front rumble puzzler, not ujoints or spindles, help! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the exact same noise. While floating the gas at highway speeds there is a grind/vibrate. Goes away when on or completly off the gas. And.......I bought a DC shaft and it really did nothing to the noise. maybe a tad quieter. I have OME J with landtank castor plates. I cant stand the noise. To me I would think pinion bearing but they are tight like the OP's. I can't wait to hear your outcome with the DC. I wish you luck. Its a big purchase to make for no gain. I did it and it hurt the bank for nothing.

Aw hell.

I had high hopes for the DC. Now, not so much. :doh:

According to this you didn't, but I don't believe the diff angle is shown accurately, since I've not measure one the pitched up, to that degree.

image-1477720668.jpg

If the front 1 degrees out, which yours is, that's (almost) like pointing straight at the diff, which fits this scenario

image-3738654399.jpg

image-1477720668.jpg

image-3738654399.jpg

According to this you didn't, but I don't believe the diff angle is shown accurately, since I've not measure one the pitched up, to that degree.

Yeah, I drew it as an exagerrated cartoon, to illustrate the overall relationship among the angles. I had a hard time getting my protractor to stick to the computer monitor. :p

to further add to this, I also had (still have) this issue. After I installed my 3 in lift, I tried running the stock front non-CV shaft and it sounded like it was going to fly out of the truck at any moment. I bought a spicer CV shaft and still had the noise and vibration, but it was better. I fell into the trap that the tacoma CV was somehow better. bought it, installed it, and guess what? Still had the noise and vibration, only worse.. I later went back to the spicer CV after the engine swap because it provided better trans pan clearance and sold the taco cv. the spicer shaft ran the smoothest, but was not totally perfect. FWIW, my front angles are perfect to run a CV shaft so in theory it should have run smooth with the CV.

about 2 months ago, I converted to part time. Guess what? I STILL have the noise but no more vibrations when in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. The noise is a rattling sound that occurs with no load on the drive train and traveling at highway speeds. It's worse with the AC on (not sure why). either my rear pinion angles are wacky or there is something bigger wrong. It could just be the rear drive shaft is done at 186k miles. I may just order a new one from toyota.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

~~~~ PROBLEM FIXED ~~~~~~

Ordered a DC shaft from Landtank via AJIK. Arrived today and installed.

Vibration is GONE.

The mystery of why the vibration took a year after the lift to show up and why it was gradually worsening remains unsolved. But I'm just happy to quit throwing money at this thing for a while. :steer:

I'm having the same noise after doing a 2.5" lift. It makes me absolutely nuts.

I haven't lubed the drive shaft since buying the truck, so I'm gonna try that first and maybe take it apart and pray for some hardened grease in there being the culprit. Y'all should pray with me.....

Anyone had any luck with installing a rear dc shaft? I have a dc front slee shaft and have had the same concern with a slee 4in lift.

Anyone had any luck with installing a rear dc shaft? I have a dc front slee shaft and have had the same concern with a slee 4in lift.

You can adjust the rear by extending lower links or shortening uppers.

Shouldn't need a rear DC shaft until lifted beyond what can correct with the rear links, and betting that's 6".

LandTank's lower links should fix your issues if it's drive shaft angle related.

Rear drives haft is almost straight going in to the rear I've shortened the uppers and added about 3degrees of pinion angle so it's sitting about 11 degrees measured off the yoke. Anyone have a degree off the yoke that's working for them?

Why didn't you have a shaft made? Most ds shops, at least around here will make a dc long spline slip yokes for $300-400... Plus you can have them install larger u joints/thicker wall tubing...

Don't get me wrong, Slees products are top notch, I just prefer to get things made locally when possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom