Front locker won't disengage and actuator question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The speed sensor would only come into play during the lock cycle i.e. must be under 5 MPH. The unlock can occur at any speed.

Update. Tested the relay voltages on the diff lock ecu. Couldn't really see anything different between the four relays. The rear locker relay (far left) clicks and works like it should. The next one to the right is in rear unlock. It also works perfectly. The third from the left is the front locker. It clicks so slightly then about 10 seconds later it produces a strong click. Strange. The 4th from the left or the far right doesn't click or do anything. My suspicion was the front relays were the problem. I switched position 1 and position 4 and still exactly the same. I'm now thinking a front locker associated ground could be the problem because the voltages looked right but I tested with a chassis ground not one from the harness.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
have u checked pin 4, 5, and 6 for continuity on the actuator connector in the locked and unlocked states? If you simultaneously get continuity between 5 &6 as well as 4&6 the actuator is probably over travelled. you should have continuity between 4 & 5 when unlocked and 5 & 6 when locked. if these are in the wrong state the locker control unit won't even try to operate the relays.

my front was over travelled and I had to physically retract the motor drive to get the states to line up properly.

hope this helps.

Also, the front and rear locker harnesses are the same. Have you tried plugging in your front actuator into the rear locker harness connection? It should help narrow down any wiring harness problems if that works.

Also, the front and rear locker harnesses are the same. Have you tried plugging in your front actuator into the rear locker harness connection? It should help narrow down any wiring harness problems if that works.

Great tips. I'll try later today and report back.

Great tips. I'll try later today and report back.
Curious to know if you ever found the definitive answer to your actuator problem? I recently took apart a gummed-up front actuator that wasn't working; cleaned it up and installed it with success--locker engaged almost immediately...and still does. Only problem is it will not unlock without manually doing the 'battery' treatment. Meter went kaput, so I have not checked continuity with 4/5/6 pins. Thanks.

Curious to know if you ever found the definitive answer to your actuator problem? I recently took apart a gummed-up front actuator that wasn't working; cleaned it up and installed it with success--locker engaged almost immediately...and still does. Only problem is it will not unlock without manually doing the 'battery' treatment. Meter went kaput, so I have not checked continuity with 4/5/6 pins. Thanks.

I still haven't figured this one out. Hasn't been a huge priority, need to check pins 4,5,6 as @ReformedJeeper mentioned and will install actuator on the rear harness to test as well.

Any updates on this @SUMMIT CRUISERS ? My front lockers wont unlock after regearing/axle swap. Mine isn’t wired yet so it m doing the 9volt/12volt battery method. I can hear it lock and unlock but it does not really unlock since my steering was binding.

Any updates on this @SUMMIT CRUISERS ? My front lockers wont unlock after regearing/axle swap. Mine isn’t wired yet so it m doing the 9volt/12volt battery method. I can hear it lock and unlock but it does not really unlock since my steering was binding.

Still no update. Definitely hasn’t been a priority. Other maintenance items on other vehicles have taken priority over the front locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom