Gear Reduction Starter for FJ40, FJ60 (NEW) First Impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

78fj40mg

TLCA #23510
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Today I received my new Gear Reduction starter which I purchased through AMAZON Rareelectrical.
The GR starter was listed for $95, however, I paid $82 shipped with some Amazon discounts. Amazon sells this unit with no core charges and free shipping, they currently have (8) eight in stock.
(No Affiliation)

http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-MOTOR-TOYOTA-CRUISER-028000-8220/dp/B007CA8JWM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421452544&sr=8-1-fkmr0er&keywords=toyota+land+cruiser+FJ60+Bosch+Gear+Reduction+Starter

First Impressions

1. The GR unit is brand new and very compact compared to the OEM Circa 1978 starter with external solenoid
2. The GR unit is manufactured by WPS (World Power Systems) http://www.waiglobal.com/wps.html
3. The box has a NIPPONDENSO OSGR STARTER FOR TOYOTA sticker
4. The GR starter has a WPS sticker on it with the following info.
MODEL 2-2143-DR
VOLTS 12V
SERIAL AB10G2
5. The size of the GR is no bigger than a small Swingline stapler and about half in size of the OEM, the weight is 8.5 Lbs
6. There's absolutely no indication of country of origin or manufacture
7 The quality appears to be an 'A'
8. The body is made of aluminum that's nicely finished and free of any burs

Pictures of actual unit

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Installation

Pending

Electrical Connections

Pending

Final Evaluation and Recommendations

Pending

Last edited:
They work great, I have one, oh, six years? now. When I picked it up at the parts store, the helpful lady (who has an 80 series) said, yeah, smaller and stronger than the original. I was skeptical, but it cranks and cranks. So nice that backward compatibility applies on these 2F engines.

Looks great! Let me know how it bolts up. Will that one there fit a 1975 2f?

-mags

I will be updating this thread after the GR starter is installed. If you have a 2F engine it should work.

Subscribed- I think I need one of these.

I think I just bought one LOL;)! I will wait to install it until my beast starter burns out, but it's nice to know I have one on the shelf that was a good price.

I bought mine used, from Georg (@orangefj45) - it's off an FJ60 and I love it!! Some guys would rather hear the old one, as it cranks, but I like how quickly it turns over and how quickly 44 starts.

My old starter still worked and I carry it as a spare.... Might have been easier to carry the GRS as a spare... :hmm: As @mags said.

Easy installation!! IIRC two wires - third existent wire not needed... Unless I return to the enormous OEM starter.

I got mine from Georg also, about 2 yrs ago.--no problems-I like the way it sounds too--lively--not like the labored sound of my old OEM-but then again, that's the difference in direct drive vs GR

Why do I have the feeling there is going to be a massive run on GRs? :cool:

I just installed one of these a month or so ago on my '75 2F. Much easier to install and fits and works perfectly. I just asked the parts wizzard for a 1985 Land Cruiser. I think the starter fits 1983-1991 but Georg or someone smarter than me will surely chime in.

The GR starters are a very simple and cost effective upgrade. Well worth it and ultra reliable.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids
Georg, just wondering- - -the small high torque/gear reduction starters were originally designed and/or used by drag racers for their strength and light weight. Then people started discovering when used daily (as opposed to on a race car on race day only) they were not holding up because they didn't have a bearing support out on the end of the shaft (for the gear to ride on). Now I see everyone is praising them here on Mud. Are they now built more trustworthy???

yup, I bolted one(fj60) up to my 65 FJ45 with the F motor.....been on for 8+ years.

Do they make these for 1F engines ??

Installation

I finally had some spare time to install the GRS and this is how it went.

Removed the old Dinosaur, heavy sucker! The new GRS is literally half in size.

full

First issue was a melted ground cable

full

Cleaned some gunk residue from around the starter opening

full

Installed upper bolt 18mm, another issue, cable to battery is now too short because of the GRS small frame
full

The lower bolt (19mm) did not fit in the hole

full

Elongated existing hole to fit 19mm bolt

full

full

Bolt fits perfectly now

full

GRS installed
full

Electrical Connections

Next I'll be installing new cables and making the final electrical connections
full

Pending

Last edited:
Georg, just wondering- - -the small high torque/gear reduction starters were originally designed and/or used by drag racers for their strength and light weight. Then people started discovering when used daily (as opposed to on a race car on race day only) they were not holding up because they didn't have a bearing support out on the end of the shaft (for the gear to ride on). Now I see everyone is praising them here on Mud. Are they now built more trustworthy???

A Denso GR starter has been on every Toyota and most other Japanese cars since ~1980ish, now widely used, Cummings trucks, HD motorcycles, etc, yep well proven.

i have run fj60 starters for years and had no problems but always keep a spare or 2 just in case

Installation

I finally had some spare time to install the GRS and this is how it went.

Removed the old Dinosaur, heavy sucker! The new GRS is literally half in size.

First issue was a melted ground cable

Cleaned some gunk residue from around the starter opening

Installed upper bolt 18mm, another issue, cable to battery is not too short because of the GRS small frame

The lower bolt (19mm) did not fit in the hole

Elongated existing hole to fit 19mm bolt

Bolt fits perfectly now

GRS installed

Electrical Connections

Next I'll be installing new cables and making the final electrical connections
full

Pending

Mike - Nice work. I'm interested in the final outcome and review....As for having to drill one of the bolt holes, first I've head of that. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom