount it in line elsewhere. It also gives you a lot of conducting surface that's hot; didn't like that, so I put heat shrink around it.

The winch motor is rated 6hp; that's 4474 watts. At 14.3V alternator voltage, that'll be 313 amps; at 12.0V, it'll be 373 amps....

Mind you, my truck's a mall cruiser for now. So far, the winch has pulled the truck up a very mild incline to settle the rope on the drum. I think of the breaker more in terms of a safety device for a DD in case of an accident w/ front end damage (although I'm hoping the Slee bumper would protect the solenoid & wires). For actual 'wheeling, I think I'll connect the winch to the battery without the breaker.

Last edited:
Thanks Southeast..! Thats exactly what I was looking for.:cheers:

I I think of the breaker more in terms of a safety device for a DD in case of an accident w/ front end damage (although I'm hoping the Slee bumper would protect the solenoid & wires). For actual 'wheeling, I think I'll connect the winch to the battery without the breaker.

I drug my FZJ80 up MetalMasher in Moab and the breaker did not pop...I don't know what it takes to pop it, but my overphat rig drug up a rock face on the sliders and skids had no effect...

I drug my FZJ80 up MetalMasher in Moab and the breaker did not pop...I don't know what it takes to pop it, but my overphat rig drug up a rock face on the sliders and skids had no effect...
Up Widowmaker? That's good to hear...:)

I saw one mention of switching to synthetic but was wondering if anyone else has? If so what did you buy and did you have any install issues?

I have the older model 12k and just discovered a significant snag in my line.

No issues with synthetic line. There is a threaded hole you can take the allen head out and put a bolt in to attach the synthetic line to.

I bought master pull 3/8 superline and have had it for about 3 years now.

I put a synthetic line on mine. If I remember it didn't attach directly to the drum, but I just used duct tape for the initial hold, wrapped it horizontally across the drum then started feeding it properly.

The new HFs come with a choice of a line tensioner - don't buy that one if you want a synthetic line.

Above post suggests not to use synthetic line with cable tensioner. Received the BL12k winch for Christmas and it has the line tensioner. Does this make synthetic line a no go or is there a work around? I'd like to switch over when I install it.

Thanks.

You can just remove it I believe.

I have it on mine, and I haven't bothered to try and take it off because I have to pull my bumper to do so and I haven't been in the mood to do that yet...

All it really does is limit the amount of line you can spool on the winch.

Ok....thanks. If it doesn't make any difference, other than spool out speed, I'll just leave it on.

Just opened the box to look at it.

Will start another thread...curious if it's possible to mount the control box behind the grill or in engine compartment rather than on top of winch (100 series with TJM T13).

If it's like our winches at work, it keeps pressure pushing down against the spool. With a steel cable this will help it spool up better and it can push to pay out. With a synthetic rope, it'll go limp and ball up on the drum.

My guess.

You don't need the line tensioner with syn line. Syn line is constricting, where as steel cable is not. If you take tension off the steel cable it will try to straighten out, which will birds nest on the spool. Syn line could do the same but ever ever ever so slightly, probably just a wrap or two or three.

- Steve

Thanks Steve....so any harm with leaving the line tensioner on with synthetic line? Will having the tensioner cause wear on synthetic line? I don't expect to use the winch more than a few times per year (at most).

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my HF 9000 quit working and required a $150 rebuilt motor. Much to my dissatisfaction, it has quit working again. Same symptoms. I can hear the contactor clicking and I have 12v to the terminals on the motor. Not sure if I will reinvest more money in this winch.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my HF 9000 quit working and required a $150 rebuilt motor. Much to my dissatisfaction, it has quit working again. Same symptoms. I can hear the contactor clicking and I have 12v to the terminals on the motor. Not sure if I will reinvest more money in this winch.
Are the HF 9K and the 12K completely different motor, solenoid, etc.? Or are they the same? Idk anybody running the 9K but a ton running the 12K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom