Front Caliper Year Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scottsdale, AZ Republic of Texas by Birth
Website
www.pinnaclehomeimprovement.net
I'm almost finished converting to Mini knuckles etc. on the 72' Fj40. The Longs and hub gears will be in next Tues. Question: I think the mini axle I bought is an 85', the calipers have 4 -pistons and might be rebuilt unless there is a better option, so what is the best route to go in your MUD experience's for calipers and rotors????:bang: Searched all and not sure whichto choose/what to do. Thanks in advance.

Just added pics if that helps.
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to say it but do a search on the swap. IIRC I ended up with calipers from a 4 runner because they are larger 2 piston style and vented rotors from a FJ60.

94ish v6 4x4 mini is a good source for calipers, too. They are probably the same as the 4 runner. The rotors from fj60/62 are also good as they are vented, not solid.

unless you converted to vented rotors, you'll have to stick with the mini-truck calipers that came with the axle.

if you went to vented rotors, you can use the various V6 calipers

The calipers are INDEED various (mini truck or 4Runner) and trust me, not worth spending the time figuring out what kit to rebuild with.......I have an alleged set of the V6 4Runner calipers all nice and shiny but have no idea what kit to rebuild with, and don't really know what year or what vehicle they were sourced from. They have the S12W caliper markings though. I was told early 90s 4Runner................i'm this close to getting the damn remans or some Toy ones from Marlin or Trailgear.

Last edited:
Here is the first definitive answer I have ever found on which vehicles ran the S12W caliper. From a Datsun 280Z site no less . It seems these are not the 90s caliper that everybody says to use.

S12W

1985 4-Runner with vented rotors
1986-91 4-cyl 4-Runner
1986-88 4-cyl 4x4 truck

I knew mine were not exactly what the 90s V6 calipers appeared to be.

From the same Z site:

There are two different Toyota 4x4 calipers with the casting mark "S12+8". One for a solid rotor and one for a vented (wider) rotor. The 1979-85 4x4 calipers are for use with a solid rotor but the 1986-88 4x4 calipers are also marked "S12+8" but they are designed to fit the wider, vented rotor.
If you examine and compare the two different S12+8 calipers you will see that they are the same casting, (actually they are a pair of castings, one for each side of the caliper) except one is machined more that the other to be used on the solid (thinner) rotor.

There are advantages of using the S12+8 caliper (for the vented rotor) over the S12W caliper: It is lighter in weight; The S12+8 caliper body is not as wide as the S12W caliper, so clearance to the wheel is increased; The S12+8 caliper has two 43.0mm diameter pistons and two 33.8mm diameter pistons whereas the S12W has four 43.0mm diameter pistons. This increase in piston area requires a larger (1") diameter master cylinder when using the S12W calipers.

The belief that only the calipers with a “W” will fit a vented rotor is a myth.

If you want to use the S12W calipers then some additional application information is the 1989-1995 Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Pickup Truck.
s12solid.jpg
s12vented.jpg

Now it appears that it is cheaper to buy a remanufactured loaded caliper than to hassle with removing stuck rusted caliper pistons etc. Since I am buying new calipers and rotors should I go with vented rotors and matching calipers? The price difference is insignificant. So whats the consenus?:hmm:

78 Front Axle Disc Brake Caliper Options (4Runner)

Welcome.
Stock rotors will work just fine.

You do not need to 'stack' or 'add' backing plates....you need to open up the area on the existing backing plate where the caliper fits, as the 4runner calipers are a bit larger.

The pads that come with the loaded calipers will work just fine.

:beer:

4 Cyl. IFS Mini calipers are the same as Land Cruiser calipers. (Two small pistons, two larger diameter pistons)

V6 IFS Mini calipers are the four equal-sized larger piston calipers.

I have installed 1988 V6 4Runner calipers on a 40 series Land Cruiser disc brake knuckle after trimming the stone shield.

I have installed 1992 V6 4Runner calipers on a 60 (62) series Land Cruiser disc brake knuckle after trimming the stone shield.

There is no reason why you cannot install Land Cruiser calipers or IFS/V6 Mini calipers (prior to 1995, from my experience) onto a 40/60/Mini disc brake knuckle.

Clarification needed
I am going with the 4 piston 1988 V6 4Runner calipers recommended above by Poser
All the posts say "stock rotors" will work.
Which stock rotors:
1. 4Runner Vented
2. 4Runner Solid
3. LC FJ40 Vented

:confused::confused:

I used calipers from a V6 91 4 Runner with new vented Landcruiser Rotors from Napa. I had to do some grinding on the caliper body to allow my 15" rim to fit and also had to make about a 2" or so long cut-out in my dust cover for the caliper to bolt up. Calipers bolt right up and my 40 stops great.

I used calipers from a V6 91 4 Runner with new vented Landcruiser Rotors from Napa. I had to do some grinding on the caliper body to allow my 15" rim to fit and also had to make about a 2" or so long cut-out in my dust cover for the caliper to bolt up. Calipers bolt right up and my 40 stops great.

Were those the 15" disc rims or the 15" drum rims?
I will be running the non-riveted drum rims

They were aftermarket 15" rims.

Has anyone run the 4Runner calipers with the non-riveted drum rims?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom