Furminator. Anyone ever try one? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cesar Milan is WAY WAY WAY overhyped. If you "tried to beat it out of him", you do not "Have a Way With Animals". I'm not espousing some silly pacifistic nonsense either. The "I must be alpha and show him who is dominant" dog training/behavior modification theory is utter bull****. If you play that game, you are simply demoralizing your dog, not training it, not getting to the heart of the matter.

Buy and read every word of this: Amazon.com: The Culture Clash: A Revolutionary New Way to Understanding the Relationship Between Humans and Domestic Dogs (9781888047059): Jean Donaldson: Books
Wahhh! Don't be mean to your animals, it demoralizes them! WTF?!?!?!?!?

As for the furminator, it isn;t so much the brush that makes it work, but the pre-brush bath and spray. A regular slicker brush will work just as well, especially for thick double and triple-coated breeds. Our chow mixes get a woolly, thick undercoat. We bathe them (Mane and Tail is great) and then slicker brush them. The shedding is gone for about 6 weeks to 3 months, depending on the season. Save yourself the $$$ and but a decent $15-20 slicker.

You are absolutely and utterly wrong. The furminator type comb works regardless of whether the dog has had a bath/spray. BTW, didn't you know it demoralizes your dog to give it a bath, it strips their skin and coat of natural oils, and causes skin/coat problems, you animal hater.

actually, brushing and grooming stimulates the production of natural oils and hair growth and the skin in general. one of the best places to start with "rain scald", or "rain rot", is a good vigourous grooming.

if you are not the boss of the horse/dog, they are the boss of you, by default. that's how pack/herd animals behave.

Boss ≠ fear or pain-based behavior modification.

Wahhh! Don't be mean to your animals, it demoralizes them! WTF?!?!?!?!?

What you want is a happy, well-socialized animal that knows how to behave, what is expected of him/her, and how to avoid aversives, not one who is living in fear of you for doing what comes natural.

What Milan and people who adhere to this outdated theory of dog training fail to recognize is that aversives do not need to be violent to be highly effective. In fact, such methods typically create other behavior problems, because the anxiety they create will find an outlet, and one assuredly their caretaker will not appreciate. Choke collars, electrocution, violence in general, is a twisted, deluded, uneducated way to express dominance and frustration, and it is not in the dog's best interest, nor the trainer/owner.

Boss ≠ fear or pain-based behavior modification.

What you want is a happy, well-socialized animal that knows how to behave, what is expected of him/her, and how to avoid aversives, not one who is living in fear of you for doing what comes natural.

What Milan and people who adhere to this outdated theory of dog training fail to recognize is that aversives do not need to be violent to be highly effective. In fact, such methods typically create other behavior problems, because the anxiety they create will find an outlet, and one assuredly their caretaker will not appreciate. Choke collars, electrocution, violence in general, is a twisted, deluded, uneducated way to express dominance and frustration, and it is not in the dog's best interest, nor the trainer/owner.

I agree with you. Argo was an absolute nightmare when I got him. I even took him to a well respected animal psychologist after the third week of owning him. The only thing he didn't do wrong was go to the bathroom outside. I was worried for others safety when I took him there for several lessons in dog obedience and training. It was expensive, but she assured me that if I worked with him, I could get him turned around.

For the most part I have. He is very gentle around old people and kids, but I am always very cautious, as I firmly believe that all dogs are unpredictable. He is never on a leash and will stay right by me, doesn't run off, is well mannered in the house, etc. It took a ton of patience and some tough love, but we have worked out a deal. I never really beat him per se, but he has gotten a good whack with a slipper for acting like a total jackass.

The worst night was about a month into owning him, which was about 9 1/2 years ago. He took off one night when I lived on a farm and came back in the middle of the night with about a two inch thick suit of armor made out of burrs that covered every inch of his body. That was before I knew about Cowboy Magic and we spent the next two hours in a bloody fight to yank the fxxxing things out of his fur. At one point, I grabbed him by his chest and pinned him to the ceiling with one hand while he tried his best to bite my arm off.

The next morning, we were both beat. There was a huge pile of ripped out fur and burrdock laying on the floor and he looked like he had gone through the wringer. I could tell he felt bad and he came up to me while I was laying on the couch and put his head next to mine and licked my face. Ever since then we have been the best of friends. He doesn't really snap at me anymore, he just whirls around and sticks his snout where my hand is, if I am yanking too hard on his coat.

Overall, I would say that he has taught me a lot about dogs. The one thing I will say for sure is that with some dogs, you just have to let them be who they are. He is not perfect, but hey, neither am I. He has a great personality now that he knows I am not going to desert him the way his previous owner did, and I love having him around. He turned out to be a pretty damn good dog.

Last edited:
I hear mike vick has a new grooming line coming out...

We have owned Alaskan Malamutes, and the Furminator is a friggin amazing brush. We had 3 Mals at one point in our home, and we had a total of about 1 month per year w/o shedding before the furminator. The dogs love it)if you started grooming at a YOUNG age) and it is good for their coat and skin. We use furminator about once avery other month, and a normal brush every other day. Dogs get about 2 baths a year, save for the times they play with a skunk.

Furminator? That's what I should call my Remington R15 coyote rifle.

RemR15-EOTech552a.jpg

Furminator? That's what I should call my Remington R15 coyote rifle.

Hey, didn't you read what tofufeedmeabeast wrote above (emphasis added): "Choke collars, electrocution, violence in general, is a twisted, deluded, uneducated way to express dominance and frustration, and it is not in the dog's best interest...

So, I bought a Furminator knock off at Wal Mart last night.

Holy cow! The thing is awesome! I can't believe how much fur came out of Argo!

Also, it was the first time in almost ten years that he let me roll him over on his back while I brushed his tummy out. I am totally shocked at how well the thing works! No pulling, no yanking, just barrels of fur. Plus, he really seems to like it. I can see now why he got so jumpy with that stupid rake that I had been using. I wish I would have known about this thing much sooner. For the first time, I can pet my dog with out getting a handful of fur along with it.

Best dog related purchase ever!

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Last edited:
So, I bought a Furminator knock off at Wal Mart last night.

Holy cow! The thing is awesome! I can't believe how much fur came out of Argo!

Also, it was the first time in almost ten years that he let me roll him over on his back while I brushed his tummy out. I am totally shocked at how well the thing works! No pulling, no yanking, just barrels of fur. Plus, he really seems to like it. I can see now why he got so jumpy with that stupid rake that I had been using. I wish I would have known about this thing much sooner. For the first time, I can pet my dog with out getting a handful of fur along with it.

Best dog related purchase ever!

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Fess up, Matt.....you really used it to clean the nits out of your Matt-Locks and the crabs out of your short-and-curlies:hillbilly:

Fess up, Matt.....you really used it to clean the nits out of your Matt-Locks and the crabs out of your short-and-curlies:hillbilly:

Well, if I have to "fess up" I will admit that I did try it out on my back hair. Turns out it is too matted and full of brat grease, cheese shrapnel, and possums to really make a difference. I think I might try a solo run through one of those nice automated car washes to see if I can't rinse some of the flotsam out before I go to the groomer... :grinpimp:

Anyone want to re-home a family of possums?

I've got one and it works really well. I've got a big dog that sheads like mad in the summer. My dog loves it, but of course he loves anything that has to do with attention, pets, scratching, baths.

Well, if I have to "fess up" I will admit that I did try it out on my back hair. Turns out it is too matted and full of brat grease, cheese shrapnel, and possums to really make a difference. I think I might try a solo run through one of those nice automated car washes to see if I can't rinse some of the flotsam out before I go to the groomer... :grinpimp:

Anyone want to re-home a family of possums?

With all your construction experience, have you come across a "dummy bar?" That is the tool best suited to your back hair:D

With all your construction experience, have you come across a "dummy bar?" That is the tool best suited to your back hair:D

I was at the dummy bar a few nights ago. While it was chock full of tools, I didn't meet one that could deal with back hair.

Maybe I am not on the right track...

I was at the dummy bar a few nights ago. While it was chock full of tools, I didn't meet one that could deal with back hair.

Maybe I am not on the right track...

This is what I call a "Dummy Bar", primarily because the Dummy starts his roofing career with it. It removes shingles, nails and felt. It is one heavy sombitch.
dummybar.jpg

This is what I call a "Dummy Bar", primarily because the Dummy starts his roofing career with it. It removes shingles, nails and felt. It is one heavy sombitch.

If you are holding one of those, you are either young and full of piss and vinegar, or you are dumber than owl s***. I know all about that tool. Never heard it be called a dummy bar... I am not roofing material. Save that for the young bucks and the guys with no other sense. Just looking at the picture makes me cringe. :beer:

If you are holding one of those, you are either young and full of piss and vinegar, or you are dumber than owl s***. I know all about that tool. Never heard it be called a dummy bar... I am not roofing material. Save that for the young bucks and the guys with no other sense. Just looking at the picture makes me cringe. :beer:

HELP WANTED: Dummy Bar operator. Must be young, stupid, tats(jailhouse preferred) and hungover. Apply whenever. Be willing to sweat. Salary?......as little as you can get by with, but hey, you can tell your parole officer you have a "Job":flipoff2:

Hey, didn't you read what tofufeedmeabeast wrote above (emphasis added): "Choke collars, electrocution, violence in general, is a twisted, deluded, uneducated way to express dominance and frustration, and it is not in the dog's best interest...

I'm not hunting dogs. I'm hunting coyotes.

And he needs to honor the diversity and lifestyle of hunters, and stop being intolerant and bigoted.

I'm not hunting dogs. I'm hunting coyotes.

And he needs to honor the diversity and lifestyle of hunters, and stop being intolerant and bigoted.

Well, I'm not convinced that being shot dead, is in the coyotes best interest! You will have to convince me!:p:hillbilly:

lol.

So simple question being a year later on the thread. The knock off wally-world or the real deal on the furminator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom