Gladly take some advise on this '71 FJ lookin' at for first FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Overall it seems like a ok cruiser.

Bad: what's under the diamond plating? And under the rhino lining?
No hard top is a bummer but I live in a cold climate too. The front bumper is not awesome.

Good: swampers, V8 and fender flares if you like that sorta thing, paint looks ok from the pics, new gauges.

I think if you were patient you could find something a little better without the lift and tires. In my opinion original as possible to start with will save you lots headaches later no matter how you build your cruiser

Just my 2 cents

The tires are going to be noisy but other than that it looks good to me. If I remember from your old post you moved to Fla. Remember here in the SE they go for more than out west, Call and ask about the diamond plate, Some people just like it! It doesnt always mean rust! If I remember you wanted a v8 also so that parts done. Ask for more pics. good luck!

A lot depends on what you want in your 40. For me, I was searching for as close to stock as possible.

Stock body lines topped the list. Uncut rear wells, no diamond plate. The modified dash would turn me away as well.

But ultimately it's what you want.

So that said. If you like what you see is there any chance of more photos?

Where are all the switches, So you can turn on the wipers, Heater, Hazards... the like?
Ask for better pic's, New rebuilt motor, Broken in properly?
Make sure you drive it first, If you cant, Im sure there will be people more than willing to have a look for you.
Good luck

EDIT...
It has a newer style windshield, The top doesn't appear to fit all that well.
Not a fan of the rear lights, But thats me :)

It could be a basket case. Make sure the V8 conversion was done correctly. 71 didn't come w/a 4 speed, what trans & transfercase? 6" lift ussaully requires some kind of steering geomemtry correction, otherwise it could really wander down the road, especially w/big fat meats. Who & how compenate was the person who did the rewire. Was it a kit? It looks like the frt fenders were cut too. The marker lights are all wrong frt & rear. Does it still have drum brakes on the frt? As mentioned diamond plate can hide rust. It has no emblems or running boards. It's been repainted and the emblem holes filled in, I wonder how much bondo was added, if any. Does he have pics b4 new paint? I think you could find a more complete FJ40 even w/a V8, but I don't know how much it would be.

I would spend a lot of time staring at a underside of that truck.
with six inches on a supention lift I think I would be lokking for a front axle that had been cut and turned.

No hard top would be an issue for me. even in alabama.

and boggers don't even drive good new. we call them brain shakers around here.

when I bought mine I was just glad to get one. after about a week I had buyers remorse, when I got it to a shop and started looking at all the
hap hazard thrown together so called partial restore that it had been subject to.

I am about a 2 years and 7-8k into. and haven't even scratched the surface of the body work I am going to have to to. new floor pans for sure.

I am not implying that that one is the same. Just be careful.

The best way to do a V8 swap is to do it yourself. that way you know what was done, with what parts.
and you will have a better Idea of how to overcome the issues that will come up.

I beleive I would buy a cruiser that sported a 2f then change it later if your not happy with the power.

Wow! Thank you all so much! A lot of things to think about, a few I had not thought about. Thank you for all of your oppinions ............ much needed and GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks agian!

TEXASgirl

"Needs a fuel filter". These comments make me laugh !! How hard is it to change the fuel filter, do it before you sell it. Like "needs a battery". Put one in it , geez !! I would check out all the comments made earlier, they made good points. Good luck with your find !!:beer:

"Needs a fuel filter". These comments make me laugh !! How hard is it to change the fuel filter, do it before you sell it. Like "needs a battery". Put one in it , geez !! I would check out all the comments made earlier, they made good points. Good luck with your find !!:beer:

Probably runs like s*** and hes trying to blame the easiest possible culprit for the next owner to fix. Naturally, changing the fuel filter won't help.

Yes, I'm a cynic. :D

is it still on drum brakes ? - then the price is too high in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom