GCLC goes to Cruise Moab 2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to get in the shop and start doing some work!!!

Got the new tires mounted on the trailer this past Saturday. Dragged the trailer back to Jersey and today I mounted some amber LED lights on the front corners and red in the rear corners.
Pulled out the Swampers and cleaned them off. They were full of dried mud from Rami's place last October. I didn't want a chunk to blow off at 70 MPH onto someone else's windshield. Glad I took the time to do this. Besides loosing about 30 pounds of debris, I found that 1 tire had so much grit in the bead seat area that it no longer holds air. I dropped it off at the local tire shop and had it unmounted, cleaned, re-glued and ready to go.
Trailer is set, tires strapped down, chained and locked. Good to go.

Checked every item off my checklist.
Replaced a swollen coolant hose off of the oil cooler and did a coolant flush and refill.
Cleaned the radiator and AC condenser coils with my wand sprayer.
Did a tune up.
Checked AC - blows ice cubes, site glass runs clear.
Checked and re-checked fluid levels.
Made sure my winch works.

Hit the ARB compressor switch and the compressor just kept running. Crap. Bad solenoid for the rear. Had to pull the whole system off the truck, which I've been meaning to do for years now. This was a good excuse to get rid of the additional plumbing that I had installed before I had a dedicated OBA system.

I tried repairing the solenoid, but the seal on the spring loaded piston that shuts off the airflow had failed. Luckily I had 2 brand new ARB solenoids sitting in boxes. Put both of them on and saved the remaining old one as a spare. Cleaned up the compressor and the air tank, removed and cleaned the tank seal and sealing faces on the tank and housing. Cleaned out all the port threads, new teflon tape, and the whole system is now leak free.

One side note, my truck ate my 10mm stubby gear wrench. I was tightening the compressor mount and as I was finishing, the wrench slipped and fell between the fender and the firewall into a small gap. I would have had to pull the compressor back out to get it. I just said, "Screw it." At least I know where it is.

Replaced a blown fuse in the front passenger door 12V port.

At this point I can honestly say I'm done. One night next week I will re-check lower control arm bolts and give the driveshafts a final grease shot.

Ready for the 4600 mile round trip.

Good work Jon!

One thing: teflon tape isn't the best thing to use on compressed air or hydraulic systems. If any tape is hanging into the air side of the fitting there is a good chance of it ending up somewhere you don't want it. Liquid pipe sealant with teflon is a better solution.

You guys have a "slide show" planned for CMCC this year to tell your tales? With this many folks going I'm betting it would be a way cool presentation.

:cheers:
Nick

I'm pretty good with the teflon tape. On the rest of my air system I used Rectorseal which is what I use on steam systems. Holds pretty well.

We will have a ton of pictures and we're not all running the same trails together, so it'll be a wide variety over the 6, count 'em, 6 days of wheeling.
Monday through Wednesday we're running light trails to get everyone acclimated to the conditions and terrain. Kane Creek Canyon, Poison Spider Mesa, Top of the World. for those who aren't on the Kokopelli overnight trip.
Thursday through Saturday is CM12 which will bring the heavy stuff. Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, and Golden Spike or Cliff Hanger. Some of the FJCs won't do Pritchett or BTR.

If we don't get all busted up on Pritchett it should be an epic time. Been watching a ton of videos on it and it looks AWESOME! Too bad Mark isn't coming. There are no trees for him to spot me into ;)

OB is working on a neat setup with his GoPro. It'll be mounted on the top of his 4Runner during the trip out west set to take 1 frame every minute or some time delay. He'll edit that footage together and it should be fairly amusing to watch, or completely nauseating.

Final Count Down, Prep work on 07 FJ.
Completed 1" extra spacer lift in Rear, over Ironman lift, w/extend brake lines, so 35x12.5 KM2s should not Rub in wheel well, also Extended sway Bar links. All new brake pads & e'brake shoes. MAJOR PITA, No room for finger.
All New Grease in CV's,w/Xtra CV NIB spare. Added Roof Rack storage & Hi Lift Mount, w/platform inside to sleep on.
HT Ham, ready to Listen ONLY, after Learn "How to Use". In shipping route, Roto pax 2 gal, Gas & Water.
Now to Pack tools.

Too bad Mark isn't coming. There are no trees for him to spot me into ;)

No, no trees. But he might find a cliff or two to spot you over... :p

Where are the planned overnight stops? If one is close enough I might try to meet up with you folks for an evening.

Nick

Stops are "AS Needed/Wanted". It's Vacation Travel.
No Convoy too Moab. All running independant.

No, no trees. But he might find a cliff or two to spot you over... :p

Where are the planned overnight stops? If one is close enough I might try to meet up with you folks for an evening.

Nick

I have 2 overnights planned. Friday night I'm crashing at my brother's house in Charleston, Ill, and Saturday I'm in Denver. That is 2 long days of driving, but leaves me only 7 hours on Sunday. I can relax, swap tires, have a nice meal, etc.

I'll be running along I70 the whole way. Have no idea when I'd be passing you.

All vehicle maintenance is done, spare parts and tools are packed, CO2 tank is full, winch is operational and I'm absolutely stoked for 2,000 miles of travel (with a stop in Kansas City for bbq) followed immediately by "6, count 'em, 6 days of wheeling". 3 more days of work to get through first...

The street in front of my house thanks you for repairing your rear main seal, Jon! Safe travels although your Google feed shows that you have been doing four miles an hour in an alley in Columbus, Ohio for the last hour? WTF??? :D

Go Gotham go!

ForumRunner_20120428_152809.jpg

ForumRunner_20120428_152809.jpg

I really wish I could get up there to hang w/ you guys.
Just cant get it worked out.

Hope you all enjoy the Southwest. Its something special here.

OB must have been freaking out at Top of the World...or he got over his fear of heights real quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom