Builds Fujiwara's 3 linked super daily (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The next hurdle to tackle was the arms. I got some tips for the bend from Nick Gustafson on instagram and learned an important lesson. With a swag bender, whatever the angle finder sees is double of what the bend is... dully noted. The arms seem to fit though so I'm happy. I landed on a total of 30* for each bend, It worked them around the air bumps nicely. The otherside is a nightmare. Lots of people just put a bunch of angle into their sway bars but I was kinda determined to get this thing to be parallel to the ground at half travel. According to a video that Fred Williams did, its how they were meant to be set up. Sooooooooooo I gave a friend some measurements, and he cut me out this fun little arm... the measurements I gave him were a little off so we ruined the nice arm that he made me and forced it to work. I cut a giant chunk out of it and moved it to the other side of the arm... its not pretty but it works I guess. The car has about 7" of down travel and it tough to make an arm work for these. The 2nd rendition of the arm will have the bend start about an inch later.. that'll happen eventually. It was getting late and I was getting tired, as the paint was drying I accidentally dropped the arm into the trashcan too....

IMG_9468.jpeg

IMG_9474.jpeg

IMG_9478.jpeg

IMG_9479.jpeg

IMG_9480.jpeg

Out of all of the things that I've done, the sway bar helped the most. Because the sprung weight of the 80 is so high, I opted to get a 7/8" bar. It seems to pair fairly well with the amount of low speed compression put in for street driving. I still haven't wheeled it, so that update will have to come later. So for street driving, this has been a big win. The body flops around less when you hit big potholes and the overall amount of head toss has been decreased drastically. 10/10

It drove the car for about 3 days..... and then a dude pulled out in front of me and I smashed into his car😋.
Insurance found him to be at fault which is nice and nobody was hurt. So as bad as it was... it was pretty good.

IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9754.jpeg

The frame had signs of being bent because the welds on the crossmember were bent, the radiator didnt line up with the core support, and the sway bar didnt line up in its hole. So I spent about a month panicking because I didnt know what to do with the car and I had to wait for the body shop to get it on the frame straightener.

IMG_9705.jpeg

IMG_9707.jpeg

I was also freaking out at how much it was going to cost to straighten the frame.... turns out it was only $800... still bad.. but could be worse. AND I DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED IT. BUT THE FRAME HAD A GIANT BUCKLE IN IT

The frames back to being straight enough but the area that buckled is definitely fatigued. This weekend I'm hoping to plate over the area and get the bumper repainted so it looks less like it got in a car crash. I put new lights on the front but I didn't take a single picture.... thats all for now :cheers:

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

IMG_9809.jpg

Because of the way you break it down post by post reading your update was a roller coaster. New suspension/swaybar upgrade, better driving, BAM accident.

Really sad to hear about it. Looks like you are getting it back on the road though. Interested to read the next update.

Because of the way you break it down post by post reading your update was a roller coaster. New suspension/swaybar upgrade, better driving, BAM accident.

Really sad to hear about it. Looks like you are getting it back on the road though. Interested to read the next update.
That’s kinda how it went down! I was super happy and then not super happy😂

I'm hoping to be possibly wheeling in Utah in July or August. I've already got the PTO on the calendar for July, but I might need to push it back.

Your build thread is inspirational.
The 10% underdrive came in today! I’m going to try to get these in before I leave for sand hollow next month

View attachment 3610580
This was a great investment on mine. I have a feeling I'll be wishing I had the low range gears too though.

I'm hoping to be possibly wheeling in Utah in July or August. I've already got the PTO on the calendar for July, but I might need to push it back.

Your build thread is inspirational.

This was a great investment on mine. I have a feeling I'll be wishing I had the low range gears too though.
Wheeling in Utah is never a bad time! The low range gears are definitely worth it, I’ve never been mad about having them. I appreciate the kind words, I’ve built the truck while being back in college off and on! It’s been a lot of fun/work/missery, I’m glad that people are enjoying watching me figure out that I have no idea what I’m doing

I’ll be sure to bring my wheelin shoes and a lot of pampers for when I get scared. I can’t be shown up by you old timers🫡🫡🫡
Or by any puny Broncos... :eek: :rofl::p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom